Best hard plastic under jersey protector?

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
I am looking for a chest protector I can wear under my jersey that isnt a full suit like my 661 pressure suit and doesnt have to be worn outside my jersey like my thor force and 661 full defender.
So far I am looking at the 661 Race Jacket (I know its not hard plastic but looks pretty good and 661 products have never let me down), the EVS FLux and Revolution 4. Other than that I can't find anything else that looks like it offers what I am looking for. Anyone have anything different that is similar or has tried one of the above mentioned items?

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I use the Troy Lee under my jersey w/o the shoulder caps. I'm about 5'8" 165lbs. it fits me great. I have bought and returned the 661 and EVS unit's you mentioned. They don't compare to the TLD.

patto3

Apr 8, 2006
Answer racing make a suit called the stonespray sheild which is similar to the 661 race jacket, looks good to. Just remember that it protects you from roost, not grazes.

Shawn007

Oct 22, 2005
Have you bought yet? Post your answer so we don't reply for nothing. I don't like to skimp on protection. I made this decision carefully about 4 years ago. I don't know if Thor still makes mine. I think it's called the scattershield. It has it all yet not too bulky to wear under the jersey. By the look of me, you can tell I have it on, but for all the protection it offers including shoulder side caps, it's worth it. I've crashed too many times to not think about wearing shoulder side caps. Most under jersey protectors are also underprotectors(read not enough protection). Remember, if you are in this for the long haul, use good protection. Looks are for girlymen. Have fun.

railer

Nov 4, 2005
Are you looking for roost protection or impact protection?

Basically a Thor Sentinel will do nothing for impact protection while the EVS and 661 models you were talking of would help during a fall. I'm not saying you'll be bulletproof while wearing them, but they will do a better job of protecting your shoulders and arms.

I say this becuase I was recently injured while wearing a Thor Sentinel which I have now sold. I bought it thinking I needed roost protection and good looks, as inexperience made me a "girly-man". After fracturing my humerous up near my shoulder (at the rotator cuff), I realized if I'd had something to protect my outer shoulder, I may have got through the accident with just some bruises and scrapes. As it was I had serious "dirt rash" on my arms and as stated above, a fractured upper arm bone. This injury has been extremely frustrating and recovery is supposed to take up to six months, possibly more. I haven't been able to ride since July, but I'm coping, becuase had I not been injured, I would be in Iraq now anyway.

What I'm getting at, is that roost hurts, but crashing hurts worse and can lead to injury. You should concentrate on finding a product that will provide all-around protection (through padding) more against the impacts of falling rather than rocks hitting you (which only hurts if you're a girly-man, haha).

Hope this helps. Good luck!

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
I have a icon field armour vest I use for under my jersey, it has a lot of protection. It's supposed to be a vest for street bike stunting but I also use it for off road, I fell a few times since I've had it and it protects me pretty well.

Top Bottom