a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I've been a little out of sorts since last Friday because my 15 year old daughter was told by her doctor at, a recent check up, that she had some sort of mass in her lower abdomen. Now, as a parent, Mrs. Elk and I didn't really want to hear something like that. She was admitted to the hospital on Monday morning where they proceeded to poke and prod her and give her meds to get this thing figured out. I've spent the last three nights at the hospital and Mrs. Elk stayed during the day.

They finally did an ultrasound yesterday morning and told us is was a massive tumor cover her right ovary. They couldn't tell us if it was malignant or binine (SP?) but at that point we weren't very attentive. They put her in surgery at 2 pm yesterday and it took about an hour. The doctor came out and, with a smile, told us it was binine and she was fine. I think I about lost my legs and nearly fell over from the relief. I got a picture from the doctor and I'll post it because it's incredible, my daughter weighs under a hundred pounds. The tumor, they called it a Hermoid tumor (made from the ovary that contains bones and teeth), weighed over 2 pounds.

I just wanted to share this because most of my posts are joking with Twinnie and company and I wanted you all to know I'm still a Father and things affect me just like the rest of you. Thanks

Attachments

• mvc-002f.jpg
    mvc-002f.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 187

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Elk - I'm so glad your daughter is alright and the tumor was benign. God speed on her recovery.

My best wishes to your whole family.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
WOW! Man, what can you say to that? I can't imagine having to go through that situation with either of my kids.
Thank God that everthing seems to have ended well.
I hope your daughter will heal quickly.

-Papa

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Elk- I cant even imagine the roller coaster ride you and your family have been. I am glad to hear everything turned out ok.

It amazes me that something can get that large before getting noticed.

Jeff

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by Papakeith
WOW! Man, what can you say to that? I can't imagine having to go through that situation with either of my kids.
Thank God that everthing seems to have ended well.
I hope your daughter will heal quickly.

-Papa

Here's what you say to that - 'Happy Father's Day'.

Nothing could be more joyous than knowing your sick child is O.K. Thank God! I am glad all is well Elk.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Holy smokes, Elk! Here's wishing your daughter a speedy recovery. :) (and a couple nights of restful sleep for you and Momma Elk)

A little aside, though, I can't believe your 15 year old daughter weighs the same as my 7 year old son! :eek: I think I may have to change his name to Ox.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Wow!!!

My best goes out to you and your family, that had to be tough!!!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
elk - Best wishes to you and your family!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Elk, I know you had to be scared to death. I'm glad that things have turned out so well. Send your daughter my best.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
thank god dude. went through alot of the big C stuff over the past few years, and 3 months after my mothers death from cancer the wife has a breast lump, then ovarie lumps. all checked out ok. i can't imagine the feelings you had with that news about your daughter. i'm thankful she was ok. btw, never appologize for bustin' someones' biscutts, i think everyone that matters knows it's all in good fun. again. glad to hear the good news.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
WOW! Glad everything worked out!

Best wishes

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Thanks all, and it was quite amazing she didn't notice it sooner. She didn't even show it and that's what was even scarier. It was pushing all her internal organs around, kinda like the first corner after the gate drops. All of them were jockying for position as it grew in size, which took around 8 months! Happy Father's Day indeed!;)

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by a454elk
The doctor came out and, with a smile, told us it was binine and she was fine.
:) :) :)

Give her a big hug from the DRN gang. I'm happy all turned out well . :)

Scott

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I'm sure glad everything worked out OK for your daughter, elk. The big C is pretty common these days but can still be pretty scary.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Holy Smokes! I can't imagine what its like for a parent (or a 15 yr old) to have a scare like that put into them. Glad everything is working out. Wish her a speedy recovery for me.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Dang Elk that's huge, glad it's benign. Send on happy thoughts to your daughter and wish her a speedy recovery from me too.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Glad to hear everything is OK. As a father of 3 sons, I know how it hurts to see them even get just a little bit sick...
You must be very relieved that it was benign and she is on the road to recovery!

-Jeffd

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Man Elk, I didnt even know your were a dad! I aint got no clue what its like to have kids (im only 18 you know), but glad to hear everything is OK.

chadk01

Sponsoring Member
Aug 19, 2000
Elk, I am very glad to hear everything is going to be OK. I could not imagine having that happen to my daughter and going through the stress and anxiety I'm sure you went through...

Thank God.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
dave, you have no idea what happens when you become a Dad, you start looking at people a different way, kinda under a microscope. You take things alot more personal too, when it comes to your kids. It's all good though, just some rough times in between!;)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Elk really glad to hear she is okay and as far as your outlook changing when you are a parent you are not kidding. There is nothing worse then the fear you feel when the youngones are hurting.
I think as a get well gift maybe a belated trip to DW for the family

Top Bottom