best"bang for the buck" bike mods

wizard69

May 3, 2001
I have a 2002 kx250 that I have stripped apart(getting frame powdercoated.anyways i want to make this bike a bit better for next year.I have about $1600 to spend now and will save a bit more before spring.what would be the best mods for power/handling that i could buy with this budget?.I want a bit more power and a bit stiffer suspention for big jumps(I am 200lbs).any ways the bike is a 2002 kx250 with a pc platinum pipe, pc silencer,boysen reeds,aero tapper bars,renthal grips,twin air filter.I also have all the after market plastics/grafics so i don't want to spend any more on those.the bike has low hours but I think i should get a top end rebuild soon.I might switch the reeds with a rad valve would this be a good move?thanx for any help

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
i hads my forks and shock sent to pro circuit for revalving and stiffer springs both sides, they were wmazing, i dont think i've bottomed them once in a year and i still never feel any of the braking or acceleration bumbs that everyone complains about at the roughest track on our circuit.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i friend of mine races Int. and had a 01kx250- i remember the FMF SST pipe/shorty combo and the V-force worked really well.

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Have your tried changing your gearing ratios yet? Something like adding one tooth (+1) to the rear sprocket always helps improve acceleration. Cheap and effective.

wizard69

May 3, 2001
I was thinking about sending my suspention to procircuit but the shipping costs would be pretty high I think since i live in canada.were do you send them to?I don't want to buy a new pipe so i am not going to go with the fmf combo.I think I want to drop a tooth in the back since alot of what i do is wfo and I don't hardly use 1st ever even in the tightest stuff I do(not very technical)I don't mean to say your ideas were bad because they were good ideas on what I gave you guys to work with but any other sugestions?are pc heads/cylinders any good?are they new or do you send in your old one to get the work done?

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
i actually had a pro circuit pipe on my bike('01yz125) with the 304 silencer, when some kid dented my PC pipe i put the stocker back on and was amazed, the PC had a touch more top-end than the stocker but the bottom and mid on the stocker was a lot better trade-off than the touch more top from the PC and lack of low and mid. the best mod i did was had my cylinder ported for mid, that did more for my bike than a pipe, silencer, and vforce did combined.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
The best bang for the buck is to learn how to jet. All the hop up parts in the world mean nothing if you don't know how. Next would be a big bore kit from Eric!

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
First off, have Eric Gorr do the top-end porting for you. He is probably the cheapest in the business, and does a top-notch job. Better than any bolt-on goodie on the market...

As far as the suspension goes, if you want to save money, get the Race Tech gold valve kits and do it yourself. You will learn a whole lot in the process, and be able to always set the suspension the way YOU want it all by yourself. Expecting someone else to set it up the way you want it to feel is a shot in the dark. The only thing better would be to find a local suspension guru who is willing to go to the track with you and set your suspension up by watching how you ride and how the bike reacts.

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Want more power ? Sell all those little bolt on goodies you have and send your cylinder to Eric Gorr.

That is the most cost effective mod to do for improved power and a better powerband. Don't forget to jet it correctly

wizard69

May 3, 2001
why sell my bolt ons?the depretiation on them is so high that i would be better off to give them to a friend.is erics work more than $1600?

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
I have a '02 kx 250, I am near 200 # geared up: RG3 Triple clamp with Azonic bars ( Larocca bend), .45KG race tech springs up front ( kinda stiff but planning on some rework, stock .43's was runnin two clicks off the bottom) 5.4KG spring in the back. PC pipe and silencer (looking at the FMF Q series to replace), Boyesen Rad valve, Krause sprockets and chain 14/50 gearing. Jetting = 160 main 52 slow, everything else stock. Planning on sending my cylinder in to Mr. Gorr this winter for the 2mm overbore - then I'll have to kinda start over again.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Steering bearings, Wheel bearings , Swingarm bearings and linkage bearings would be my no1choice budget $250. New tires $140. Service forks and new springs $400 or so. Eric Gorr big bore around $450 $1190 total and say 100 on shipping. Make sure your bike is 100% befor wasting$ on mods, Then do bottem end of engine say$180 for bearings , seals and hotrod.

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by wizard69
why sell my bolt ons?the depretiation on them is so high that i would be better off to give them to a friend.is erics work more than $1600?

Yeah..The depreciation on those parts is substantial....I was just suggesting a way to get an effective improvement without having to dig up more money for the mod...So, if you don't want to sell them it isn't neccessary...Although you could sell just enough aftermarket bolt ons to give you enough money to get the porting done...Believe me, you won't miss an aftermarket exhaust or rad valve if you sold it to get porting done.

The porting alone will give you a powerband that is far superior than all of the bolt on performance mods combined.

Your KX250 will be an absolute beast with a good port job....I've ridden a few Eric Gorr ported motors and they are strong.

wizard69

May 3, 2001
to get my motor ported do I just send in the head or do I send the head and cylinder?any idea on the weight of these?were is erics shop?

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by wizard69
to get my motor ported do I just send in the head or do I send the head and cylinder?any idea on the weight of these?were is erics shop?

You will most likely need to send both the cylinder head and cylinder to eric Gorr...Here's a link so you can call Eric and find all the info you need.

Top Bottom