Belray Grease in Powervalve and suspension linkage???

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
The service manual on my 01 CR250 calls for a moly grease "paste" on the powervalve parts and rear suspension linkage. I was thinking about using Belray waterproof grease in these areas. Belray is not a moly grease. What do you think about using Belray in these applications?

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I don't know about the powervalve linkage, but I use BelRay waterproof grease in the suspension linkages of both my CRs.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
I use marine grade wheel bearing grease ( Blue Mystic ) on my linkage, steering stem and other frame items. All I ever put on my powervalve linkage on my '01 CR was the Honda HP2 premix oil. Never had a problem - and I ride more than most.

DirtDawg

Oct 16, 1999
Go to your dealer and ask for Honda PRO-MOLY 60, mine came in a small cartridge style tube. Very good for high temps and high loads. It is great for swing-arm and linkage needle bearings too.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The reason that a Moly rich grease is recommended is that moly works in a way that grease can't.
Especially in high heat appications like power valves. In that sort of situation the oil will fall out of suspension with the soap base. If there were nothing else in the grease, this would be the end of the greases ability to protect the metals. However, with a moly rich type of grease, the molybdenum disulfide molecules are distributed on the surfaces of the metals at application. Once the grease sees high temps, and the oil starts to seep out of the soap base, the molybdenum disulfide will still be there protecting the metals from wear, as the moly actually adheres itself to the metals like little microscopic magnets, and will continue to protect. This is something that multi-purpose lithium based grease cannot do on it's own.

There really is no such thing as a "waterproof grease", however, some are built to withstand emulsification (mixing of oil and water) better than others. And yes, using these type of greases is fine for linkages and other bearings, but the addition of moly is a bonus that NO grease, that does not contain any sort of barrier type additive such as moly, can accomplish.

Your best bet is to use a moly fortified grease when it is called for.

Top Bottom