Best Option For Hauling Bikes . . .

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I've got a Versa-Haul, which carries 2 bikes, slides into a standard 2" receiver hitch, goes on and comes off with ease, etc. For storage, you can slide it under a car in the garage, or prop it up against the wall. Takes up no room.

My stock Silverado's hitch gradually gave up the ghost with this thing. Serious torque/angular forces on the hitch. Had to bolt on a Class III hitch. Getting bikes on and off is a dream. Extremely easy, one man job with tie downs.

WaldoVH

Nov 2, 2006
How many bikes do you intend to haul? Those trailer hitch bike haulers are great except I think hauling more than one bike on one is kind of risky. The nice thing about pickups and trailers is that you and your friends don't have to travel separately.

I would keep the truck, doesn't your wife's car have a back seat?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I don't know the engineering behind it, but I noticed in my truck's owners manual that the automagics have a better tow rating than the shift for yourself option.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Whether an automatic is 'better' for towing is debateable.

However, in many cases the automatic has a much higher tow rating from the manufacturer (Ford F150 for example).

IMO, this is because the truck's manufacturer does not want to replace a whole bunch of clutches under warranty. Backing a heavy load up a steep hill can burn a clutch up in a hurry, especially if the driver is inexperienced and needs to stop and start a few times on the hill.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I would check out the new honda pickup. Thats like an SUV with a short box. But if you do decide on a 4-door or cab and a half pickup, you won't have to worry about having enough room inthe back untill the child gets abou 12 and really starts growing, or until you have at least two more on the way. I know that the newer Dogde Dakota's advertise the most interior space, but most any truck, while not having the "most" room will have enough that you wont need to worry. You'll be able to carry alot more stuff when you need/want/have to. Plus, in a couple years you'll have at least one more bike to haul around, even if it will be little, and maybe get one for the wife, too! BTW even if you wife doesn't want a truck at first (which I've heard happen before) remember that chicks like trucks!! Plus they are alot safer. I like trucks because of the power and safety factor. I'm usaully driving a Dodge 2500 V10, and when I get in a Ford Ranger my seat belt is SURE to go on. It kinda feels l like a go-kart. You kind of forget what it feels like to be able to touch the other door sitting in the driver seat. With a little one, if you have the money, I would defintly check out safety ratings along with tow capicity, etc. There are also some good cpmromises between safety, room, and gas milage on most newer trucks.

Wrekt-1

Oct 27, 2006
I know it would suck after a dirty ride, but I was able to fit my 94 KX250 in a dodge caravan. Minivans are generally geared lower for mostly non-distance, non-highway driving. Don't get me wrong, they are capable. Depends on how big you expect your family to get?! I would personally go with RAV or Escape. Lots of friends in SoCal with escapes dragging twin jetskis, or jetboats, so should do totally fine. Plus small enough to learn to manouver with trailer. Also, factor in where you live, lots of snow? G/L

Top Bottom