gopat

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 19, 2007
Hi,
I just returned to dirt bikin since the 80's and rode the single and double "Tin Cup" trails (Little Manistee Map) and what a crazy mess... The trail is fun from a technical perspective (sand...) but thank goodness there are lots of "Call 911" signs! I can't imagine what the single path is like on a busy Saturday afternoon. The clearcut forest sections of the single path provide zero visibility for forward traffic... Wouldn't one way traffic be a bit more sane on the single path? Or does everyone walk their bike around blind corners?

Perhaps a more important question is what other trails on the above map have better single path trails with more dirt and less sand and stop signs?
Thanks!

24mph,m/l

Sand? What sand?

Face it Michigan is synonymous with sand. As far as other traffic, stick to the single track so as to (hopefully) aviod quads. Ride your bike with the headlight on at all times. I'd hate to see the trails designated one-way, as riding the opposite way makes it seem like a whole different trail, thereby doubling the trail experiences available. If you want one-way traffic, ride an enduro!

gopat

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 19, 2007
Thanks for your viewpoint! My guess is that the trails improve as you drive further North from the big cities. The lower traffic, "good stuff" used to start near White Cloud, now I am guessing it will be near Cadillac. So much for saving gas...

About the one-way trail idea, I agree that 2-way trails provide more value for the same piece of land. But, I have real scars and vivid memories of writhing on the ground after a blind corner, head-on impact... I will only ride that kind of trail early in the morning and on a weekday.

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
Yes, blind two-way corners stink. I met a dune buggy head on at 16 years old. This experience still haunts me today! Even though I've had this experience I don't think that traffic on the ORV route should be one way! If you are on high speed route and are concerned with blind corners, slow down. The good trails in Michigan unfortunately don't start around Cadillac either. I definately hope you have some luck finding some low traffic good stuff, but making the route one way is not the answer. Just my 2 cents. Have a good day....

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
gopat said:
Thanks for your viewpoint! My guess is that the trails improve as you drive further North from the big cities. The lower traffic, "good stuff" used to start near White Cloud, now I am guessing it will be near Cadillac. So much for saving gas...

About the one-way trail idea, I agree that 2-way trails provide more value for the same piece of land. But, I have real scars and vivid memories of writhing on the ground after a blind corner, head-on impact... I will only ride that kind of trail early in the morning and on a weekday.
All Michigan single track will be beat up no matter where you go so get use to it. The more open easy stuff will get the most traffic. If you don’t like the sand or the whoops then I would suggest taking up dual sporting.

bterp67

Apr 5, 2007
I remember back in the 80's the trail maps were actually labled as one way traffic, and there was still people that went the wrong way.
I agree with "Ride an Enduro" if you want one way traffic. You will get fresh single track event trail, and with more entries in an event, the more support we may get for more enduros. I ride them to enjoy the event trail, along with the obstacles that usually get cleared from an ORV trail. Michigan & Indiana has some great Enduro's. I'm not sure where you are from, but if live in southern Michigan, Indiana is not a far drive.

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
HERE WE GO AGAIN :laugh: MAYBE FOR THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE MIGHTY BIG MAC WE SHOULD TEAR IT DOWN. SEEMS TO BE A LOT OF HARRASSMENT FROM THOSE YOOPERS ON US DOWN STATERS :bang:

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Good one Magoo. And here I thought "Big FranK" was the funny one! Are you and Frank going to Harrison? How did that XC head work out for you?

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
:)

Frank the Foot (aka Log Jam) is taking a break from enduros. Something about wanting to work on his golf game -- it's a little easier given his pre-race "routine!"

Just installed the head last nite -- will try it out tonight. Had two enduros back to back after the LM, honey-dos that were falling behind, and some family obligations that got in the way of getting the important stuff done. Back on track now! :nod:

Retired Trailboss Nick and I will be there, and I'll be bringing a special guest... barkbuster67, aka Smit-Dog, who hopes to be riding like minute 10, 11 or 12, and is looking to keep his streak alive in Senior B. I'm working on my protest now... :nener:

24mph,m/l

bterp67 said:
I remember back in the 80's the trail maps were actually labled as one way traffic, and there was still people that went the wrong way.
I agree with "Ride an Enduro" if you want one way traffic. You will get fresh single track event trail, and with more entries in an event, the more support we may get for more enduros. I ride them to enjoy the event trail, along with the obstacles that usually get cleared from an ORV trail. Michigan & Indiana has some great Enduro's. I'm not sure where you are from, but if live in southern Michigan, Indiana is not a far drive.
"Obstacles that usually get cleared from an ORV trail" means, in retired trailboss Nick's words, the trails have been "wussified". I prefer lots of obstacles, it keeps the damn quads away!

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
67- It works best that way. If you really want to go fast take the air filter and seat off along with both fenders.

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
Smit-Dog, weren't you in front of MaGoo to begin with before the yelling started? Who was passing who? Or as MaGoo explained, you were cutting (or cutting across) the course. :laugh:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I never said the yell was an attempt to "pass" Magoo. :coocoo:

After seeing Magoo pinned to the ground with a Honda CR250 on top of him in the last section, I assumed he and said Honda rider would be discussing the nuances of trail etiquette for quite a while.

Imagine my surprise when in an unforeseen instant our muddy bikes tangled violently in a slurry of mud, only to both be passed by a flying piece of broken orange plastic.

I expressed my apologies using some choice expletives even young Caleb has yet to hear, and high-tailed it out of there before the Honda CR250 rider landed on me.

.... That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :nod:

.... And don't think the irony didn't strike me.... BarkBuster bringing up course cutting and all! :rotfl:

Top Bottom