Benefit Race in Dodge City, KS

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
Just thought I'd post this for anyone local who reads this forum, or who would like a road trip.

My father-in-law has had several medical issues the last 6 months. He had colon surgery in July and the doctor diagnosed a blood clot in his leg for a pinched nerve. Five days later they had to amputate his right leg below the knee due to lack of circulation. Ten days after being released from the hospital from this surgery, their house was struck by lightning and burnt to the ground. He has since had a quadruple bypass and is facing at least one other colon surgery.

The Benefit race is Saturday Nov 6th at Tumbleweed Raceway in Dodge City, KS. This is a motocross race but this track is very tame. On Sunday Nov 7th, there is a harescramble at Plains, KS. Below is a link to the website that details the race.

Thanks,
Susan Ellis
Benefit Race
http://www.dcwkdr.com/benefit.htm

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Susan, this is very tough news. My prayers are with your family.
Hey Heartland Spodes! I really feel this is a good time for a road trip. I will get my schedule set up.
Post up and set your schedules. This is something we can pull off and it is definitely for a good cause. If we have to, we'll get them to put a couple of trees in the middle of the track just for us woods riders. It could be a full blown Heartland Spode MX. Just kidding on that but let's do this.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Wow, talk about a rough run of luck. I might be able to do this.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
We have a Hare Scramble there tomorrow and I will ask what time the gates will close for those who would be camping there. There are no hook ups that I know of. I am pretty sure they stay fairly late doing prep work. I will also ask about hotel rooms and rates and post them when we get back.

Please don't feel obligated to come if you are busy. I know with football and the holidays quickly approaching schedules are hectic. :ohmy:

The track is easy to find. If you come up to Dodge on Hwy 283, just South of town will be the Hwy 56 Intersection. Turn left and head West on 56. On the South side of 56 you will see a car track about a mile down 56. Turn South at the entrance to the car track. Continue straight on the dirt road about 3/4 a mile south to the entrance of the MX Park. Pull in and go about 1/2 mile to get up to the MX Track Pits. You will pass a go-cart track on your way.

Thanks so much... Susan

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Let me know who will be making it, I'll send an entry fee so I can be there in spirit.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
Update:

There will be someone there at the track all night so the gate will be open.

Hotels in the area:
Best Western - 620-227-2125
Budget Host Inn - 620-227-8146
Comfort Inn - 620-338-8700
Dodge House - 620-225-9900 (Used to be a Holiday Inn)
Econolodge - 620-225-0231

I have only stayed at the Dodge House, which is pretty decent, so I can't vouch for the rest of them.

Susan

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I hate to say this, but work is still hammering me. 1st DW04 and now a weekend with the HS. Woe is me!:(

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
That's OK!!!

Trust me, I know how it is. But I appreciate the attempt. It's just too bad that we live so far from you guys. I know my husband has a great time riding with you and if we lived closer I'm sure you would have him hooked on Enduro's.

We have had a great response for the race. We did some advertising in local newspapers. They gave us a price break since it is a fundraiser for an individual and not a fundraiser for the track. This should be the highest rider attended race all year if everyone that says they will be there actually shows up. Usually Saturday races aren't attended because of work, but I think this might be an exception.

Thanks everyone!!!
Susan

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Well great, I have the flu. Looks like I am out.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Kings Cross!!!!!!!! Stay away from ME! Hope you get to feeling better.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
Sorry it has taken so long to post an update.....

The day was a perfect 72 degrees with NO wind. Pretty unusual for around here. Close to 100 riders entered the races and we had a great spectator crowd. Years ago my father-in-law ran an MX track here in Johnson. He also helped quite a bit with an old track in Dodge City. Since everyone was so close friends and everyone had boys that rode they had formed a club called Crash Team Racing. This team would then travel to Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas and Florida racing. Well, turns out the Crash Team Racing had a surprise reunion at the track for my Father-in-law. There were people there he hadn't seen in 20 years.

At the end of the races they presented my in-laws with a check for $2800.00 that was raised that day. Needless to say everyone was very emotional and had had a great time. They also had items that had been donated from local businesses that were raffled off.

So.... Off to Plains, KS for Sunday's Hare Scramble. (Not in conjunction with the benefit race).
My 11 yo son Bryan received a new KTM 85 SX about 3 weeks ago. This was his third race on the bike. He made a pass for the lead about 25 minutes into the 1 hour race. I had just turned my attention to my 9 yo when someone gasped and said "Did you see that crash?". I looked up the hill to see my son sitting up next to his bike on the ground. All of a sudden his head rolled around and he fell over flat on his back. About that time the EMT's took off up the hill. I waited because my brother-in-law was right there. He came to get me and said he was hurt pretty badly. As soon as I got up there the EMT's said he had a concussion, a badly split lip and a broken arm.
We took him to the hospital and he had broken both bones in his right arm. (He's left handed). It was what they call a deformity break, meaning it had a bend in his arm where there isn't supposed to be! (It was sickening to look at it) Since he was unconscious for a few seconds we had to wait until Monday to operate. Two plates and 10 screws later he is back together. His helmet broke at the mouthguard area and his upper teeth came down and tore his lower lip away from his gum. They had to stitch that back up.

He's doing fine but we have been out of commission for the last few days. He has been cleared to go back to school on Thursday but I think he is still too out of it from the pain pills to make it.

Anyway, it was a long weekend and I am ready to get back to normal. I appreciate the support shown here and look forward to when we can make it back down there again...

Thanks,
Susan

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
That bone break looks alot worse then it really is. Thekid broke both arms at once a year ago and one had the same type break. His arm still has a bow to it but no other effects.
Hope he is healing well and that his desire to ride continues also hope you are recoverring- I know how hard it is to see one of your kids layed out on the track no matter how minor the injury.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…