rayovac

Aug 28, 2000
Having parked our trailer right in view of the big whoops section on the MX track, we lined our lawn chairs up to watch the show whilie resting.

I have two votes for the best!

Number 1 would be KC_BigDog... WOW... riding Julius Pleaser's brand new YZ250F... big time ENDO over the last whoop.... Bike went cart wheeling... BigDog Slammed to the ground!

BigDog was battered and bruised but came back to take 13 in the C Final... Nice Job and glad you did not get hurt worse. Julius's bike had some scratches but survived pretty well considering the air time without a rider!!! :p

My number two vote goes to the 125 rider with number 65 on his bike. All afternoon on Saturday (and even Friday) he continued to practice doubling those same whoops... Never saw him actually become disconnected from the bike... But!!!! We got to see some GREAT FreeStyle moves!!! LOL... Oh Wait... not sure he really meant to do the SuperMan seat grab.... By the end of the weekend he was consistently landing the double, double.... I would have given up long before!!!

RayoVac

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by rayovac
My number two vote goes to the 125 rider with number 65 on his bike. All afternoon on Saturday (and even Friday) he continued to practice doubling those same whoops... Never saw him actually become disconnected from the bike... But!!!! We got to see some GREAT FreeStyle moves!!! LOL... Oh Wait... not sure he really meant to do the SuperMan seat grab.... By the end of the weekend he was consistently landing the double, double.... I would have given up long before!!!

RayoVac

i'm partially responsible for that. he and i were practicing the double-double together. i was encouraging him to just give it a little more throttle. i guess you didn't see him in the c main. #65 crashed there and took out my buddy tx246. i felt kinda guilty.:(

btw, tell #006 (i've forgotten his name) thanks for letting me ride his new cr.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I saw a guy in a pink tutu attempt a get-off....or maybe that was kiss-o-death, double foot ground plant. (huh?)

Anywho....that chap was on a funnly little bike and he seemed to be real paranoid about it cause he was giving everyone the bird as he exhibited his manuevers.

:p

rayovac

Aug 28, 2000
MX547... that was Popeye (Mike Vargo).... Geessh you got to ride the new CR??? I did not even get to ride it.... (just kidding), I was afraid to ride it... my luck would have me breaking some really expensive part the first twist of the throttle!!!

JayBird... that same guy got balled out by his wife a number of times for the freestyle attempts!! First on the Montego... then AJs 500AF... eveytime we turned around he was on a diff bike... ditched the pink tutu though.... I think he figured the wife would not catch him as easily!!! ;)

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by rayovac

RayoVac [/B]

That was my son Rob. I have the feeling that next year Rob will be much faster than he was this year.

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
Wow, I won something!!!!!

Rayovac--Thanks for the vote on best GET OFF at DIRT WEEK '01!! I hope I don't win that award next year. I still don't know what I was thinking when I tried for the double double on that YZ250F:eek: I should have been content just being able to do it on my trusty 125. I am paying for it now though but the worst of my injuries came from all that roost your damn CR250 was pummeling me with in the C class MX final. 4 laps behind that beast without a chest protector was enough to make a grown man cry! Looking forward to returning the favor next year!!

KXKen--I am sure Rob will be plenty fast next year. I was enjoying the battles I had with him on who would do the double double first on our identical bikes. I won that one but I am pretty positive had he not gone down in the MX final he would have beat me in that venue. I will be gunning for him next year! See you both there.

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
Lets see some more VOTES!!

