jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Lately when I run my 200 hard such as a long hill climb, I've noticed a little bit of grayish blue smoke. It's not nearly as much smoke as one would see from a bike with poor piston rings, but it's there when the bike is revved high. Smoke only appears in those situations such as a long climb that we have where the bike is pinned for about 10 seconds.

I got my bike in July and I've been riding it pretty stedily since then. It's a 2001, but it had one owner before me so I'm not sure how many times the oil has been changed if at all. So I figure that's it due and perhaps that's why it's smoking a little.

I know it only takes a quart and I have a few sitting around the garage. I was wondering which of these two would be better for my bike.

Valvoline 20W50
Havoline 10W40

My manual says that either weight is fine, but I'd like to know which will suit me better. I live in western PA and I do plan to occasionally take the bike out in the yard during the winter.

Also, if there is another kind of oil that would do an even better job, please suggest it. Would a synthetic possibly be better?

I thank anyone who will help me.

Deeler

Feb 19, 2000
There's been many "what oil to use" questions on this board. I suggest using the search engine, and reading previous posts.
The common ground seems to be - use a quality oil, and change it often.

DAVE

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
Stick with Honda Brand 20-50W FOUR STROKE OIL(black plastic bottle)change every 6 hours of riding,or 2 hours of racing. Change oil often.:cool:

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Is it really a good habit to change my oil ever 6 hours? I mean I have probably put close to 100 hours on my bike since I've had it and who knows how many it had since the previous oil change. I probably put in 8 hours of riding this weekend. I thought every 3 months or so would be good.

I guess I'll start changing it every month now instead of prolonging it. I mean, it won't kill your engine to have old oil in it as long as it has something, but doing that consistently would certainly have adverse effects on my engine.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I rode an '87 XR200 up until this last year. I ran automotive type oil in it for a couple years, and never had any problems. However, I have found that the Pro Honda GN4 and HP4 oils are some of the best you can use.

XR's use the same oil to lubricate the transmission and the motor. Automotive oil is fine for your motor, but it's worthless in your tranny. The "4-stroke" motorcycle oil you see around, including the GN4 and HP4, have additives for lubricating the tranny. By the way, I use 10W40.

Xrsforever was correct when he said to change your oil often. Your aircooled motor, and tranny will get very hot when you ride. This heat quickly breaks down the oil. So yes, change your oil after every couple rides, and keep your airfilter clean just as often. Not as often, but just as important, is keeping your valves and cam chain adjusted properly. Your little 200 will run forever if you properly maintain it. Go to your local Honda shop and get a Honda Service Manual, they are about $60, but well worth it if you care about your bike. Good luck, and keep on thumpin'!

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Automotive oil is fine for your motor, but it's worthless in your tranny. The "4-stroke" motorcycle oil you see around, including the GN4 and HP4, have additives for lubricating the tranny. By the way, I use 10W40.

The above statement is complete and utter BS.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom