Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I got this in an email and can't vouch for it's authenticity.

Make of it what you will.

Get Off His Back (Updated)
By Ben Stein
Published 9/2/2005 11:59:59 PM
***UPDATED: Sunday, Sept. 4, 2005, 2:13 p.m.***
A few truths, for those who have ears and eyes and care to know the truth:
1.) The hurricane that hit New Orleans and Mississippi and Alabama was an
astonishing tragedy. The suffering and loss of life and peace of mind of the
residents of those areas is acutely horrifying.
2.) George Bush did not cause the hurricane. Hurricanes have been happening for
eons. George Bush did not create them or unleash this one.
3.) George Bush did not make this one worse than others. There have been far
worse hurricanes than this before George Bush was born.
4.) There is no overwhelming evidence that global warming exists as a man-made
phenomenon. There is no clear-cut evidence that global warming even exists.
There is no clear evidence that if it does exist it makes hurricanes more
powerful or makes them aim at cities with large numbers of poor people. If
global warming is a real phenomenon, which it ! may well be, it started long
before George Bush was inaugurated, and would not have been affected at all by
the Kyoto treaty, considering that Kyoto does not cover the world's worst
polluters -- China, India, and Brazil. In a word, George Bush had zero to do
with causing this hurricane. To speculate otherwise is belief in sorcery.
5.) George Bush had nothing to do with the hurricane contingency plans for New
Orleans. Those are drawn up by New Orleans and Louisiana. In any event, the
plans were perfectly good: mandatory evacuation. It is in no way at all George
Bush's fault that about 20 percent of New Orleans neglected to follow the plan.
It is not his fault that many persons in New Orleans were too confused to
realize how dangerous the hurricane would be. They were certainly warned. It's
not George Bush's fault that there were sick people and old people and people
without cars in New Orleans. His job description does not include making sure
every adult in America has a car, is in good health, has good sense, and is
mobile.
6.) George Bush did not cause gangsters to shoot at rescue helicopters taking
people from rooftops, did not make gang bangers rape young girls in the
Superdome, did not make looters steal hundreds of weapons, in short make New
Orleans into a living hell.
7.) George Bush is the least ****** President in mind and soul there has ever
been and this is shown in his appointments over and over. To say otherwise is
scandalously untrue.
8.) George Bush is rushing every bit of help he can to New Orleans and
Mississippi and Alabama as soon as he can. He is not a magician. It takes time
to organize huge convoys of food and now they are starting to arrive. That they
get in at all considering the lawlessness of the city is a miracle of bravery
and organization.
9.) There is not the slightest evidence at all that the war in Iraq has
diminished the response of the government to the emergency. To say otherwise is
pure slander.
10.) If the energy the news media puts into blaming Bush for an Act of God
worsened by stupendous incompetence by the New Orleans city authorities and the
malevolence of the criminals of the city were directed to helping the morale of
the nation, we would all be a lot better off.
11.) New Orleans is a great city with many great people. It will recover and be
greater than ever. Sticking pins into an effigy of George Bush that does not
resemble him in the slightest will not speed the process by one day.
12.) The entire episode is a dramatic lesson in the breathtaking callousness of
government officials at the ground level.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
He expressed what I've been thinking all along...well put.

W has been a good president, and he's exhibited a lot of backbone on tough issues, but I still think he's been a bit of a pansy on several issues... I would prefer someone who is more hardcore conservative next. Unfortunately, I think the Republican party is going to back a moderate in the next elections to capture more votes.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
people will discount what Ben Stein says, though, with "He was a speech writer for Richard Nixon"

I guess that means nothing he says is worth listening to :|

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I like the prez, but I take exception to some of his appointments. I believe the head of FEMA needs to be someone who has military experience on the logistics of a huge crisis like this.

Like this cat, what the hell is he doing working as the head of FEMA? :bang:

NBC News and news services
Updated: 1:36 p.m. ET Sept. 9, 2005

WASHINGTON - Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown is being removed from his role managing Hurricane Katrina relief efforts, government sources said Friday.

Government sources disclosed the move but spoke on condition of anonymity because the change hadn't been officially announced. Homeland Security chief Michael Chertoff was expected to announce the change at a 1:45 p.m. ET news conference.

Brown will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad Allen, who earlier this week was named his deputy to oversee relief and rescue efforts.

Brown is being sent back to Washington from Baton Rouge, La. He was the primary official overseeing the federal government's response to the disaster.

FEMA has been criticized for its response to the disaster, and Time magazine on Friday reported that Brown’s official biography overstated his emergency-management experience.

Brown's biography on the FEMA Web site says he had once served as an "assistant city manager with emergency services oversight," and a White House news release in 2001 said Brown had worked for the city of Edmond, Okla., in the 1970s "overseeing the emergency-services division."

However, a city spokeswoman told the magazine Brown had actually worked as "an assistant to the city manager."

"The assistant is more like an intern," Claudia Deakins told the magazine. "Department heads did not report to him." Time posted the article on its Web site late on Thursday.

A former mayor of Edmond, Randel Shadid, confirmed that Friday. Shadid told The Associated Press that Brown had been an assistant to the city manager, and never assistant city manager.

“I think there’s a difference between the two positions,” said Shadid. “I would think that is a discrepancy.”

FEMA, White House response
Nicol Andrews, deputy strategic director in FEMA’s office of public affairs, told Time that while Brown began as an intern, he became an “assistant city manager” with a distinguished record of service.

“According to Mike Brown,” Andrews told Time, a large portion of points raised by the magazine are “very inaccurate.”

White House press secretary Scott McClellan referred all questions about Brown’s resume to FEMA.

McClellan said the White House’s earlier statements that Brown retained the president’s confidence remain true — but he declined to state that confidence outright.

“I’d leave it where I left it,” McClellan said. “We appreciate the work of all those who have been working around the clock to respond to what has been on the worst natural disasters in our nation’s history.”

Other work experience
Brown, a lawyer, was appointed as FEMA's general counsel in 2001 and became head of the agency in 2003. The work in Edmond is the only previous disaster-related experience cited in the biographies. Brown served as commissioner of the International Arabian Horse Association before taking the FEMA job.

U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman, a Connecticut Democrat, had cited Brown's Edmond experience as "particularly useful" for FEMA during a hearing in 2002.

Critics, including some Republicans, have blasted Brown for delays and missteps in the federal government's response to Katrina's deadly and devastating assault on the Gulf Coast last week. Some have demanded his ouster.

Bush last week gave Brown a word of support, saying "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

This week, Bush put the U.S. Coast Guard's chief of staff in charge of the federal recovery effort in New Orleans and gave Vice President Dick Cheney the job of cutting through bureaucratic delays.

Other FEMA officials
The Washington Post reported on Friday that five of eight top FEMA officials had come to their jobs with virtually no experience in handling disasters. The agency's top three leaders, including Brown, had ties to Bush's 2000 presidential campaign or the White House advance operation.

Former Edmond city manager Bill Dashner recalled for Time that Brown had worked for him as an administrative assistant while attending Central State University.

"Mike used to handle a lot of details. Every now and again I'd ask him to write me a speech. He was very loyal. He was always on time. He always had on a suit and a starched white shirt," Dashner told Time.

Edmond's population is about 70,000.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
So it's just like on the show "office space", I'm the assitant regional manager! No you're the Assistant to the Regional Manager :coocoo:

It's not what you know but who and when you get caught as a fruad you just get moved to another post. I'm sure if the Calvary needed to go in and help, then his experience as commisioner of the "International Arabian Horse Association" would be very helpful! :|

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Great read Vic.

It really blows my mind how there are so many people blaming Bush, and blaming global warming. Hurricanes will happen, just like tornadoes, earthquakes, and tsunamis, we can't stop the weather from happening.

I could go on forever...but I won't.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
squeaky said:
It really blows my mind how there are so many people blaming Bush, and blaming global warming. Hurricanes will happen, just like tornadoes, earthquakes, and tsunamis, we can't stop the weather from happening.

No joke. Water is Mother Nature's best weapon. Nothing that this present administration has done could possibly be the cause of any natural disasters. To say so is pure idiocy.
Some people actually believe that Bush CAUSED THE HURRICANE because he didn't sign the Kyoto Treaty... :coocoo:

Ryan

3SuperSports

Jan 13, 2004
This is just another opportunity for "the other party" to critisize and attempt to gain points for the next election.
Hillary Clinton is calling for an investigation into the matter! Pllllllllleeeeeeaaaassssseeeee. If her husband hadn't cut our military to the bone in order to pay the deficit, maybe we could have responded quicker!

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
jaction125 said:
Bush last week gave Brown a word of support, saying "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."
Now this comment could be taken in the same mannaer as
bsmith said:
I'm the assitant regional manager! No you're the Assistant to the Regional Manager
And I think Brown is on his way out. It's politics, the music has stopped and poor Mr. Brown is without a chair.

As far as the hurricane goes I'll state the obvious, and what I posted earlier elsewhere

The inevitable has arrived :think:

BTW Brian, I love the show "Office Space" The show closely resembles my short 4 year stint at Sprint :rotfl:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
taraker said:
The show closely resembles my short 4 year stint at Sprint :rotfl:

Hey tarpaper, if I read the sarcasm in your post correctly, short 4 is an oxymoron of sorts or a pain in the starfish at least.

Top Bottom