KDXTim

Sep 29, 2000
I'm looking at getting my wife a dirt bike to learn how to ride on. However, it needs to be a bike she will not quickly outgrow (i.e. xr 100, etc..). It needs to have a fairly short seat height as she is only 5ft. 5 in. tall. It also needs to make decent power in stock form, as we live at 6000 ft and often ride at 9000ft. Any suggestions?

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I'd say XR 200, its about the only choice there really is. In the last couple years the aftermarket has began producing more stuff for this bike so more power can be found if it's needed.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Why not get her a bike she'll quickly outgrow? The XR100 may be the best bet for a real beginner. She'll be close to the ground, she can pick it up when it falls over, and it'll be easier to learn on.

Once she gets the basics down, she'll want something better, then she can step up to an XR200, or a KDX200.

Buy a used XR100 and let her have at it for a few months. When she's done with it you can sell it for the same price you bought it for!

Speaking from experience, a small, lightweight trainer bike is much more confidence inspiring than something you have to ask your parter to help you with after a crash.

BTW, when she's ready for the XR200, you might want to look for the 86 - 93 models. In 1994 they went to a shorter (slightly lower and more compact) chassis and cheaper suspension components. The earlier model is more fun to ride at her height. The new model feels cramped on long trailrides for a 5'5" person.

KDXTim

Sep 29, 2000
Thanks for the replies. After some minor research, I think I am leaning towards getting her a TTR125L.

Kalitude, the link you had for ttr125l.com was a useful resource. I agree that the light weight of the bike will help to inspire confidence. From the little research I've done, the TTR125L seems to be a better bike (front disk, better suspension, more power, yet still light weight and a low seat height) than the xr100. I am leaning away from the xr200, just on weight alone.

Again, thanks for the advice and replies.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Word is Yamaha is working on a 4 stroke YZ125F to compete in the 80cc class, which some people think will be the perfect "wife bike." Then again, the TTR125 is a good choice and is available now vs. maybe available later. If it happens that could also be her upgrade bike.

I've got a buddy with a KTM 250 who has a TTR125 as a play bike. This seemed really wierd to me at first, since he's probably 5'9 and weighs about 160, and the first time we rode together he was hauling on the KTM 2 smoke. Yet he put a few aftermarket goodies on his TTR125 and enjoys toying with it (can wheelie it at will and just toss it around). I have to say it makes a great trail weapon on tight trails with lots of overhanging tree branches, which I was constantly ducking and he rode right under! The only downside he tells me is the suspension, but he's taller and heavier, plus that's why he's got the KTM!

Top Bottom