ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
Looking to buy a new four stroke for 02. I do woods riding and hare scrambles. I have narrowed my choices to the following:

-Berg XC470
-Husky TE 450
-KTM 400 (SX or MXC)

Anybody got experience with the Husky or the Berg?

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I see little reason to get a 'berg or a Husky unless you just want to be different. We had a '00 Husaberg 501FC (MX model), and it was cool, but got damaged from lack of lubrication or a manufacturing defect (the bike was maintained religiously), and a lot of similar stories surface around here. The Huskies seem to be solid bikes, but there are a lot of KTMs out there, and hence a lot of information about them. That's why I now ride a '02 520 SX.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Dunno about the berg, but the husky is a new model that very few people except Husky's test riders and some factory racers have ridden thus far. Also won't be available till december at the earliest. I'm not expecting mine before January. Need to give to give it a couple months before there can be any real comparisons.

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
H'bergs always work well in the woods, agruably better than any other bike made, but you MUST maintain them. If my goal was to collect trophies, I would race a 'berg.
Husky has a reputation for not making junk. The suspension may not be perfect out of the box and some magazines may not rave about hte motor, but you can rest assured that the bike won't make you any slower and it won't break. My vote is for the Husky. You can't go wrong with the KTM though.

Last edited:

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
I'd buy the Pumkin first. KTM's are making the "big 4" the "big 5"...not quite as popular as the Jap iron...but close. Aftermarket parts are starting to become available. KTM builds a quality product, first bike that I thought was better engineered than Honda's I've owned.

If you don't like it, you CAN sell it. The RFS bikes are still in somewhat short supply. The Husky and Berg are a bit harder to move.... Don't believe me? I've got a friend with a Husky 570 with about 2 months riding on it....it's been for sale for 6 months.:eek: I could have bought it for a song! but I bought the KTM;)

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Husky!

But why would you say TE450 Husqvarna, and MXC or SX KTM???

The equivilant Husky is the TC450.

My current bike is a Husky my last bike was a KTM. The Husky was cheaper. Not sure what the new ones will cost. I would be happy with either, but I think the Huskies look better. I would go with the best deal and dealer. Around here there isn't a dealer for either so that is not a consideration for me.

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
I don't own any of them but if I was to buy right now I'd go with the Husqvarna. The build quality products. KTM's are good also but the new 2002 Huskies look so sweet. Plus the new TC250 & TC450 MX bikes are E-start! They also have a TE250 and TE450 with e-start. The TE570 doesn't say e-start but I'm sure it is if the 250 & 450 are. I've always wanted a Husky since i was a teen back in the '70's, but could never afford them (some things never change).

If the weight is down from the '01's I think KTM will have some competition. Most people go with the KTM's because they are more available , hence more popular. That does not neccesarily make them better. I was thinking a KTM would be my next bike but was always leary of spending so much for something I thought was ugly as heck. So hey, maybe I'm a little superficial but it's my money :).

The TE450 will be my next bike. And when I go to buy I'll be looking for a used one first since by the time I can afford another bike the 2002's will be a few years old :)

Last edited:

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
Originally posted by Wild Hare
The Husky and Berg are a bit harder to move.... Don't believe me? I've got a friend with a Husky 570 with about 2 months riding on it....it's been for sale for 6 months.:eek: I could have bought it for a song! but I bought the KTM;)
Wild hare, What do you consider"a song" in the mean green?
What doesn't your friend like about the bike?
Which model 570?

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
local dealer support

ktm033, this is a no brainer. You live in Traverse City MI, beautiful town that is not exactly a hot spot for berg and husky parts.

Stick to the KTM's, you've got a decent dealership in town and RFS's were built for our terrain.

Just a totally unbiased opinion.:p

RAS

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
rickshaw,

appreciate your opinion, have what appears to be a very capable husky/tm/gas gas dealer in Jenison, and a very capable Cannondale dealer near Cadillac, hmmmmmm, looks like the berg maybe out, the only dealer in the State wasn't too impressive during his phone interview.....:think

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
One Dollar writes:

"I was thinking a KTM would be my next bike but was always leary of spending so much for something I thought was ugly as heck."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blasphemer! Hold thy tongue, lest thou truly be stricken in thine iniquity! Let not thy mouth cast aspersions on the front fender design, nay, nor on the fuel tank, though it be black as night, nor on that most holy of hues, the most sublime and regal Orange. Nay, let not thy mouth condemn thee, but rather prostrate thyself in repentance before the Orange One, who sits on a seat that is harder than diamond and judgeth the blue rider and the red alike. Yeah, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the whoops, I shall fear no endo, for Thou art with me. Thy rod and thy crankshaft they comfort me. Thou preparest a sign-in table for me in the presence of mine enemies. My spooge runneth over, and I shall dwell in the house of the Pumkin forever.

