XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
Hey guys, I finally sold my car and have got some money for a dirt bike. I've been leaning toward a two stroke 125 because they are the right size and they are cheap when bought used. I'd like to get a four stroke seeing as I've never ridden a two stroke before but I'll settle for what I can afford. I really can't find a 250 four stroke in my price range and don't want to wait months to find one.

So, which 125 two stroke would be best for me since I'm mainly a trail rider (probably 90% trail; 10% track.) Or would they be pretty much the same? Also, since I've never ridden a two stroke before, will a 125 be a handful on the trails? Should I wait for a cheap four stroke like the XR's to crop up?

I know that KDX's are trail specific two strokes but they are also pretty expensive even used. All I really can afford to get now is a motocross 2 stroke. Thanks in advance.

1) your physical size: I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Medium agressiveness
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? woods, trails, fields, and occasionally the track
4) Do you have any riding experience? I've been on four strokes, never on a two stroke before
5) Do you think you will race ? No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yeah I can do my own work
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I've been looking at two strokes for their price used.
8) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? Up to $1400
9) Your age? 16

HhawkK1292

Aug 24, 2006
KDX 200, you're in the same spot as me =). I'm getting a KDX as my first trail bike. I'm pretty sure alot of people are going to agree with me on this even though you want a 125.
good luck =)

You can probably get a 2000 or newer for $1400 :nod: :cool:

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
Yeah of all the bikes out there right now, I want a KDX200. They are lighter than an XR or TTR and they are cheaper than a WR or CRF-X.

The problem is, you can't seem to find them in good condition for any less than $1800. My budget is $1400 at the max seeing as I don't have a job at the moment.

I really want to get a bike soon so I can still ride some before school starts again and if I wait to get a KDX, that might be months.

So lets just say I were to get a 125, would I be able to enjoy myself on the trails? Or are the powerbands real peaky so that I'll be eating dirt when I get on the throttle?

Which 125 is tamest? Say, 1995-2000?

And if I put a heavy flywheel weight and a pipe on a 125 (seeing as I get it jetted correctly) would I be able to lug around better in lower rpms without fouling a plug? Or will these mods not make a difference with this aspect?

HhawkK1292

Aug 24, 2006
Another thing is, that people are going to say choose a color for the company you want.

YZ, CR, RM, and KX are all basically the same bike with very minor differences.

But my opinion is, if you want to have the bike for a few years. be patient and wait for the "ONE" if you know what I mean. Just keep on the lookout for the KDX. Craigslist, Cycletrader, or any other resources. I have been looking in my local craigslist, and I have found many KDX's that are 99's for around $1300. Just keep looking =)

As for the flywheel question, I don't have much info in that department, sorry :|

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Ok, a 125 can be a decient trail bike... Yeah i lacks in the low end, but it will make you a better rider.. And if you put a flywheel weight, new reeds and a new pipe you could get alot more low end power out of a 125 MX bike.. The flywheel weight will probebley be the best for more low end power...

And a 125 Mxer can be a handfull at first but you WILL get used to it..

The best bike you could find would be a KDX200/220.. But if you find a 125 you can make it more trail specific..

Jan 3, 2007
Moparman1539, a flywheel weight will not add anymore bottom end poer but will increase the whole engine rotating mass wich will improve slow speed stalling and smoothing out the power band.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
2 strokes for life said:
Moparman1539, a flywheel weight will not add anymore bottom end poer but will increase the whole engine rotating mass wich will improve slow speed stalling and smoothing out the power band.

I know what it does.. but it mimics the actions of adding more bottom end.. Less stalling.. Smoothes out the powerban..

so yeah.. IT HELPS

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
XMotoX said:
I know that KDX's are trail specific two strokes but they are also pretty expensive even used. All I really can afford to get now is a motocross 2 stroke.
I sold my '96 KDX200 last year for $1400. It had FMF Rev pipe, ISDE silencer, skidplate, new piston/rings, new chain/sprocket, Devol radiator braces, new tires, new Acerbis headlight, etc. Ready to go. I also sold my '01 KX125 at the same time for $1400, too. Pro Circuit pipe/silencer, V-Force reeds, new chain/sprocket, new top end, radiator braces, etc. As you can see, there was no price difference in the two bikes and even though the KDX was 5 years older, it was functionally the same as a newer one.

For trails, the KDX was The Bike over that KX, no question. The KX had zero low-end (my '05 has decent bottom, but still nowhere near the KDX), finicky jetting, rough suspension, small gas tank, etc. The KDX was forgiving on jetting, plush suspension, large tank, etc.

I think if you find a cheap 125, it's also going to need some work. I just bought my '05 for $2000 and the first thing I did, before I even rode it, was tear down the top end and put $100 worth of parts in it and clean everything up. Unless the previous owner shows me a shop manual with hours written it that match the hour meter on the bike (like I did with my '01), I'm going to be real cautious about a used 125 (and let's not even get into used F's.... :nod: ) Plus, I changed the piston/rings on the KDX every 2 years. On the KX, I changed 'em twice a year. That adds up.

So, keep your eyes open.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
A KDX200 or 220 would be a great first bike. A 125 motocrosser would be terrible. I absolutely despise 125s for woods riding. No bottom end sucks.

You might also want to look for the following bikes, though it would be rare to find one in your price range:
KTM125EXC
KTM200EXC or MXC
GasGas EC125
GasGas EC200
Husqvarna WR125

Or if you can find a 125 done up for woods riding, go for it. At the minimum a 125 needs a pipe for low end, gearing change and armour for woods riding. Flywheel weight and more engine mods (reeds, porting, etc) would also be a good idea, along with a Hinson clutch to handle the abuse it's going to take. This is my opinion only.

tjmotocross

Feb 15, 2008
I got a 2001 CR125 a couple of weeks ago and have already rode alot. I love it, I think a 2-stroke 125 is one of the funnest bikes out there to play on, they handle great and are light. Most all I do is ride trails and I haven't had any trouble with my CR. Also I think if your looking for a for bottom end go with a CR they have great bottom ends the top end isn't all that awesome but for trails it does't matter. Just my 2 cents. I forgot to mention that they are much easier and cheaper to work on then 4-strokes.

TJ

Top Bottom