Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hey, we are about to get some dirt poured around our property so that we'll have a few small jumps,,

What is the best type of dirt to buy? sand? red clay?

thanks...

If it matters, we get about 55 inches of rain a year,,,

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Sandless in San Fran.

do not buy sand!!! For one thing it doesn't compact when you are trying to form it, and when the rain comes it will all spread out, clay is a little better, but if you can just get a few large trucks full of regular old brown top soil dirt, that would be great, the less rocks the better. it all depends on where you live, but you can usually get it almost anywhere,
Jeff

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
what I did to make my jumps worked good for me. I made a pile of rocks about half the size of the jump. then I used a mix of hard pack dirt and clay with a loos dit top. worked quit good. hasent crumbled aparet yet! But mix dirt and clay with in the rocks so they stick together a bit. If you cant get a bunch of good sized rocks for the base. I suggest usein a clay base.:confused:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Use asphalt, then your track would be about as hard as the black dirt at our local track :uh:

Sandy loam.

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
i hate red clay!! it packs soo hard that it feels like concrete and becomes so slick. when it gets wet, it gets that top film of loose dirt that will throw your tires everywhere. use that topsoil stuff that everyone else is talking about if possible.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Heck, any dirt you can get! You don't get to pick what kind of dirt you race on, so I figure if you can get a mix (rocks and all), you'll be better for it.

You might try calling around to local road depts and construction outfits and see if they will give it away. Usually they have to pay to haul it somewhere, so they may be happy to hook you up.

Also, get more than you think you'll need. It doesn't go as far as it looks.

Top Bottom