There had to be some better ones than mine and BSwift's crashes over the double double. Let's get some more stories from everyone, even if there was no witnesses tell us about it. I heard in passing about some pretty gnarly ones in the woods during the team HS race and the night poker run.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I have to vote for KXKen's son

In the class C final he made it thru the double double but came up just short on the step up over the tunnel. I was flagging here so I got an unobstructed view. His rear end rebounded and kicked right then I thought he was going to save it on the next bounce but over reacted and ended up sideways to the left. He then completed 2 full forward sommersaults in layout position before going out of site below my line of site. His bike looked like it did at least 1 3/4 siderolls also before I lost site of it. Thankfully he eventually did "walk away from it:)

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
I think only TTRGuy & myself got to see gospeedracer's graceful log crossing dismount.
I didn't know weather to see if she was okay or move two states & change my name. :confused:

JOE13

Nov 15, 1999
When I was on the GP track I missed the turn right after that long uphill and got clotheslined by that yellow tape! I didn't really fall just sorta temporarilly strangled :confused: before it finally broke! Then, I almost did it again the next lap but stopped like a foot infront of it.:eek: I know a few people standing by that tower saw it. Man I'm lucky it wasn't rope.:think

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
That tunnel jump took a full comittment of wide open throttle to really clear. It took me a while to figure this out, for some reason I wanted to hesitate a bit, causing the described "bounce" which is scary to say the least.

rayovac

Aug 28, 2000
MotoMetal,

I speak for at least the four of us that spent a couple days watching you run that section.... Pure Poetry!!! Yeah, Billy, AJ, Travis and others were clearing the double, double and the Tunnel Jump. But none did it with the bike control (and vertical height over the doubles) you displayed.

It was very enjoyable watching him coast casually up to the face of the first double... then RAP... he would launch into the air... tap of the break to drop the nose, another RAP and TAP and all you saw was the roost as he launched over the Tunnel!!!

Oh yeah... and he never races or rides competitively!!!

(I have not been endorsed for any of the previous comments...)

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
I have to agree with Ray on that one Motometal. We were sitting right next to them and had plain view of the double double all weekend and your brake taps between the two of them were pretty impressive!!

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I also thought Moto's "no footer" on the second tabletop in heavy company during the A/B class heat was very impressive as well.

Somthing tells me that mild mannered motometal has been getting alot of seat time!:D

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
I dont know who it was or what the nember of the bike was ... But in the nightime hare scramble some poor soul on a Honda went down in all that sloppy mud in the back section and must have slid 10 feet. I laughed ( I mean showed real concern ;) ) for about half a lap.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I do have a lot of seat time. I started riding at age 11, and am 31 now. I've spent more time in the woods or just goofing around than anything. Not much natural talent, but many of those years I rode I would go out 4-5 times a week, lots of practice.

I didn't mean to give the impression I had never raced, I have raced a few times over the years, and then I quit again for the same reasons. I think my comment "I don't race" was mistaken for "I have never raced". As you could see, the start/gate/stoplight thing was not easy for me...not used to this.

When I was in my late teens, I raced probably 4 or 5 times in Minnesota, 125C, my goal was to not get last. Most of the time, I met this goal. '88CR125. Only did a few of these, then got out of it...too much driving!

Later on in college I raced in Cedar Rapids, IA at a supercross style track in the 16-24 B/C class...I musta been about 22. '93 CR250. Raced four times, got bored with it...too much pressure to do well.

A few years back I raced hare scrambles, the 2 hour no stopping type, I think 2 or 3 times in the A or B class. '96 RM300 (highly modified) This was ok, but again not my gig...the best thing was that this helped get me into shape!

So I guess I have averaged about 1 race every two years, but I was glad I raced at LTM because most of the reasons I don't like to race were not valid there. I knew almost everyone in the class, we weren't going to take each other out or be dangerous, there was only one moto (thank god), no money was involved, just strait up 5 laps for fun...327 and I had already been "racing around", so we were comfortable with each other (until Fredette squirted around me in a corner).:scream:

327, what is your screen name???

I had big plans to race a scrambles last year on my wife's KX100, (I can relate to AJ on the 80!), but this didn't pan out, we sold the bike.