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
great mountain bikes!!!

cannondale, I agree what a fantastic mountain bike!

husky vs ktm? tough choice, is the husky a thumper or 2smoke?

Think about this, have you read any negative posts from KTM RFS owners? I only saw one post from jeb who smoked his cam bearings.

Good luck, and check out the Places to Ride forum for a very good local group. We rode in Moorestown a few weeks ago.

RAS

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
Testify Brother, I lost my way and now am back on the road of the righteous, my check shall go to the holy orange temple in Austria!

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
actually rick I do have a Cannondale F3000SL that I get my aerobic training on, it is a great bike. I was a little miffed that the MXC or EXC did not get the suspension upgrades that the SX got this year....that is really what got me looking at non rice burning alternatives.....

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Go with the proven woods winner,.............KTM.
Parts and availability are better than the other two.
You might even consider a Yamaha WR 426 or the new Honda.
Remember if we really get into a war the only parts you might be able to get are Japanese? LOL! Cannondale hasn't finished a race yet.

OZ_dirtrider

Jul 2, 2001
I'm a bias Husky rider but....

Husky have as much quality parts on them than the KTM. Hey, they won the WC this year.

Looking at the Aussie versions of the KTM, seems to be a lot for sale but KTM's ARE a good bike but needs to be maintained. I'd start looking from 2000 onwards as the earlier models had fork seal problems and some had crankshaft bearing high wear.

E-button on the new husky will make starting a hell of a lot easier than the kick only.

Bergs are a bloody fast bike but higher maintenance then other euro bikes. Seem to be susecptible to gearbox damage if not properly maintained (correct oil used)

WR426/CRF450 - Japanese reliability and cheaper on parts and in the course of time, aftermarket parts will exceed the euro versions. CRF450 suggested to be the easiest bike (4st) to kick start-but that's from a write up.

I own a TE400 and will upgrade to the TE450 but only after l put her thru her paces. Before l bought the TE400, l test rode the (outta the box) KTM400EXC, TE570, KTM520EXC, WR426 and l was quicker and more comfortable on the TE400 then the rest of the bikes.

Granted that these were friends bikes and l had the opportunity to sample them in the bush, l'd just suggest ride them and make an opinion on how the bike handles for you regardless of price and whatever you have heard (so hypocritical).

J

01 TE400
00 WR360
92 KDX250

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by JMD
... My spooge runneth over, and I shall dwell in the house of the Pumkin forever. [/B]

Oh Great Orange One,

Forgive my blasphemous toungue. I heed the warning from the house of Pumkin and shall serve my atonement at thy sign-in table. May thy husky brother of Blue & Yellow one day show me the strength to defeat such a worthy adversary.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Rise, my son; thy sins are forgiven thee. Go and sin no more. (By the way, I may the only one, but I like the looks of the new Huskies.)

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Ride one.......at these prices....RIDE ONE

HAve to ride one.........we all have opinions just like #%$holes.....each and everyone of us.......
COmparing a 99 this against any 02 that.........apples and oranges, and wont give you the true test.....
Me........I did ride everyone......
all awesome bikes.......
Rode the 470 'Berg last.........
and these bikes are in a class of thier own.........
would have never known it from this forum, or talking to a WR rider or .......hell I am protective about my decision to fork out $6000 too......
that aside.......
Ride them........new model year ones and talk to the owners....
It will be apparent to you then Grasshopper....

HR
:cool:

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

Congrats on the new ride!
SUPER SUPER SUPER!!!!!!

Go ride the new honda, Yamahas, Kawas and know that of all those you got the one!~!!!!!....when you get off your friends bike you can smile the big smile............;)

Just dont ride a 'Berg.
:p

HR
:cool:

Top Bottom