ncorrieri

Jun 17, 2006
Hey all, since everyones a little different, i didnt bother matching what worked for the 5'11 130 lb guy, or the 5'4 250lb guy, etc.

Im 5'11 - 240ish lbs
Semi agressive, but a working man (no broken bones)
Not a first time rider, but been out of the sport for 10 yrs
Mostly state owned trail riding (little to no tracks), woods, dirt roads, etc
Will not be racing
Prefer the low end torque of 4strokes (especially when riding in the woods etc)

Honestly, ive been out of it so much that the bike everyone tells me to get is intimidating (CRF 450 or the equivalent)

The big question i have is can i get away with picking up a 230? Few reasons i ask, theyre smaller, and i think that would help me if im following an atv and i have to pick through trails, etc.

Some concerns are will the engines be enough to pull my fatass? and can any 225-230s suspensions handle my weight for semi aggressive trail riding?

Honestly, i know i should be "a man" and just get at least a 250 or 450, but i like the cheap factor of the "girl" bikes too (theyre dumping new 2006 ttrs for like 2.6).

I will need to eventually buy a Utility atv, im trying to spend under 3k though, and would rather buy the bike first. im willing to go with a smaller bike now, then dump it and get a new MX style bike if i decide to try the MX stuff again.

----im sure this is a ton more info than what you need, but its 330 and im rambling :)

appreciate your advice

DirtDawger

Jun 24, 2000
Where to begin. The 230 is a very bad idea for some one in your size and weight class (like I am). The suspension was never intended for men of our girth. If budget is a big factor and you want somthing pretty tame look at some used options. KTM 250 RFS w/electric strart would be my first choice(very tame). CRF250X w/electric start, Plenty of fun power but still easy to ride.

If you are really on a budget look at the Honda XR400 or XR 250 (No electric Start). The 400 better suites your size but the 250 will work in a pinch.

The other poster mentioned a TTR-250 which I would put in the same catagory as the XR 250 but it does have electric start.

Another wild card option would be a KDX 200 or 220. It is a two stroke but has great low end power with a low weight compared to the 4 strokes and will give you some skills growing room. I don't know what part of the country you are in but here in the east they can be had used for insanly cheap prices and they are very reliable. I will go so far as to say they are the honda XRs of two strokes. Just go with a 96 or newer as they have not changed. Go to Canadian Daves thread in this forum to learn more.

Just my opinion and you know what they say about those.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If you are intimidated by the big 450, look toward a the WR250F of CRF250X, they are 250 thumpers set up more for trail riding. There are also 450 versions of both. You could probably get away with riding a TTR230, but you mentioned torque, the 230 would most likely get outshind by an 85 (no real power). Also, if you were to work that suspension hard at your size, you would kill it. A last thing to think about, at your height, you would feel like a Shriner (Shriners, don't take offense, we have all seen the parades) riding that tiny bike.

anthonysimo

Nov 18, 2005
ncorrieri, I have similar weight and height and you will kill most bikes under a 250 other than purpose built enduro weapons ( KTM 2 strokes, KDX, and similar). Above suggestions by DirtDawger are perfect. KDX lighter easier to fix more serious woods units, XR better on longer roads hauls run forever if you change the black stuff (oil) often. The 400 would be my choice as its very mild mannered, KDX if you want a serious woods bike to grow into.

DirtDawger

Jun 24, 2000
ziptiedEXC said:
The KDX has a great motor, but I think the suspension would to soft for you. I think the XR 400 would be a good bike for you.

This is a good point. ncorrieri and I are of similar builds. I rode the KDX for several years. It was a great bike, Very reliable with the ability to mod it into a much faster bike. Having said that the reason I got rid of my KDX is because my skills eventaully out grew the suspension. On the other hand how many ISDE gold medals does Jeff Fredette have on this bike?

Top Bottom