Best Aftermarket seat for EXC 250

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
I just bought an 01 EXC 250....after months of sitting on, playing with, and wishing my son's LC 50 was big enough for me to ride!!! I love the bike except the loading ramp hard seat. I came off a YZ 250 with the stock seat which feels like a sponge compared to the KTM. I've looked at SDG, Moose, and the high seat stock replacement from KTMparts.com. Has anyone out there replaced their seat? Am I just whining about being "butt sore" after a 50 mile ride? Let me know.

Thanks,

Dennis

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Crusty1,
I had the same complaint for about the first four to five long rides, but your butt will adjust, mine did. No longer bothers me at all. The good news, in my opinion, is that the seat affords good manuverability in terms of shifting your body weight easily. Anyway, give it some time. :cool:

ktm520

Dec 23, 2001
I had the same issue...tried to live with it and could take no more (or I should say my butt couldn't take anymore). I put on the Enduro Engineering soft foam and seat cover and it's a major improvement. The "soft" foam is not so soft that you fall in. It's just the right amount of firmness without the pain. I liked the feel of the stock foam/seat in terms of riding, but it was too uncomfortable after riding 3 hours or more. I think the seams in the stock seat cover are the real culprit. I recommend the soft foam/seat cover from E.E.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I may be the minority here, but I love the stock foam, after I bought my bike I rode a KDX 200 and XR 400 back to back and both seats were sickeningly soft, I couldnt move around nearly as well as on my KTM, and couldnt wait to get back to my firm seat. but the ergonomics are so much more improved over my last ride I can stand comfortably all day if I have to.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
SDG make the seats for moose so they are the same, i have the tall moose on my YZ, but i try to stand as often a possible anyway!:)

i was disappointed at first since the seat was only 1/2 inch higher but after riding it really does help and didnt need to be any higher

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
Thanks for the responses. I'll try riding it some more and see if I can't develop a good set of glut-a-mass calluses!! If not, I'll pull out the ol' Spenco gel shorts!!

Thanks,

Dennis

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Dennis,

My KTM dealer pulled the seat cover off and then drilled/cored 15 3/4" holes into the meat of the foam, leaving 1" of top foam uncored and couldn't believe the difference it made. He went 3 holes across and 5 holes down for a total of 15 holes. He just used a 3/4" holesaw.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Dennis,
KTM makes a no seam black cover, that improves the feel of the seat. It is no softer, but doesn't chafe like the stock unit. I have gotten use to it, the manueverability is awesome. I am thinking about going to a tall/firmer with my next seat. I think it is one of the things that has helped me pick up speed. By the way a short day for us is 4-5 hours on the bike.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I just got mine last Friday. Before mounting it, I sat on the stocker with the bike on a stand (to eliminate any suspension play that might affect the comparison) to get a feel for it's firmness. Then I mounted the SDG seat & gave it a few minutes of saddle time. I couldn't tell any difference. In fact, if I had to guess, I'd say the SDG was a smidge firmer, as my '98 has probably been softened up a tad over time. Maybe the SDG will too? However by the time it does, my butt will have adjusted & it would probably be such a gradual softening that I'll never really notice it.

I just got a rip in my stock cover, so I'll probably keep the SDG on the shelf for later. Seeing how cost effective it is, I can't say I'm all that motivated to ship it back (ordered it from MXSouth). And the quality does seem to be pretty darn good. One thing I noticed (though it doesn't effect the quality of the seat in any way) is that the staples underneath are black to match the base & cover. That's a small detail that tells me the folks who make 'em take pride in their product.

motomickey

May 9, 2002
I have a 2002 250 sx and replaced the stock board with the SDG. Doesn't feel all that much different to the bare hand or installed, but when you're riding it there is a world of difference. Firm, but compliant. Excellent purchase.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i like the end. eng. tall super hard; it is, as they say, tall & super hard. it's maybe a little harder than stock & a good bit taller. i don't like a saddle that you sink down into.

hey darin, enjoyed hanging out with you & yours for the enduro sunday. see ya'll at laurel!

Top Bottom