halowords

Sep 29, 2004
Just curious, but as a novice what is the best place to start riding:

Track or Trails?

I've pretty much decided on the current generation of CR250's, passed the MSF course, and know the safety equipment I need, but wasn't sure where I should begin riding between the two most obvious choices. I'm interested in MXing, primarily because of driving distance, and the fact I'll be going dirtbiking by myself, but I'd also like to ride trails at some point in my life. Not really interested in racing at this point.

Sooooooooo . . . Any pro's or con's between the two, particularly in starting out in one over the other as I'm learning to be highly proficient at offroad riding (e.g. cost, broken bones, scenery, commeraderie, getting lost in the middle of nowhere when nobody knows where you are and you run out of gas, etc.)?

-Cheers

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Trails and if you have to ride alone make sure someone knows when and where you're going and when you expect to return, then do not change the plan also carry a cell phone, but trails would be the best place to start.

Have fun and :ride: often

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Best place to start would be a wide open field. I leaned to ride in the power lines near my house. Trails are the obvious next best. An MX track is probably one of the worst places to learn. On an MX track, there are other things to worry about besides your own riding. There will be people of all abilities on an mx track and you will have to wory about taking peoples lines and hitting jumps and things like that. You will also have your ego checked at an MX track when you get smoked by some kid on a 80cc...Not that it's happened to me, it's just what i've heard....

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Trails, for sure.

Learning to ride a dirt bike on an MX track is like learning to ride a sportbike at a track day.

halowords

Sep 29, 2004
mtk said:
Learning to ride a dirt bike on an MX track is like learning to ride a sportbike at a track day.

Funny since that was the line of thought that eventually led me to decide on a dirtbike in the first place . . .

-Cheers

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Trails for sure or a wide open field. I learned how to ride in my parents front yard, and they live in a subdivision. So there wasn't much room to learn in! That's when we hit the trails. Have fun! :)

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I probably should have said "morning practice at a club race weekend" rather than a track day.

Just watch an AMA Motocross race and look at all the bumping and grinding going on, then remember that the same thing happens at the amateur level, except the riders aren't as talented as AMA Pros. Not that anyone would try and take you out or something, but rather that they're going to be doing things that are normal in a race environment and you're not going to be expecting them. Not to mention that an open field gives you the option of stopping whenever you like to catch your breath/unclench your sphincter.

I'd agree on the "big, open field" thing since this is your first dirt bike. There's a lot to be said for being able to twist the loud handle without having to worry about bouncing off that big oak tree in front of you.

There's something immensely satisfying about the first time you're forward on the seat in second gear and you whack it and pull a nice, long power wheelie. I seem to recall the thought "Holy crap this thing has balls!" :)

Top Bottom