BigKYZ

Jan 12, 2006
I am going to need a completely new top end in the next month or two here for my 2000 YZ125, and this is the first rebuild I will have ever attempted.

I was wondering if Wiseco, Vertex, Athena, Other Brands, or the Factory Yamaha piston is the best for reliability? Performance may also be a factor, so please let me know what you all think. And what all will I need to do this job as far as parts go? I know gaskets, and the piston, but what else?

Also, I'm looking into a Spark Arrestor Muffler for woods riding, and I'm wondering if the FMF TurbineCore 2 is a good fit with my Fatty Pipe? Will I have to rejet after this, and will it be more restrictive than the stock muffler?

One last question, what is a good replacement clutch (springs, steel plates, friction plates)? They can be mix and match brands, it doesn't bother me.

THANKS, BigKYZ

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I normally just get wiseco's cause I can get the complete top end kits for cheap threw motosportsoutlet $99 for a complete top end kit gaskets even the bearing everything you'll need. Vertex's threw them are like $10 more over wiseco's. It costs more to price together a OEM kits by the time you by everything seperate. As far as wiseco vs vertex want one is better I'd say they are petty much the same in wear/performance.

But as far as the clutch plates both fiber/metal/spings I'd stick with OEM. They work best with the YZ clutch plus make sure you also install them back together right. The two inner metal plates on on one edge have a smooth outter edge. Make sure you put them facing down towards the basket/fiber surface. It's suppose to make the clutch work smoothly.

Top Bottom