Best Fitness & Strength Training for Riding??

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
I think this is an area we all neglect, I know I do. I only get to ride my bike every second week as I have other responsibilities, demanded by my wife, 1 year old daughter and work commitments.

What I need is some kind of training schedule to keep me fit and strong for the tequnical riding I do when I can't get to ride.

Please any advice would be great.

Thanks

Paul

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Here's what I do...

I try to get out twice a week to ride, but was having the same problem keeping endurance up with just 5 or 6 rides a month. Here's what I do that seems to be working o.k.

Run 3-5 times a week for atleast 30 minutes each time.
2-3 times a week I lift weights but in a more aerobic fasion. I vary the order I do the exercises below, but I do them all one after another (no rest). One time through them all is what I call one set. Rest for about 90 seconds and then do them all through again. I'd like to get to 3 sets but so far I'm just doing 2. In all of them I do 15-20 reps (with this many reps and little rest, the amount of weight I can do is much lower. For instance I could bench around 185-200 for 3 sets of 8 in a normal routine. In this routine I do about 115. I'm 5'8" and weigh 160)

Bench Press
Military Press
Curls
Bent over lateral raises
Tricep extensions
Squats (holding dumbells, not with a bar on my back)
Upright rows
Dumbell rows
Crunches

Hope this helps!

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Sounds good HajiWasAPunk, thanks for your input.

I will admit I am from a weight lifting back round, 5'10" at 210lbs, currently can bench around 300lbs for 2-3rep and 260lbs for 10-12reps, I also Squat 370-400lbs for 4-6 reps and 300 for 12-15reps (I am a bit of a lard ass compared to my 185lbs, when I was in good shape and certainly not as strong 330lbs Bench and 440lbs Squat). Since getting married and starting a family, my strength and mainly my fitness has suffered, I have only been riding Quads and bikes for the last two years now. TRX400EX the first then I sold that and got the KDX200, I have had the KDX for a year now. The way you are super setting you weight training exercises is a good way of improving muscle endurance, keep it up.

I feel the big thing for me at this point is probably to get my cardio training up and get fit, strength has seldom ever been a problem. I see you do quite a bit of road work, I am sure that must help quite a bit and is something I should really try and get into. Do you do any cycling or just stick to the running? Is there any one out there that does cycling and how do you find it?

It is nice to hear what other people do, as I am sure we can all learn for each other.

Thanks, Paul

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
Paul, I have a similar backround..lots of weight training in the past. I'm 5/8"/200lbs. I've been doing some cycling and it seems to help. I've found that shorter rigorous 7-10miles is better than long distance. Make sure you throw in some hills to really get your heart rate up. Nothing can replace actual riding though. I have a buddy who is in worse cardio shape than me..he can't even run a mile but he is an expert mx rider and smokes me on the track. He can do 20 minute motos no problem. He just knows good body position on the bike and how to conserve energy.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
I don't cycle but I think anything that will get your heart rate up will help. The other thing that's different about what I'm doing now from "traditional" weight lifting is the higher reps and super setting of the exercises together (more like what a body builder would do before a contest). I've found that trying MX takes much more endurance strength than a single push or two. In fact, the better I get the less "muscling" around of the bike I do and it seems to be helping me ride longer.

Yeah, married with kids will cut into time for fitness in a hurry! :)

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
No ammount of training off the bike will make you faster on the bike. The more you learn to stop fighting the bike, and let it work for you, the less tired you will be while riding. Yea, lifting and cardio will make you stronger and give you more endurance, but next time you are at the track, look for one of those scrawny 14yo boys on a 125 thats kicking everyone's ass! Don't get me wrong, strength and endurance are important, but an hour of serious coached practice time on the bike is worth more than you can spend in the gym.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
I think you all have valid points. I do mainly technical trail riding rocks, hills, etc. So there are times when the muscle endurance is in-valuable, especially when there are time you are almost carrying your bike over the rocks on some sections. All the riding in the world won't solve every problem in those situations.

HajiWasAPunk, I agree with the super setting, it is something I used to do a lot when I first started riding my TRX400. My work outs were structured a little differently to yours, but a similar principle when it came to weights. I think I just need to find a training partner to help me get consistent.

njkx, I agree with you on the shorter more intense workout and getting you heart rate up.

And Masterphil, I probably could do with a lesson or two on how to ride, so that I am working with the bike a bit more. I am sick of 14 years old flying past me on the faster sections, ha ha, but it is all cool as long as we are all having fun, I will be honest I don't ride with many younger guys, but the guys I have ridden with have been really quick. I was unfortunate to start riding late in life, first time on a bike at the age of 26. A lot of my friends started riding when they were very young (6-7 years old) they are really good riders now with 20 years of riding behind them, but even they have to carry there bikes sometimes in the places we go.

Thank you for your input

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
lol, the only thing worse than one of those scrawny 14 year olds passing you is one of those fat 40 year olds (fat but know how to ride)! :)

I agree, the training helps but riding better (and more often) seems to help the most. I'm referring to how long you can ride at your best, not that this will make you faster (practice with someone who knows what they're doing has got to be the best way to improve how fast you can ride). My problem is that I can only ride at "my" best for a couple of laps but it's getting better.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Any excercise is better than nothing. I will say I hate you Paul, I weigh 226 right now and can only bench 200 one time. Oh well I have lost 25 pounds in the last 6 months and think if I can get back down to 200 I will at least look good again. I have a fairly regimented weight schedule but it is only 2 times a week, the other 3 days I do cardio but I am lucky enough to have aerobic classes, running/speed training, and spinning classes offered to me for free, so I like to mix it up and sometimes I run/bike/elliptical, whatever on those three days. I really like cross training because it keeps me interested in working out. I think it helps a little while riding but like you, I have a wife and little one and can only usually go once every other week if that, I notice that when I get out 5 or 6 times a month riding becomes a lot easier just by doing and relaxing. I say whatever you do do something, just don't stop working out, you'll see improvements.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Tyesa, well done on loosing the 25lbs, it isn't easy. I am trying to get motivated and dedicated enough to diet properly so I can loose about 20lbs. When I was younger with less responsibilities this was easy, but now every time I get started it seems to fall apart.

I will say this I have always known how to get strong, what exercises to combined for the best results. Fitness however and excess weight are the problems now and so that is what I need to focus my attention on, it looks like you seem to have those covered.

Thank you everyone for all you input

CAVSCOUT96

Dec 12, 2004
Masterphil said:
No ammount of training off the bike will make you faster on the bike. The more you learn to stop fighting the bike, and let it work for you, the less tired you will be while riding. Yea, lifting and cardio will make you stronger and give you more endurance, but next time you are at the track, look for one of those scrawny 14yo boys on a 125 thats kicking everyone's ass! Don't get me wrong, strength and endurance are important, but an hour of serious coached practice time on the bike is worth more than you can spend in the gym.

I guess all of the weight and cardio training that RC and the others do doesn't make a difference then?!!?!

C'Mon!!! Weight and cardio training WILL help you relax on the bike and you won't be as tired. Consequently you can ride more practice sessions then concentrating on you form and technique. Conditioning makes a huge difference especially the older you get.

my .02

BM

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
If you permit to say, you guys should try trial riding. Believe it or not, but a good trial rider will be good in every motorcycle sports. Anyway, I think that if you hop on a trial bike and get onto the rocks and tight turns, tricky spots, etc. it will make you a better mx rider. Trial practices your coordination and certainly improves your cardio. You will also improve on traction and balance. Trial is the ultimate motorcycle sport.

What do you guys think about that?

Dec 19, 2004
If you want to loose weight run drink water..bulk up keep arobix/ cardo crap to an abslute minimum. Take protiene gainer shakes 1ce in the morning and 1 after working out. As for the actual working out, do what ever you want, take it SLOW, 6 reps 3 sets.. you should bairly be able to get the last rep. Give the muscles 2 full days 48 hours to heal and do it over again, the protiene is there to help your muscles heal. The heros that work out every day doing the same thing every night are actualy slightly getting smaller or not gaining any thing because there not letting there muscles heal properly

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
24 said:
If you want to loose weight run drink water..bulk up keep arobix/ cardo crap to an abslute minimum. Take protiene gainer shakes 1ce in the morning and 1 after working out. As for the actual working out, do what ever you want, take it SLOW, 6 reps 3 sets.. you should bairly be able to get the last rep. Give the muscles 2 full days 48 hours to heal and do it over again, the protiene is there to help your muscles heal. The heros that work out every day doing the same thing every night are actualy slightly getting smaller or not gaining any thing because there not letting there muscles heal properly

I have to respectfully disagree with the workout routine you describe, if the goal is to be a better motocross rider. The routine you describe is what I've done most of my life (since about age 15) and it will make you stronger and bulkier. But for MX you need more endurance and stamina, sets of 15-25 reps are much more appropriate, imo.

Dec 19, 2004
You cant train for endurance... But yeah if you read the start of the second part to mine it specifically says "bulk up" at the start. Being strong is good foundation to build off of, you obviously would take er easy if you trained hard and started to look like a "strong man" you need to be flexible and tonned out.

AnTs

Uhhh...
Nov 5, 2005
when i ride. its for atleast 7 hours at a time 2 times.. sat and sunday... so thats 14 hours in 1 week and im so sore by the time its all over... I need to get in shape to

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Strength Size workout by Paul: How I squatted 440lbs and benched 330lbs at 5'10" and 185-190lbs (bodyfat % 8-10), this was back in the days when I was lean and mean, before I got married and before I had a family to worry about. The diet consisted of high protein, moderate carb intake, very low fat. When it comes to weights and Diet I know what I am talking about, Dirt bikes are a new thing. At the moment the biggest problem is time and fitness for riding, I don't have the time to train like I used to, I need to be fit. I am not worried about strength, that is something I always will be, whether I lift weights or not. I can skip gym for a year and come back and blow guys away bigger than me and who have been training consistantly and I have never taken a steroid in my life. Sorry for blowing my horn, but you know how it is sometime you just got to say it so people know where you can from. Thanks for the input, see the workout below:

Day 1 Bench Press 5sets, reps 20, 12, 6-8, 4-6, 2 (20 reps-220lbs, 2 reps - 330lbs)
Dumbbell Incline Press 3sets, reps 10, 8, 4-6 (last set done with 120lbs dumbbells)
Cable Flies 3sets, reps 20, 15, 12
Parallel Bar Dips 2sets, to failure (chin on chest, wide grip to focus on chest)
Day 2 Deadlifts 4-5sets, reps10-12, 6, 4, 2, 1
Chins 3-4 sets, to failure
45 Degree Cable Rows 3sets, reps15, 12, 8-10
Shoulder Press 4sets, reps15, 12, 10, 6-8 (last set done with 220lbs on a barbell)

Day 3 Rest

Day 4 Leg Extensions 5sets, reps 20, 20, 15, 12, 8-10 (go for the burn baby)
Leg Curls (I do these two as a superset)
Squats 5sets, reps20(155lbs),15(220lbs),10(310lbs),6(375lbs),2-4(440lbs)
Hack Squats 3sets, reps20, 15, 12
Standing Calf Raises 4sets, reps 20-10 for each set depending on weight
Seated Calf Raises (I do these two as a superset)
Day 5 Incline Dumbbell Curls 4sets, reps 15, 12, 10, 8
Tricep Pushdowns (I do these two as a superset)
Preacher Curls 3sets, reps 12, 10, 8
Seated French Press (I do these two as a superset)
Cable Curls 3sets, reps 15, 12, 10
Weighted Parallel Bar Dips (I do these two as a superset, weighted means I add weight over and above my bodyweight, I used to put a 90lbs dumbbell between my ankles for a last set on 10reps)

Days 6 and 7 I rested and prepared for the onslaught on Monday again.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
How many bold builders do you see racing?

