sworrjr

Aug 13, 2007
) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 6'2 210lbs.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? 6/10
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Mostly trails, woods, would like to try a enduro or hs race. Maybe.
4) Do you have any riding experience? I am 39 and have been riding since age 6, but have not been on a dirt bike in 20yrs.
5) Do you think you will race ? Would like to try an enduro or hs, looks like fun.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Only routine maintenance, oil change, etc.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Not sure what I need. When I used to ride as a kid I rode two stroke mx bikes.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? All brands available.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? 5k max.
10) Do you live in California? no, NW Florida.
11) Your age? 39
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion?

New member here, just remembering how much fun I used to have riding and want to get back into it. I would like to try an enduro or hs race after some practice if I am able. That looks like a lot of fun. Would a four stroke or two stroke be better for that? In my younger days I rode several differnt bikes, but they were all two stroke mx bikes. The four strokes that I remember from back then like the Honda xr's were slow and hard to start when hot, but they ran forever with little work. Are the new 4 strokes different? What would be best for me?

Thanks,

Steven

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
The new 4 strokes are different. They're basically based on the crotch rocket motors, so are darned near Formula 1 technology (4 and 5 valve heads, 13,000+ RPM, etc). This makes them a lot faster and lighter than the old XR type bikes, in more need of careful maintenance, and also much more expensive if something goes wrong. Without e-start they can be hard to start, especially when hot, but e-start is really becoming standard.

When I got back into the sport I started back on a 4 stroke based on the hype and went back to a 2 stroke. I just don't think you can beat the fun/$$, and many more are coming to the same conclusion all the time.

Lots of guys like you (and me) really like the KTM 300. Many call it the 3 stroke since it has the 2 strong zing but also good torque and flywheel mass to help it chug. Older ones were E/XC and M/XC (wide ratio and single ratio trannies respectively) while the newer ones are the XC-W and XC (same deal, though the XCs are also stiffer sprung, among other things).

sworrjr

Aug 13, 2007
I have heard a lot of good things about the KTM, but they seem a little more expensive than the Japanese bikes. Is the maintenance cost on the KTM also higher?

Also the local dealer has a 2004 KDX 220 that is new. Not sure how they still have a 04, but they do. Would that be a good bike for hare scrambles? I used to have a kx 125 and kx 250, would the kdx 220 be similar in power to either of those bikes?

Thanks,

Steve

Jan 3, 2007
sworrjr, a KDX is a great bike and easy to work on. But in comparison to a KX125 or 250 it has no top end power. It dose have a XR like feel in the power and not as much hit in the power band. The nice thing about a KDX is the amout of aftermarket for it. Such as, flywheel weight, pipes, 240 big bore kit, pipe spacers, reeds, and so on. In comparsion to a KTM 200XC it is a dog. The KTM has better suspension and alot lighter frame to give it a more nible feel. It also produce more top end power and about the same bottom end. Eaither way you go both are great bikes.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Sworrjr, you sound a lot like me and MANY other people on this site. I rode dirtbikes as a kid, got away from it for college and early married years, and finally got back into it in my late 30s.

I have had a KDX200 for four years and I love it. It is a two stroke so the maintenance is VERY simple (and cheap), parts are available everywhere if you need them, and it is capable enough to do 90% of what you will want to do. I am almost exactly your size, and the KDX200 does fine for me powerwise.

I suggest you get that KDX220, or maybe look for a used one, and ride it for a year to see if you like dirtbiking. If you do like dirtbiking and you start thinking about upgrading your bike, go ahead and sell the KDX and get something else before you spend too much to upgrade that bike.

I think you will be really happy with that choice!!

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Good advice on the KDX, it's a great bike and the comparison 2strokeforlife gave is accurate. As for expense on KTMs, parts are about the same as any other (many years ago that wasn't true but it is now). I've also found that my KTM rarely needs parts since everything is so high quality compared to Japanese bikes I've owned. Both can be raced in a harescramble, though the KTM is the more serious piece and wouldn't need anything other than handguards and a skid plate to race.

If you'd mentioned a desire to dual sport (offroad and street) I'd have pointed you to a durable 4 stroke with e-start like the DRZ400, but based on your stated purposes the KDX 220 or KTM 300 E/XC (or XC-W) would be your best choices.

sworrjr

Aug 13, 2007
I tried to buy the new 2004 kdx220 today. They are asking $3999.00 for the bike and will not come off any. I don't mind spending that, but I thought that was too much for the bike being that it is four years old now. I think I would feel better paying more for a newer bike. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Also a guy at another dealership was trying to talk me into a yz 250f, it was a new 2006 and said I could have it for $4400. I know that it is mainly a mx bike, but would it be ok for harescrambles, or would it not work well for that?

Thanks for all the help,

Steven

Jan 3, 2007
sworrjr, if you want an eays bike to work on and maintain stay away form the modern day MXers (450F, 250F). Your bet bet is a slightly used KTM 250, 300, 200 EXC, MXC, XC, or XC-W. The EXC and XC are tight ratio transsmissions, and the MXC and XC-W are wide rarion trannys. The KDX would be great also but that is a bit much for an 04.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
You should be able to buy a used but sweet KTM with all kinds of aftermarket goodies for $4k. Realistically, you will be in a better position with a used KTM than the new KDX. I suggest you start trolling KTMTalk dot com and look in their "What KTM should I buy" forum; lots of great KTM specific help there.

Used KDXs with lots of goodies and in good shape can be had for $2k and less. I'd look for one of those before I spent $4k on a bike with 10 year old technology.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a KTM. Too late for me, but not for you!

Race_Bennett

Jul 23, 2007
DougRoost said:
When I got back into the sport I started back on a 4 stroke based on the hype and went back to a 2 stroke. I just don't think you can beat the fun/$$, and many more are coming to the same conclusion all the time.
true dat
i would suggest a 2 stroke 250 as i am pratically the same hieght and weight. I ride a honda cr 250. plenty of power in mid-high decent in low end but i ride trails also.

Top Bottom