kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
I am 5'10 175.

This is a double post sorry, I did not know we had a mini bike section.
Trying to figure out what bikes are best for mini/backyard MX?

xr 50
xr70
xr100
ttr 90
Are there any mini two strokes adults can ride? I saw a clip of adults riding minis and it looked like so much fun. I am going to set up a small track and want to know what options are out there as far as bikes go?

All advice is appreciated?

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
the xR50 is probably the best chioce. Why? there are so many aftermarket hop ups availible for this bike. Also there are many places that actually have racing availible for this class of bike. I'm 5'7" and weight 225. I can fly around on the xR no problem. You will want the handlebar upgrade first thing and the large seat foam is good too. Then the 88cc kit with cam. Then the forks. By the time your done you could have bought a used CR250 but its tons o fun.

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
I think the ttr125 will be too big.

I am torn between the xr 70 and the xr50.

The fork upgrade is for the xr 70 forks. And the extra cc's. The 70 already has.

I want small bikes to fly on. Maybe I will have to go with the xr50. Is there a big bore kit for the xr 70?

Sincerely,

Riz

PATHUMPERGUY

Dec 13, 2001
riz,the 50 and the 70 have the same bottom end basically so the big bores should inter change.just be ready to spend some coin either way because it is so addictive to race these things.i have a 50 with suspension work a hi comp pistonand pipe with carb mods and it rips.plenty of parts out there ,skys the limit$$$$-good luck!

FMFHonda161

Jul 11, 2002
I just went ro that site and if u want for about 400 dollars u can turn an Xr 50 into a 73cc. It's purty sweet!! And i bet those little things rip. BRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
I also seen an Awesome setup at www.sanoracing.com it looks like for around 2 grand you get More travel & Front & rear disk brake & Better front forks. that would be about 3200.00 for a new XR50 that looks almost like a little KTM.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by kingriz1

I am torn between the xr 70 and the xr50.

The fork upgrade is for the xr 70 forks. And the extra cc's. The 70 already has.

There is a fork upgrade specifically for the xR50. The first "stage" is beefier springs. next is actually putting on the xR70 fornt end. Then there is an entire inverted setup.
Several of the companies actually make 88cc kits.
Also they make an aluminum frame for the xR50. Also colored plastic in red, yellow or blue.
also the biggest play class I have seen has been off of the base xR50. MC and Pastrana race this class. Basically an open 50 class as seen on Mini Warriors.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Are you guys nuts :eek: all that dough on a mini, Riz, do you plan to race, or just have fun. If you like the XR70, then the KLX110 or DRZ110 may be the ticket, I also like the 125 pit bikes, TTR, DRZ or KLX 125 - backyard racing these things looks like the way to go :)

xr400xr50r

Oct 2, 2001
Hi all,
I think that the XR50 is the ONLY mini for an adult (is an XR70 really a mini??) My 5 year old has ridden an XR50 for about a year and a half (and, I have NEVER BEEN CAUGHT[/Briding it. It's 100% stock but I have been to all of the web sites....I will put as many different links here as possible. Pax racing has some serious engine kits, while motoworld has killer body mods, and sanoracing has suspension...just look through all of these links. These links show that the XR is the only mini an adult should ride@!@!
(the last 2 links are of my 5 year old on his 2 bikes...the 1st one is his XR50R, the 2nd one is his KX60 that he's had for 3 days!!!)
Good luck and choose your mini wisely................John
http://www.hondaminitrail.com/
http://minimx.com/custom.cfm
http://www.motoworldracing.com/off-road-xr-50.html
http://www.sanoracing.com/index_2.html
http://www.paxracing.com/homepage.htm

http://www.81x.com/xr400xr50r/MX
http://www.81x.com/xr400xr50r/kx60

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
hey xr400xr50r those are some good pics of your lil one. Looks like about time to upgrade to a bigger mini. Or at least something with suspension made for that kind of jumpin. I bet he would fly on a bike with great suspension.
Jason

xr400xr50r

Oct 2, 2001
Jasle,
Hey, I know what you mean!! We look around for bikes and got a pretty good deal on the KX60. We were looking into a 65 but $$$ and we haven't even been to a track with the KX60....right now the 60 will be fine (i think)as i've heard it's bullet-proof. we went ridin' today at lunchtime.....the 2-stroke really kicks.

kx22.jpg

kx27.jpg

kx23.jpg

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Yeah you otta have fun on the 60 for a while. My son was beatin the crap out of his xR. We're looking to pick up a used 65 soon. We just got a New King Cobra but he says he wants to shift. He asked if he could just have a 65 for riding around the house and race the king. It all depends on how much $$ i can get a learner 60 or 65 for. They seem to get a good premium around here.

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Hey Bundu,

What happened to you? You still in Ft Worth?

I am really looking into the klx110. How does it compare to the xr 50. It looks cool. I am just gonna race around on my place. I think the KLX 110 might be ready to go out of the box. Just add new triple clamp and bars.

What do you guys think of the klx110?

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Riz, project ended sooner than expected, tried to PM you, box was full - will have to look you up next time I am in town.

Hey if you like yellow, you can always get the DRZ110 :)

The DRZ110/KLX110 is the same size as the XR70, just more vooma, got my boy the JR80 which is a little bigger, and even on this bike I feel like a monkey - 110 should be a hoot. The DRZ/KLX/TTR 125's look like insane little pit bikes, AJ and KelvinKDX have just about as much fun on these little bikes as they do on the big ones (Okie too) :)

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
KLX is a nice bike and seem to be fairly reliable. A lot of people use them for pit bikes. They are gaining in popularity for aftermarket parts too. If your just messing around the house it is a good bike. Also the jr80 and the pw80 are fun. I think the klx looks the coolest though.

But a 12hp xR sounds FUN!!! That is as much as the Cobra/Polini?ktm 50's but in a frame that could haul me around. Maybe I'll get the kit next year?

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
If you got the dough, the xr50 is the way to go. You can even turn them into clutched transmissions for $1500.

If I had $8000 to burn, I'd build me the ultimate XR50. :yeehaw:

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
What about the least amount of dough for a good bike?

What do you guys think about the KLX 110? From where I see a new triple clamp bars and some new springs should be ready to go.

This way it has cool looks and a nice motor.
I will be racing them at my own place not at sanctioned races.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom