vip

Feb 19, 2013
ok so Ive been a 2 stoke guy forever. my kid grew up on 2 stokes. now im thinking im older and need nice power, and my kids friends are all on 4 strokes(Hondas) all of them have blown up.(vavles) years 05-08 250s. im a Honda guy but as time goes on. so as the title reads whats the best 4 stroke out there. ie power vs suspension,reliability? and lets say whats wrong with the losers. 250s and 450s

from what I seen Hondas 250 are bad stoke vavles and 450s can eat trannys.

what should I look at buying, and its not going to be new..03-11 maybe

please no bashing just pros and cons

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
What do you plan to use it for? Racing? Trail riding????

vip

Feb 19, 2013
mostly trails, but im looking at one for myself and one for my son that would do a little racing/jumping,,ect myself im getting a little to old to be riding powerband bye the seat of my pants, now my son on the other hand.is more the pin it to win it kind.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
There is nothing wrong with the CRF450R's or CRF450X for trail. The reason your kids friends are blowing up their four strokes is because they don't take the time to adjust their valves and do the proper maintainence. With proper maintainence they last a long time. I have CRF 450 and it is the best all around bike I have ever owned. The 250 are a little harder to maintain because they are pinned most of the time where the 450 works better at a lower RPM. Lots of torque. KTM has a great line too. Great trail bikes and they work pretty good on a track too. Four stroke power is great for us older fellas.

vip

Feb 19, 2013
so how much maintenance does it take? I here change the oil every other ride? valves? about every year? I know it depends on how much we ride. but im talking the weekend warrior.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Definitely going to be checking/adjusting valves more frequently based on time AND how the bike starts. This may sound intimidating but it is really just time. The first time or two will take more time just becuase of the learning curve after that you should get good enough to not seem as time consuming. Failure to do this regularly will be costly. Doing a complete top-end will depend on what you see which means you have to LOOK by disassembly, again, time more than anything.
There are lots of disasster posts but most people do the maintenance and enjoy the 250F and 450F. If you plan to do woods/trail riding I recommend a Rekluse auto clutch on a 450F, the 250F while okay in the woods it is definitely more suited to the track. The old saying of "pay me now or pay me later" is part of the four stroke adventure. The maintenance is not bad it is just more involved than on a two stroke. Just be careful not to inherit someone elses nightmare.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Swifty is correct about the 450R on trail. The 450R has a very high low gear and for tight trail systems the Rekluse clutch is an advantage. The 450X is a better choice for tight trail riding and still works pertty good on mx tracks. If you use synthetic oil you can go much longer on oil changes and if you replace the titanium valves with Kibblewhite stainless valves, the valve problem is almost eliminated. You will still have to check and adjust the valves but not near as often and the stainless valves don't come apart like the ti valves. There are a lot of good used 450's for sale but like Brian said, make sure you are not buying someones junk. Do your homework and check out the background on the bike before buying it.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Dont forget, the 450x is somewhat heavier than the R model. While you may not notice this play riding on an easy trail, I guarantee its a factor when the going gets tough and you end up picking up your bike a few times in a row.

vip

Feb 19, 2013
I like the x myself for the light and elct start. like I said im a bit older now. plus I would look at a track kit for a 450 and just to think of trying to kid it in 2 feet of snow, with a boot full of snow.

Top Bottom