Best Performance mod for a 2001 M/XC 400

dmsmith14

Jul 20, 2000
Just picked up my 2001 M/XC 400 and I really like it a lot. Just seems that the top end/mid power band is a bit soft. I just came off a DRZ400 that was modified pretty sweet.

What are some choices/recommendations for some good improvements since this is my first KTM in 8 years. I am also thinking of messing with the sprockets to make it a bit more like the E/XC. Thanks for the input.

This bike will be primarily used as a Harescramble bike, but also used for the occasional MX.

D Smith
2000 Suzuki DRZ400 (for sale)
2001 KTM 400 M/XC
1998 Yamaha R/T 100 (pit bike)

Oct 27, 2000
Pro-Circuit exhaust. It will be a completely different bike. More power and hit but not to much hit. It is louder though.

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
The PC T-4 exhaust will wake the bike up alot. I run it with the quiet core insert for riding on public land and races that require a sound test. I open it up for Moto and love the intimidation factor. With the quiet core it is as quiet as stock but alot lighter, smaller and performs better. Plus it looks cool!!;)

dmsmith14

Jul 20, 2000
When installing the PC pipe for the M/XC, what are you doing with the jet settings? I know that I made a large jump when I went Yosh on DRZ. What Main jet size are you finding is the best? With any fuel/air mixture screw adjustments?

I find that there are a lot of guys in this "dirtrider.net" that are much more technical savvy than I am. I am kinda like Cole Trickle in Days of Thunder. Just put me on a bike that goes fast and I am better off. I just don't have the time to devote to working on my bike that much. Thanks again for any insight.

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
Hey PTCruiser,

I thought it wasalot slower 'till I put a stop watch on myself with and without the core installed. Not a bit of difference. Luv to hear the thunder but it's a bit obnoxious for most applications.

dmsmith14

Jul 20, 2000
Tbob,

Perhaps I am overlooking the obvious---but where in the heck is that post you are talking about? I have given up looking, and I can't find the search thing that used to be here too.

Top Bottom