Best De-carbonising method

Homer88

Jun 8, 2001
Anyone knows what is the best method for thorough removing of carbon from a 2 stroke bike's exhaust?

I could see from my PC pipe at the muffler end a carbon buildup of at least 2-3mm.

I soaked the pipe with Turpentine overnight and used a dremel tool with a frayed cable to scrap the carbon off the walls.
However, I can't tell whether the internals are as clean as far as my eye can peek down the small hole.....

I do read that NaOH is the best "solvent" but does the carbon really just comes off by itself after using it? Even with my dremel tool, the carbon is pretty hard...

I've heard that burning the pipe and making it glowing red will heat up and dry off the carbon and when hot enough, it will crack off the wall. Any true???

Help for my suffocated bike please....:ugg:

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
Bring it to your local radiator shop. They'll get it as good as new.;)

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
you can burn the carbon off the inside of the pipe, just get a small flame going with an acetylene torch and then feed oxygen through the pipe to keep it going. Works with varying results. I've heard of people taking pipes to radiator shops and having them boiled out. If you use the flame method then remember that gas vapors in an enclosed space can be explosive, be sure to use caution when burning out the pipe. Good luck.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
This is the easier less messy method, works for me!!

If you are having problems with lots of spooge, then find a decent long hill climb, and really clean out your motor and exhaust. There is a Tech Tip from a trials site, which helps to explain how to get rid of any excess oil in your exhaust system. http://www.trials.com.au/techtips/plugs6.html

Remember this is for a trials bike, so forget about the 100:1 part!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…