kawakid

Dec 18, 2003
Last weekend at my race i think a rock flew up and hit my back brake rotor. It bent it so that when on the stand, the wheel is really hard to turn because of the bent area, is there any way to bend it back in place, or temporarily fix it thank you.

braulsy

Jan 14, 2004
bent rotor

If You Have A Bent Rotor, I Dont Think It Would Even Be Worth The Time To Try To Straighten It, There So Hard I Dont Think You Could Do It

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I know it might sound nuts, but these are easily made straight again. Get a large adjustable wrench and find the bent spot. Simply bend it the opposite way. It takes some force, but less than you would expect.

Obviously, if it is cracked or visibly damaged, this will not work. If it is the normal "slightly bent", go for it!

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Years ago I bent a front rotor at a regional GNC race. We used what we had, a 12" adjustable wrench to bent it back. It let me finish the weekend, but I did replace it just to be on the safe side.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
The metal has some memory in it and will usually go right back where it was with just a little effort.

Are you sure it is bent? A bent rotor will usually spin pretty good, but will move the caliper around on the "floaters", or push the pads out wide. If it is hard to turn all around, maybe something has the aforementioned "floaters" bound up.

mxchamp85

Apr 26, 2003
Better to be safe than sorry...i would buy a new brake rotor, it can be bad for your bike to be running even a slightly bent or warped rotor, and at around $60 it can be alot cheaper than fixing the whole brake caliper.
--MC

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
A slightly bent rotor (which it will be after you "straighten" it) will eat brake pads in short order. It's cheeper to replace the rotor than feed the bent one pads.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
on my old kaw I bent the front rotor, and it was the stupid floating type too. I kinda bent it back to where I could ride while the replacement was on order. Never could get the vibration outa the bent one.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
I bent a front disc on my '89 KX. It wasn't bent too badly, and it staightened beautifully. To the best of my knowledge, it is still on the bike.

Not that I would recommend it, but it worked for me!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Bend it back on the bike and use the brake caliper to make sure it's running true. If you can't get it to run ture then you'll need a new rotor. Most of them can be straightened with no problem.

Top Bottom