Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
Okay I crashed while riding yesterday and after picking my bike back up I noticed that the front wheel was pointing to the left. Automattically I thought great I bent my front forks. So after getting back to camp I decided to wack my front tire against my friends truck tire to see if could straighten it, and low and behold it worked. Now my question is should I ride the bike? Everything looks alright, but I can't figure out what was out of wack on it. Before I go out riding i'm going to take the front end off and make sure everything looks okay. But I'm not smart enough to figure out why the front tire was cockeyed like that. Thanks for any inpute.

kurt15

May 22, 2006
you probably just turned the forks in the triple clamps, you might try tightening the bolts so they turn again but besides that you're probably ok would be my thinking.

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
You know I was thinking that the forks just turned in the clamps, but I don't see how that can cause the front wheel to point to the left because the fork legs turn naturally in the fork tubes.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The fact that something shifted in the first place means that either a lot force was applied in the crash or things were not as tight as they should have been.

The fact that you got it back into somewhat straight alignment indicates to me that things were not very tight.

I recommend taking the front wheel and forks off. Inspect the forks and front axle to make sure nothing is bent, then reassemble and align. Tighten everything down properly and you shoudl be all set. Should be more than a hour job max (unless you find something bent....)

Rod

Ncognito

Jan 19, 2007
I've had that happen before, I think mine was because the axle got all twisted in the clamps and made the forks bind up. Have you ever taken your front wheel off and put it back on and it not be straight because you tightened it down in the wrong sequence ? Once I loosened my triple clamps up and took the front wheel and axle bolt off for inspection, just put it back together and if it goes straight your good... if not, you probably got a bent tube or triple clamp.

Top Bottom