mush

Apr 30, 2001
Where's the best place to look for fork replacements? Stock Kawasaki parts are always expensive. Can forks be straightened?

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
I had an old 81 KDX 175 that I bought for $500. I smacked head on into a 4 wheeler and twisted my forks and bent my front tire. My dad worked at a place with a hydraulic press. Because the bike was a beater cabin cruiser and I didn't race or anything like that, I had him put the forks in the hydraulic press and they came out quite straight. I had the rim straightened, spokes tightened, forks pressed, new front fender, and back on trails for < $40. They may have leaked a TINY bit of front fork oil, but on a $500 machine I didn't give a rip.

IMO it was fine. Front tire wobbled ever so slightly, but unnoticeable at trail speeds.

mush

Apr 30, 2001
Originally posted by Canadian Dave
What's bent?
Just eyeballing the left fork, I'd say it's not bent or is very little. The right fork is offset about an 1 inch back from where it should be. The bend is right below the bottom triple clamp.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Call Fredette Racing Products and see if Jeff has an extra fork he can part with. If he doesn't he might be able to direct you to someone who does.

David

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Straightening forks is easy if they are not creased. Once they are it’s game over.

For a start make sure they are not just twisted in the triple clamps. Loosen the triple clamps, (all bolts) & twist the wheel back & forth to centre like you used to on your bicycle when you ran it into the neighbour’s car.

Prop the bike up & pull out the f.wheel & replace the axle (but check the axle on a straight edge to see it’s straight). Twist the forkleg (with bolts all loose again). If it’s bent it will offer resistance & the slider will move left to right on the axle unless it’s too bent!. Repeat with other fork leg. In hideous cases the triple clamps can bend too, but not usually.

Take fork to any competent bike shop & say ‘fix’ Or strip (the fork pervy) & find a friend who has a press & can spell his own name the same way at least twice.

Good luck.

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
Back in '87 I bent the forks on my YZ 250. The stantion tubes were not creased but the forks were noticably bent backwards when you viewed the bike from the side. I sent them off to a dirt bike dealership in Anchorage and they straightened them out. I don't remember the cost so it must not have been too expensive. I rode the bike for another year with those forks and never had a problem with weeping seals or anything.

I might shy away from straightening forks if I raced professional MX/SX but for trail riding and general screwing around the fix worked out great.

Top Bottom