2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Need some help from the "locals" (that's Spanish for Woodsy).. We are working on a 2006 Rites of Spring DS course and I want to run from Whiskey Creek to the Horseshoe loop, then over to White Cloud (the MCCCT, actually) and back around.
I have a route to Horseshoe, did that Sunday in the hail. Of course I'd like some input from those that run this section to see what else I could include. As it sits, we found a few excellent seasonal roads (one that you swear you are riding in a dude's field before plunging into a swamp) to get from our normal stomping grounds by Walkerville to Horseshoe. Neat two-tracks by Pines Point USFS campground (think that was the name). I should be all set once I get to the MCCCT, between it and the sled trails up to Bitely anyway and from there it's stuff we have been using over the years.
Anyway, what I need is a not-so boring way to get from Horseshoe to White Cloud. Reading the reports on here, it sounds that several of you do this on a routine basis and I'm assuming it's not all pavement pounding.
I must also give credit for this route's inspiration to you West siders (Woodsy in particular). After riding Holton/Horseshoe this past fall I thought it would be cool to include some of it in one of our routes (there is some requests to include more single track in our routes from some of the participants). Couple this with a desire to do an Old Time Trail Tour like they did back in 93 out of Whiskey Creek. That TT was when they rode the MCCCT to or from White Cloud and two-tracked it back to camp, like in the "old" days. The problem of using Horseshoe was I thought it was too far out of range (and didn't look into it). After reading Woodsy's report of stopping in Walkerville for fuel after a day of MCCCT + Bitely (and maybe Baldwin?) I realized it was feasible.
So, bottom line, is there a decent way to get from Horseshoe to White Cloud that doesn't include long straight stretches of pavement? We want winding, twisty, barely used forest roads (yeah, lots of them between there, sure).
Also, suggestions on what to hit around the Horseshoe loop. I've briefly recorded some of the more interesting new sections of trail and mixed it in with several forest roads to not wear the riders out. Should be able to make a map available later tonight showing what I have so far.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Hmmm this is an interesting topic. Gonna be interesting what you come up with.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
"After reading Woodsy's report of stopping in Walkerville for fuel after a day of MCCCT + Bitely (and maybe Baldwin?) I realized it was feasible.
So, bottom line, is there a decent way to get from Horseshoe to White Cloud"

Just who do you think your calling "bottom line" there Jeramy?? you REALLY hurt my feelings this time :(
I mean saying Woodsy is synonomous with being "local" (or maybe you meant "loco") was definitly a slice but come on, really, calling me bottom line aint gonnal get you much help :rotfl: :laugh: :nener:
Yea, I got some info that will help you out.. I will try to gather it tonight and post it tonight 2tracr.. Of course, the most exciting D/S for ANYONE would be to just let me lead and make everyone leave those GPS systems at home (you know that stands for "Go Park Somewhere - we are riding" according to Young Ted.. Of course GLS's are always welcome when I lead..... Available from the Master Of The Trail - only approved distributer of that particular system..

Hey Don, how comes you always come back with such sarcasim?? Sounds like you are due for an overnighter pal!
Woosdy :ride:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
2TrakR said:
You know what they say - you catch more flies with sh|t than with honey :boss:

