motodirthead

~SPONSOR~
Jan 26, 2001
After getting totally soaked and frozen at this years Stoneyford WFO I have a question. What is the best rain gear combination such that one stays dry but doesn't sweat like crazy? Brands?

Thanks!

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
LOL...yep, I hear that. took my goggles off after a couple miles and basically was just cold and wet the entire race. well done race though, club did a great job and had a great time.

...sorry...now back to your thread :-)

can't offer any advice on rain gear..dont have any.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
First off, good water resistance doesn't come cheap. And if you want to be dry and warm, it costs even more. I've got a Fox jacket that is about the perfect weight for above-freezing temps. If I rode much when it's below freezing, I'd want to get something a little heavier with Gore-Tex. But for basic cold rain resistance, it works pretty good except the sleeves aren't waterproof. There's been several times where it's raining on the starting line and the water soaks through the sleeves and makes my arms cold. The jacket has some vents in the back and a few well-placed pockets...I've also used it on the ski slopes. A good jacket should last a long time, so keep that in mind when you see the prices for waterproof jackets.

TooBadBrad

Jan 31, 2003
Alex, I use a M/S gortex pak jak. It's just a shell but is usually plenty warm. Try this for your hands. glove liners, disposable latex gloves over those, then regular gloves. The latex dosen't always last the whole day, but your hands will stay warm untill they give out. You can also get those glove size chemical hand warmers skiers use.
I don't have any special rain pants, but I will use regular outdoor style rain ones if I know I'm going to be in the rain all day and not working hard enough to stay warm.
Hope this helps. Brad

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
I think Brad has the right idea. Just like in skiing, or other outdoor winter activities, it is best to layer in my opinion. I too use the MSR Gortex Pak-Jak. It is a pullover shell with the gortex lining. Under that I layer depending upon the expected conditions. For example, at the WFO enduro I used a silk skiing undershirt to wick moisture, a regular jersey, and a very light weight sweatshirt. The WFO had pretty regular rain with some snow and light hail mixed in for fun. For my lower body, I have gortex riding pants, but I used regular riding pants with bike shorts underneath. I have found that usually, if I am working pretty hard, I don't need the gortex pants. On play rides as well as dual sports where I'm not working so hard, I do use the gortex pants. For gloves I have MSR ColdPro's, but I didn't use them. I would go with what Brad recommended. I used regular gloves with a surgical latex glove inside. Although my hands were dry, they were very cold. In fact, when I stopped at check 10 I couldn't get my clutch hand to release to get started again. Next time I am going to use the kevelar liners as an insulator between the latex and my hand. I think this will do the trick.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Gore Tex outerwear (or some other breathable membrane product) is the hot ticket for motorcycles particularly off road where you are exercising. In most areas of the country you will get wetter on the inside of your jacket than from the rain if you do not have a breathable liner for the outer shell. Your getting wet is what makes you get hypothermia(sp)-cold in the wind. I am with some previous posts in that I like a gore tex shell and add my own layers of linings. You can invest in gore tex booties for your boots to use with your gore tex riding pants and jacket and just about be impervious to water.

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
I use a MSR ISDE Gore-Tex jacket over a solid cotton or 50/50 jersey (usually Fox or Thor) with my chest protector, if it's way below 0C I wear a turtleneck instead of a riding jersy. Thought about the pants, but thermal undies uner my 360's and Gore-Tex socks over wool socks under my Alpinestars have worked great, so I speant the money on studded tires. I also use grip heaters on my KDX, took off the lights after smashing the headlight in a HS, so the stock stator has plenty of juice. I use the same Fox pawtector gloves in the winter as I do in the summer. Sometimes I will use a Gore-tex liner, but I like the minimal restriction of movement that the regular glove provides. With large handguard spoilers and grip heaters, my hands are almost never cold.
I ride off-road in Western PA year round (as long as the snow isn't too deep), and I've found that this combination works great. If I put any more on my upper body, I sweat in the tight stuff and freeze in the faster sections. Personaly, I get too hot if I close my helmet vents, but some of my friends insist that closed vents keep them comfortable. Also, if the windchill is a major factor, or if the temp. is very cold, I will put on the neoprene face/ neck mask that I use for skiing. An anti-fog goggle lense is another good idea. Just remember: Keep dryand keep moveing and you will stay warm.
Best of luck,
-Nick

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
In the ski industry there is a saying: Cotton Kills. When it gets wet, it stays wet, drawing body heat away. Layer with synthetics. I use a fishnet type of polypro longjohns to wick moisture away from my skin and still provide air space for cooling when I work hard. Over that is a thin wool union suit and topped off with gore tex shell pants and pull over shirt that doesn't have a zipper. For gloves I use surgical gloves covered in baseball batting gloves to provide a waterproof but light layer of protection. I also spray my whole self down with anti persperant so I stay dry and don't sweat. This helps a lot in the gloves and the boots to stay dry.

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
now, i don't know nuttin' bout nuttin', but i've raced bicycles and xc skis for years and years, and when it's wet out, you're just gonna get wet. deal with it. gore-tex may be breathable for elderly volvo-driving hikers, but it might as well be impermeable if you're really sweating. heck, i get wet on a dry day, wearing clothes with holes in it.

here's what i do, adjust to fit:

1) buy a reasonably waterproof jacket and/or pants. buy the fancy gore-tex if it makes you feel better, but i have a closet full of leaky gore-tex jackets. i use a Stearns plastic jacket ($20 from costco, including pants).

2) Wear synthetic (or wool if you're desperate) long underwear, NOT cotton. in cold wet weather, i wear light polypro bottoms under my riding pants, polypro top, then fleece sweater, then rainjacket.

3) for god's sake, get heated grips. i don't have em on my ktm yet, but they're coming soon. the other choice is big thick gloves that keep you warm even when they're wet, but don't have much feel for the controls. i tried neoprene gloves, but the ones i used were too stiff and cramped up my hands. it wasn't that cold when i used them tho, so i might feel different if the other choice was having them go numb. jet-ski gloves might be the ticket. i've seen some that had a neoprene outer layer, but leather on the inside of the palm and fingers, so probably less work to close your hands around the bar. whatever you do, try it out for a day ride before the race.

4) pray for warmer, dryer weather on race day.

-mark
www.motosapiens.net

markari

Sep 30, 2002
Is it that nobody has heard about the Hebo SNS2 jacket that it is never mentioned? Or am I niave in thinking it is a very good riding jacket and nobody else likes them. Somebody help me understand this?

Top Bottom