Best DOT Tire for Dual Sport 520 EXC

Jan 18, 2001
I have an 02 520 EXC that I recently dual sported. I will need to buy DOT Tires to get thru the Texas Inspection process. I am looking for the best choice. I will still ride primarily dirt, mainly soft to intermediate in the Sam Houston National Forest (piney woods and sand) and some clay.

Any recommendations based on your experiences? Thanks.

new kidd

Dec 3, 2001
I'm using Kenda K760 Trak Master II on a 325 lb. suzuki DR650. I ride the pine barrens in new jersey. It is almost all that white sugar sand. And I love these tires. They are alot cheaper than other brands and hook up great off-road. On the road is another story. they last quite a while but the bike starts to shake at 70MPH and over on tar. And breaking on the road sucks. Later Mike

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
I have heard good things about the 606s and the trackmasters. I have Pirrelli MT21s on now. I like the rear but the front washes out easily. If you ride mostly off-road I would consider a dirt front (most are DOT approved) for added grip in corners.

bighaus

Apr 8, 2002
i was told that the rfs cant handle extended peroids of time on the pavement. apparently its to hard on the tranny. i guess thats what the lc 4 is designed for. just a thought.

Jan 18, 2001
Thank you all for your input (in this and other forums). After much research across all of these forums, and your inputs here I have decided to get the Dunlop D606 for the rear and the Pirelli MT44 for the front.

Major decision factors:
Rear: Almost all positive feedback on Dunlop D606 across the forums, including the Baja wins. It was a decision here between the Dunlop and the Kenda. Very good feedback on the Kenda as well.
Front: Almost unanimous poor feedback on the Dunlop and Kenda for the front. Very strong feedback on the Pirelli MT44 on the front for my dirt environments.

I'll be sure and give a ride report after installation and testing.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom