yamalast

Jan 25, 2001
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 185 in skivvies, 5'9"
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Moderate mostly, sometimes I wail.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Croom-like conditions - see below
4) Do you have any riding experience? 10 years
5) Do you think you will race ? Some Enduros & HS
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes, very.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 2 Stroke! :cool:
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? All of the big 5
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? New purchase, to maybe 2 years old
10) Do you live in California? No, Florida!
11) Your age? 45
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion See below

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting back into riding after a 6 year layoff. I ride in central Florida, in conditions much like (and including! :cool: ) Croom in Brooksville; deep, soft sand, endless whoops, some humongous, some "open" sections, and also some tight trails. I also have some areas with lots of tree roots and manzanitas roots. In many spots newbs have spun their tires so the roots are not only exposed but are completely exposed, having had a hole dug out in front of them. :yell:

I weigh 185, have been riding 2 stroke motocross bikes mostly (last was a 2000 YZ250) and ride aggressively at times. However, I don't want the strong hit of a YZ in the tight woods where it gets you into trouble. I also want a stable bike that's not prone to headshake.

In order of preference, I need great suspension, smooth, strong power, and stability.

Yes, I will probably fit a steering damper, but not at first.

I'm looking at maybe a KTM 250XC?

Thanks!

May 10, 2007
if you dont want the hard hit then you want a 4 stroke.

they all have mellow power bands.

that or just get a heavier flywheel. they really do help.

i might try a 200 exc if i were you from what i have heard they are great trail bikes.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I think you are on the right track with the KTM.
You can also find CR's or YZ's set up for the woods, but the KTM's (non SX) are just all ready set up for it.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
I would say a KTM 300xc-w. They are great for the wide open spaces and tight woods. Many people describe the bike as a 3-stroke.
Good Luck.

MeanorMX

May 30, 2007
A WR250F won't have enough power for you. I believe it's a four stroke? And if so, a YZ250 would blow it out of the dust, nearly twice as fast.

I'd probably go with a KTM 300xc. Just like matt said they are great for all around riding and will provide enough power for you.

Top Bottom