So anyway, enough about my riding history, any more crashes that I missed? I didn't know about the one after the tunnel jump. On Thursday and Friday, I had a few close calls on that jump because I would bounce, and then there were these big ruts before the next jump...almost cross rutted a few times...no wonder my hand was sore from hanging on! I love it!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Jaybird
Moto's "no footer" on the second tabletop in heavy company

i saw that. i was a couple of bikes behind him. i actually laughed.:)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I saw that no-footer. I couldn't tell who it was though. I was pretty sure it was intentional, but you never know.

"I meant to do that." (PeeWee Herman in 'PeeWee's Big Adventure')

BSwift's crash was the only one that I had an unobstructed view of. He went over the bars and hit the ground like a sack of dirt, and then the Mamba flipped over and landed on him. It was a professional-quality endo--worthy of any highlight reel.

Jun 27, 2000
My vote is for the guy who was going threw the woops after the step-up step-down. Not sure what happen I saw the bike flipping. Then the poor guy got up he had no helmet on and his butt was hanging out of his ripped ridding pants. Man cover that up... no one wanted to see that.

We were camping by the woop's also. Seen alot of clasic dismounts.
Billywho he would have won if he would have went down. He tried to jump the whole woop section. Well he did it, he jumped them all. We were standing at Donnie and Stacy's camp. When he jumped them all. He came soooo close to hitting a tree. Kinda out of control. Stacy was running to get out of his way. That was the best part she was running for her life.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Motometal volunteered to ride the Tag Team Harescramble with me after Bswift hurt himself leaving me without a partner. Mototmetal and me then went to the woods for a little practice, after we road a lap or so he then said he didn't feel comfortable in the woods at those speeds. Then at the start line I found Dead Eng Start without a partner so everything was cool . Then right before the race (which he was going to take the first lap on ) he said he had a fuel leak, he said he'd be back before I got done with the first lap.
Boy talk about giving a guy a complex, bswift hurts himself so he doesn't have to ride with me. Mototmetal admits fear, even though he could outride any mortal on the mx track and Dead eng start breaks his bike. Made me wonder how bad I really was.:think
Motometal was the funnest guy to watch all weekend long. Absolutely marvelous.
Dead Eng did get his bike fixed and then saved the day for us by turning in a super good first lap.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
first let me say that this was not a crash,and maybe i'm posting in the wrong section,but on the parade lap of the daytime poker run,at the fisrt big,long,deep puddle, i noticed that no one was actually checking its depth properly. being a true altruist, i thought it was my duty to completely lay out my bike and lay on my side for a bit to check the water temp,depth,and current. it was chilly,deep and the current was goin'"that-a-way" btw, through out the event i checked the other puddles and mug-bogs equally.that's why it took me so long to finish. i guess some people are just "givers":cool:

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
sfc-

Since your screen name stands for SRG. FIRST CLASS CRASH, I have now nominated you to test ride the track first at every DW from now on show everyone how not to do it. Then you will take the helmet cam through the woods and so everyone can see how not to go though them.

You said you were a "giver" so you should be ecstatic about you nomination a DW "Crash Test Dummy" from now on.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by Dead eng start

He came soooo close to hitting a tree. Kinda out of control. Stacy was running to get out of his way. That was the best part she was running for her life.
KINDA out of control ? The track was so slippery there, I was going where ever that bike wanted to take me :p . Give Stacey my apologizes

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i accept the nomination and i'd like to thank the drn site...my mother for dropping me on my head regularly in my early youth and the us army 82d airborne for continuing to drop me on my head through out my adault life.btw, i'v decided to take my show on the road in D17 in '02. as my wife put it" after dirt week results you WANT to race! they've got a,b,c classes, i hope they have an s class,as in special needs,for you":cool:

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by sfc crash
i accept the nomination and i'd like to thank the drn site...my mother for dropping me on my head regularly in my early youth and the us army 82d airborne for continuing to drop me on my head through out my adault life.btw, i'v decided to take my show on the road in D17 in '02. as my wife put it" after dirt week results you WANT to race! they've got a,b,c classes, i hope they have an s class,as in special needs,for you":cool:

Looks like you are poised to dethrone AJ as the DRN crash test dummy.

Top Bottom