Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
Im looking into buying aftermarket reeds for my stock reed cage, i have seen many kinds from fiberglass to carbonfiber, and then there are double staged ones with carbon fiber and fiberglass, what are the advantages of these and whos had expiriences with any of these ? i have a 00 YZ 125 and i want better throttle response....

SPR

Jun 19, 2003
As with most performance mods their is always a trade between power and reliability. Carbon fiber reeds will respond quicker giving you better response but can chip faster then fiber reeds especially in a 125. Some companies make thicker (more top end) and thinner reeds (more bottom end).

Personally I use a Boysen RAD valve (KX 250) with the 2 stage carbon fiber / fiber reeds and it works really well + reeds seem to last well too.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Usually the Carbon Fibers tend to be better for Mid/Top power and last longer at sustained high RPMs. I have also seen some Torque carbon fiber reeds lately also. The Carbon fiber is more expensive than the Dual Stage. The Dual Stage Fiberglass tend to be better for Low/Mid/All around. Usually the reed manufacturers can tell you best what the reed is good for.
I haven't had any problems with the simple boyeson power reeds (dual-stage) and they are only ~$25. Carbon fibers are ~$50

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
They are supposed to flutter a bit more and not last quite as long at extreme RPMs for extended periods of time. Besides that, they are great. If you are a top level rider and scream your bike constantly you might be able to tell a difference and may like the carbon fiber more. Otherwise, I would give the fiberglass a shot.

Top Bottom