Best premix oil for 07 KTM 200 XC-W?

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
I just got an 07 XC-W and would like to know which premix oil you guys use. The oil the dealer gave me (Pro Honda HP2) smokes too much. I don't need high performance as much as less smoke. Thanks.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
My informal testing has proven to me that Mobil 1 racing 2t (MX2t) is about the best all around oil out there.

We are now using it in shifter karts with excellent results. That is about the toughtest environment as far as wear goes.

By the way, my testing years ago showed that 32 to 1 is enough oil to protect nearly any high performance engine under nearly any condition. The only exception being very highly tuned (not stock) shifter karts. Many engines last quite long on 40 to 1 or even 50 to 1.

Testing has also shown that more oil produces more power. Some tests show that ratio's as rich as 8 to 1 produce the most output. I currently use 32 to 1, but 16 to 1 did produce a bit more power.

Chris

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
I have used Golden Spectro for years with good results. I used it at 40:1 in my 2001 KTM 200EXC, but I have been using it at 50:1 in my 2006 XC-W with better results. The bike was running a little lean (gas/air) at 40:1 for break in so less oil made it fuel mixture better (it used to give a late surge when the throttle was off after running wide open).

It does not spooge out the tail pipe much. I ran the original packing for 1 year without having to replace it due to oil buildup in the muffler. By the way, the stock KTM muffler has no spark arrester and is a heavy pig! The FMF with a spark arrester is much lighter!
RAD DAD

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
cujet said:
My informal testing has proven to me that Mobil 1 racing 2t (MX2t) is about the best all around oil out there...
Any time I see a thread like this I have to chime in and rave about Mobile 1 Racing 2T. So I second what Chris said! :cool: :cool: (two thumbs up!)

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
By the way, the stock KTM muffler has no spark arrester and is a heavy pig! The FMF with a spark arrester is much lighter
I ordered the silencer/sa already, although more to dampen the noise than for weight reduction.

I appreciate the info, but most of the posts still seem to focus on performance, not smoke reduction. There's no point in annoying my neighbors if I don't have to - they're very tolerant of DB's and ATV's and I think excess smoke and fumes would not be appreciated.

There's people that ride 2t Blasters and little MX'er bikes and none of them blow the amount of smoke my KTM does. Is it partially b/c it's brand new? I'll check out that Mobil Racing oil tho - thanks!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The Mobil1 Racing 2T is going to be a very low smoke oil. I am another fanatic about it's performacne and price.

But, no matter what oil you use...if the metering devices in the carb are not providing the correct mix of air/fuel/oil to the engine, it will smoke. Oil brand isn't going to change that much.
There also isn't much in a new motor that can make it smoke worse than a used bike after the first five minutes of run.

You can probably do a search here and find what others with your engine are doing as far as their jets (metering devices) are concerned. And changing the jets is simple and painless. Maybe a little awkward and confusing at first, but do it once and you will see how easy it was.
Your bike is probabaly going to smoke until you get some things sorted out, and there are hundreds, if not thousands, of folks here willing to help you all they can.

Bottom line is, excessive smoke goes hand in hand with the performance aspects of the bike. If the bike is set to perform well, the smoke will be lessened...and visa-versa.

Best of luck!

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
there are hundreds, if not thousands, of folks here willing to help you all they can.
I can see that already and hopefully I will be able to pass that on by helping somone else in some other area. :cool:

Eric Jones

Jan 30, 2004
Maybe your jetting is all wrong. Do you foul plugs? I have used Honda HP before and I don't think it smokes any more than some other brands. Is the bike broke-in properly?

BadMotoWeazal

Aug 21, 2004
Repsol

My dealer ordered a bunch of Repsol Competition Synthetic pre-mix and gave me some for free to try. At first I was a little sceptical, I had used Spectro & MOTUL for years with minimal issues in the top end & powervalve. I tried it & 3 years later I'm still a Repsol man. It's CLEAN, I have a clear IMS tank & many times people ask if I'm mixing oil to my gas because the the oil is a clean golden color. 3 top ends later, minimal carbon build up on the piston, powervalve is as clean as a powervalve can be after a year of woods riding, & after the motor warms up, no smoke. High quality oils from Spain. Most shops don't stock it, mine does & it's fairly inexpensive compared to MOTUL. Try some. :laugh:

JayC

Dec 18, 2006
trailqueen said:
I just got an 07 XC-W and would like to know which premix oil you guys use. The oil the dealer gave me (Pro Honda HP2) smokes too much. I don't need high performance as much as less smoke. Thanks.

You smoke problem is less due to oil then your overly-rich jetting. Jet your bike correctly and the smoke will be minimized.

That being said, and from what I can gather, the big differences between oils is the eventual glop that ends up in your powervalve. I've heard bad things about Spectrol, most dino-oils, and all castor-based oils in this regard. Word on the street is to stick to synthetics. Amosoil and Mobil synthetics seem to be everybodys favorites for spotless innards. Nobody complains about Yamalube either, though it's a semi-synthetic. Also, Mobil makes the Honda oils, so I'd expect Honda synthetics to also be very good.

JayC

"rippinrol"

aka tippinroll
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 11, 2002
trailqueen said:

Thats what I use at 40:1 works fine for me. A little smoke big deal it helps keep the mosquitoes away.. :laugh:

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
A little smoke big deal it helps keep the mosquitoes away..
Yeah, but it also annoys the neighbors, who are all good people and tolerate my db addiction.

I heard Blue Marble oil is excellent. Right now I switched to Maxima Super M smokeless formula and that's helped a lot. Since this is a brand new bike, how can the jetting be that far off?

Denny1068

Jan 25, 2007
yeah ive tried basically all of them yama, amsoil...lala but i like the 927 castor by maxima it is clean burning and you will never foul a plug...i use 40:1

BadMotoWeazal

Aug 21, 2004
Since this is a brand new bike, how can the jetting be that far off?[/QUOTE]

Because Austria is far, far away in a different climate zone with different humidity & altitude. So when the bike is at the factory the jetting is set up for the factory's climate, Usually it's not too far off from what you need here in the US, but it does take a little work to get it right. Living in Alabama, jetting new bikes is a little more difficult with almost 100% humidity 6-7 month out of the year to 45% humidity during the winter. My KTM dealer usually sets the jetting up for the customer of a new bike as part of the PDI. :nod:

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
trailqueen said:
Yeah, but it also annoys the neighbors, who are all good people and tolerate my db addiction.

I heard Blue Marble oil is excellent. Right now I switched to Maxima Super M smokeless formula and that's helped a lot. Since this is a brand new bike, how can the jetting be that far off?

I use Castrol TTS and when my bike is fully warmed up I have practically no smoke. But as mentioned your stock jetting may be part of your smoke problem if it's too rich.

BMEPdoc

Sep 13, 2006
trailqueen said:

Have ridden 2 strokes since 1969 - Used virtually every lube that ever came down the pike. From Klotz to Belray to Maxima - to Motorex. Nothing - NOTHING comes close to Mobil 1 2T. There's an awful lot of marketing hype out there, even some fools who'd give-up protection for the sake of smell! :coocoo: - Do your own research. I used Belray for years because I just couldn't find anything that was quantifyably superior - until now. Cost isn't a factor in reference to the protection of my machine. The absolute WORST, most horrid product I've suffered through was bean oil...from ANY source. Perhaps for pro-level riders who keep their throttle pinned 98% of the time the motors running, ok. Even under those circumstances though, I'm not convinced that with the advent of superior synthetic technology there's any point to dealing with gummed-up powervalves and just overall goop unless some pinhead just has an unsatiable need to smell that stuff.

Over the years, I can't begin to tell you how many motors I've re-rung, re-bearinged, re-sleeved, re-nikasil'd etc. Bottom line remains the same - nothing is superior to Mobil1 and IF there IS an equal, it'll be another synthetic from a MAJOR producer with the means to do the research required to meet the epoch of this amazing evolutionary product. -- That being said - As others have mentioned. Premix type isn't going to bandage improper jetting. You wouldn't put a band-aid on your elbow for a sore on your knee would you?

Last edited:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
OldTimer said:
Any time I see a thread like this I have to chime in and rave about Mobile 1 Racing 2T. So I second what Chris said! :cool: :cool: (two thumbs up!)

+1 :cool:

and welcome to jetting your new KTM!

"rippinrol"

aka tippinroll
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 11, 2002
+1 also. Like BMEPdoc said, I also value the protection of my machine. I actually lowered my clip postion to give more fuel for that stage of throttle, heck might even have to put in a bigger jet, at full throttle it seems it wants more juice!
:cool:

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
IMO your bike may still smoke for a while after you change to the correct jetting due to the oil that has built up in your pipe and silencer packing.

I think that all 2 strokes smoke until they are fully warmed up.

beargun

Feb 15, 2007
Trailqueen, the Amsoil mixed at 50:1 in your KTM will work really great and Amsoil is quite a bit cheaper than the other brands .I had smoke problems with a 250EXC, changed it to 50:1 and went with a lighter breather oil and the smoke cleared up alot. Dirty breathers cause smoke too.

Top Bottom