So ant, you ride for 14 hours a weekend, meaning your bike is actually running 14 hours, or you are at the track that long? Actually being on the bike 7 hours a day is a TON of riding.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
I have a couple of friends training for the Roof of Africa (it has to be one of the toughest races in the world, 3 days of brutal whether conditions and some of the most technical terrain in the world - Drakensburg Mountains of Lesotho).

They went for a training ride last Saturday, it was supposed to be a 9 hour ride with 3 fueling points, but it rained and it took them 12 and a half hours to complete.

But 7 hours twice a week is hectic. I normally only get to ride for about 5 hours every second or third week, as I have other commitments. That is why I posted this thread to start with, it was to find out what others do to stay fit for riding when there don't get to ride often enough.

moore_716

Jun 1, 2005
Most everyone on here so far has been correct. There is no magic workout. Unfortunately you have to experiment to see what works for you. It also depends on how long you have to work out and the type of riding you do. Getting a strong "core" is essential to all exercises and riding. I believe you should do some intense cardio atleast 3x a week. I do 5-6 for 20 min. a pop. During this time I try to keep my heart rate up around 185 bpm. The formula for this is 220 minus your age times whatever % of your maximum heart rate you are seeking(usually 70-75%). As for lifting I alternate bodyparts every day so that I lift 5-6 days a week but don't hit the same muscle groups 2 days in a row. When I workout it's with a lot of intensity. I don't have much time so I take no more than a 30 sec. rest between sets. I also use a lot of machines because I can change weights fast. Here's an example for incline chest press I use.
1-75lb. 5 rep warm up no rest
2-230lb. 8-10 reps 30sec. rest
3-210lb. 8-10 reps. 30sec. rest
4-190lb. 8-10 reps. 30sec. rest
5-170lb. 8-10 reps. 30sec. rest
6-110lb. go to failure min. of 10 reps. if I can't get 10 reps I lighten the weight and do it again.

I change my workouts about once a month so that my body doesn't get used to it. This will stop you from hitting plateaus where you just level off. You should drink about 1 gallon of water per day. Do some research this is a realistic #. No I can't do it everyday, but I try. Also, without enough protein your muscles can't grow and recover. You should take in a minimum of 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh. It's also important to take some protein in within 15 min. of completing your workout. This is a crucial time for muscle rebuilding. These are just things that have worked for me and that are proven to work.

Corneilius

Nov 16, 2005
Our gym mysteriously closed its doors on us last Thursday night in a panic move.
Went there Saturday morning all motivated and everything was gone including our indoor cheap running shoes? Now we have to workout in our garage until we settle for another off season gym.

Skiping rope is by far the best cardio out there. We go as long as possible, makes a difference.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Posted this before but got told so many times: you guys should really try trial riding. Best fitness prog for better mx rider. I'm not inventing this stuff!

What do you guys think about that?

Noeboy89

Nov 13, 2005
I stick with the basics.

My routine is very simple, pilates, push-ups and jump rope. I do three sets of each Monday, Wednesday and Friday. No I don't ride as of yet. Lets say I'm getting fit to ride this spring. Alot of things I've read say work on your core and build endurance. Pilates take care of my stomach and back (core), push-ups do the arms and jump roping does the legs and helps with endurance. Btw, anyone ever seriously tried to jump rope continuously for a 3 minute set? Talk about a freakin wake up call! By the time the 3rd set comes around I'm about beat.

Last edited:

moore_716

Jun 1, 2005
Your workouts are good. The core is essential. I've never done pilates, but push-ups, and pull-ups are excellent. They both were many major muscles. Also, I used to jump rop all the time its killer. I used a 1.5# weighted rope. I just don't have the space to do it now, and my father-in-law used my jump rope as a tie down.

Top Bottom