Best gearing for trail riding a 2002 kx 125?

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
I'm going to be installing a 9oz flywheel weight on my 2002 kx 125 in hopes of making it more trail worthy since I love everything about the bike except the power delivery. Anyone have any ideas about the best gearing for this bike to ride trails of all kinds including tight single track, and hill climbs of all sorts found on trails (but not sand dunes)? Currently the bike has 12/51 gearing, fmf fatty pipe, extra exhaust spacers, Q silencer, advanced ignition timing, clean/crisp jetting, soon a 9oz fww, stock 38mm tmx carb, boyesen dual stage reeds, new top end. Anything else anyone would recommend to make the bike more for "all around" riding including gp/trails/harescramble/enduro/a little mx track? The bike has stock suspension, which is recommended for my weight.
B.

VB Racing

~SPONSOR~
Jan 26, 2004
On my 2000 KX 125, I run either 12-50, or 12-49. I mostly run a 49 rear unless there is alot of technical uphill stuff. Hope this helps!!

Dave

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Do your find yourself running out of gearing on the top end or wishing for a lower gear at slow speeds? I find that stock gearing (don't remember what that is) on my 01 works well for me. I'm very happy with the power. Its more a matter of getting used to keeping the bike at the rpm where it works well than modding it to death to get it to work outside its intended rpm range. Don't be afraid to use the clutch. Get it in the right gear, or slightly high and slip the clutch just enough to get it to really take off, you will be amazed how fast it will accelerate and how well it will climb hills with proper gear selection and clutch use.

good luck

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
Thanx guys. I was just fishing to see if I missed anything obvious that would help me out! The stock gearing for the 2002 is 12/49. Right now I have 12/51, but I may go to 12/50 to get a little more headroom out of each gear. I'm putting on a 9oz fww when I recieve it so I'll go ride the bike and see what it feels like it wants after that. I can't go back to the stock gearing yet because I put my 49t on my klx 300 and I like it so I'm not going to take it back off! I may just have to buy another 49t for the little kx 125....
B.

Top Bottom