Bel Ray HR1 in kdx 220, piston dry?

cyclers10

Oct 19, 2000
My friend just picked up his bike from the shop.It was repaired for a bad crank seal. The mechanic asked what oil he was using for his mix, he said the top end was very dry? Told him bel ray hr1 at 32:1 , he said dont use that because bel ray is not good at high temps. He has just retired from the over 40 class and in all his years of racing and testing that he found that kawi premix is the best against thermal breakdown. What do you guys think, this mechanic is told to me as being one of the best,even has his own shop, just like your input thanx, by the way when we picked up the bikes the dealer told us to use bel ray, go figure? Just a little confused thats all.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
I wouldn't worry, it just sounds to me like you have the bike jetted perfectly, preventing a lot of buildup. To qoute someone that I am sure knows what he is talking about (Rich "The Slayer" ;) ), a properly designed two-stroke oil will vaporize and burn with the fuel. Most modern two-stroke oils will provide all the protection you need. Oil doesn't have to be running out of the cylinder to provide good protection. I have never personally used Bel-Ray, but I am sure a lot of people here do.

gobstoper

Feb 24, 2001
Yep, nothing but. Mostley H1R but a few bottles of SI-7 also. I had two summers on my rebuilt engine when I pulled it apart last weekend to replace some missing powr valve E-clips. Thought I'd do a top end since it had quite a few hot, dusty miles on it. The piston/cylinder looked very good, with most of the wear on the skirt. One side looked polished (wave pattern worn off) and a little blow by. NO carbon build up on the rings or groove. The chamber was fairly clean and the exhaust ports looked pretty good also. No dincernable looseness in the big end bearing. Very little carbon on the piston dome.

My point, the oil is doing it's job and I'm very confindent in it because I put this engine together last time and know what kind of shape it was in. Use it.

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
I used H1R for the last two summers with no problem at all at a 40:1 mix, this summer im using yamalube 2R, only because my source for the belray closed up shop, only thing i noticed was a build-up of carbon in my fmf pipe that was pretty tough to get out, but id think no matter what full synthetic you run youll have that, just normal, hot gasses hitting the colder header causing a build-up a bit of oven cleaner fixed that. im always a bit suspisious of any mechanic that blames things on oils especally full synthetic ones, id look at the jetting or the float level ect.. id suspect something mechanical before id suspect bad oil, just my 0.2

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
I use MC-1 and have since i got the bike. thats like 8 years! and it has never been rebuilt yet.But i still eat TT-R 250' for breakfast!so as far as that guy is concerned hes on crack.Bel-ray makes good oil.

Jeff Roberts

May 5, 2001
I just did the top ends in both my sons (ident twins) bikes, a 250 and 200 yamaha IT. We have run two seasons ,my honda also on Golden Spectra @ 50:1 . the bores and skirts looked great and there was plenty of oil in the motor. I run the same mix in my chain saw and weed wacker and never have had any problems at all. I run BelRay Gearsaver in the transmissions and seem to have no trouble. If you don't trust the product, then don't use them!!!!!!! Just my .02; Jeff Roberts

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
rich thinking of trading that blue bike for a green one? it may be your best bet, was suprised to see you here, come'on you can admit it, you really want a KDX!, lol:eek: :eek:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
ohboy! more about oil!!!

I used HR1 once.
40:1. Jetting perfect.
Got the intake stickies.

Everything else the same with a number of other oils. No problem.

Yeah..'that can't happen' etc.

But so it was.

Top Bottom