Best Fix for Mid-Stroke Harshness on 2001 KX250

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
I was just wondering what the Best Fix for Mid-Stroke Harshness is on 2001 KX250 forks. I know it seems kind of general, but I am not looking for specifics. Just general opinions. I will be racing MX in the D class here in a few months. I am getting back into it after a few years away so I am a little rusty. I don't do any huge jumping but I do clear the occasional doubles. The front end feels a little harsh in landings and in the whoops. I am using the stock spring weight. I turned it out 2 clicks from stock. I am planning on lowering the fork oil level a little. Anyone have any opinions for the fork oil level for this bike for a 185lb slow guy? Would it be worth it to let Jeremy try a little revalving? Again, I am just looking for opinions and to see iof anyone else has noticed this on this bike. Overall I love the ride though, just trying to smooth the rough spots. Any input is appreciated.

Thanx,
Andy

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
If the fork is similar to a 2000 KX250 i would say a revalve is needed.The KX and late model Crs have no float on the midvalve and for some riders this gives too much feedback to the rider(me anyway).I like the base valve/spring setting they use but the midvalve is too strong for me.

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Thanks Marcus. I was pondering the thought of sending the forks in to see what could be done in the next few months. It might be worth it. You are right in saying alot feedback. The harder I ride, the sorer my arms get. That's the kind of opinion I was in search of. Now I can tell my wife that I need it done because Marcus said so. :D Just kidding. Thank you for the input.

Andy

Onore GT

Feb 20, 2001
The bladder forks which come on the late model KXs do respond well to oil level changes, you might try adjusting the oil level and playing with the clickers a bit more before you send them off. I don’t know how familiar you are with the forks, but the fork oil level in the KX bladder fork fluctuates depending on the speed the fork is compressed. Under high speed movements the fork oil level stays high. Under low speed movements the fork oil can bleed into the lower portion of the fork and compress an internal bladder to lower the oil level and soften the fork. My experience with the KX fork has been that oil level changes effect the initial movement and the overall firmness of the fork much more with than regular cartridge forks without the bladder. The fork oil adjustable range in the manual is between 60 and 120mm. I think that the standard level is 70mm. Try lowering it to 90mm and see how they feel. You can also open the compression adjuster a couple more clicks from where you are to loosen them up a bit.

Top Bottom