And perhaps the most arcane expression of them all.. "It takes one to know one.." :nener:
Ok Jeramy – from the desk of ol’ Woodsy here ya go…
If you look at your routing that you did on Horseshoe you will find a small loop on the east side of the Horseshoe theater.. This little loop will be the furthest eastern section of the Horseshoe. Right above this loop will be Cleveland Rd. There are lots of 2tracs that lead to Cleveland. Get on Cleveland and follow it straight east, cross M-120 and come to Dickenson (first road to north). Turn North on Dickenson. Follow Dickenson – cross M-120/1 mile road (turn left here if gas is needed – 1 mile to station). After crossing M-120 on Dickenson, turn right on first road (Adams). Stay on Adams going east – becomes gravel – keep going thru “dogleg” and it will become Jefferson – stay east on Jefferson. Turn left on Green St. (corner of Green and Jefferson becomes pavement). Go to first intersection on Green and turn right – this is Monroe. Take Monroe east to first intersection turn left – this is Osborn – go to first intersection (3 Mile Rd.) and turn right. First intersection on 3 mile turn left (Warner), follow to next intersection turn right (Pingree) – road angles northeasterly and eventually comes to 4 Mile Road. Turn east on 4 mile. Follow 4 mile up and down big hills until you come to Baldwin Rd at bottom of big hill. Baldwin at the corner of 4 mile is paved to the south. Cross Baldwin going east on 4 mile and head into woods on 2 track. First connector will be marked as sled trail. Go either north on trail to get to MCCCT northbound to Benton Lake or go south on sled trail to hook up to South bound MCCCT back to White Cloud trailhead. MCCCT crosses in MANY places along this sled trail!! By the way, sled trail runs all the way up to Boon and beyond – great place to get lost!!!
As far as Horseshoe area, I wouldn’t let those sissy D/S’ers out of that area without them riding the first section of the trail going counter clockwise on the opposite side of the road of the Trail Head – make em bang some bars for a while. I would then head them over to the new section on the South end of the trail on the east side of 184th.. More tight stuff!!
So where do I get off calling those D/Sers “sissies?? Where do you get off calling me the Bottom Line??
See ya soon you rascally 2 tracker you!
Woodsy
Disclaimer, not responsable for anyone getting lost/maimed or shot at following my directions!!! :rotfl: NEED I SAY MORE???

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Woodsy - exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. I had something sort of close, but was going through Hesperia, then following similar but heading south by Osborn instead of north. Here's a map showing what I've documented so far.
http://www.gldsmc.org/public/RoS_2006_5-2-05.pdf
What we had done Sunday was head up into Hesperia and then road raged it back to camp to the north instead of heading east. I drew your suggestion in on this map too (thanks).
Not sure how you normally get to Walkerville, but there are a couple neat sections on the course we have laid out so far. With all of your travels, I'm sure it's already on your odometer's hit list, but you never know.

BTW - I'd never, as you know, insinuate anything relating to TBL and you; that phrase was just a razzin' nudge. All in good fun ;-)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
2TrakR said:
BTW - I'd never, as you know, insinuate anything relating to TBL and you; that phrase was just a razzin' nudge. All in good fun ;-)

COMPLETELY the way I took it - actually I was building my humor on something that I thought you may have inadvertently tossed out there.. My response was totally off the cuff 2trakR and NOTHING meant by it but fun and laughs!!!
If you need ANYTHING else in the way of directions you know who to ask - ANYTIME!! Oh yea, the offer to lead the troops into the obyss - I mean parts unknown always stands my friend - your job would be to get them to follow :rotfl:
Glad I could help! :cool:
Woodsy

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Hey Don, how comes you always come back with such sarcasim?? Sounds like you are due for an overnighter pal!

Me sarcasim!!!!.... Nooooo never...Not meeeee.....

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
If you follow Woodsy's directions to the letter, it's easy to see how he gets us lost. I know it is a typo that he put the 1 before the 20 on the Dickenson Rd. crossing, but I have to swing anytime I get a chance.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
INCA said:
If you follow Woodsy's directions to the letter, it's easy to see how he gets us lost. I know it is a typo that he put the 1 before the 20 on the Dickenson Rd. crossing, but I have to swing anytime I get a chance.

You rotten sucker Timer!! Leave it to you to find one little error that may have caused a little excitement in the normally boring lives of some D/Sers.. Gotta spoil it for everyone :moon:
That "little" oversight on my part was certainly by accident 2tracR! Now if I would have instructed you to follow Comstock to the North Young Ted would have had something to REALLY scream about!!
Go ahead Ted - tell him why and tell him what time of day you and I found out why and tell him about the nice tempurtures that we were riding in and how not to think because they are on bikes they can "squeeze" thru....
There, that will give you something IMPORTANT to ponder!!!
By the way, If you (Ted) dont respond soon I will explain it so Jeramy doesnt inadvertantly include that road section in his D/S ride somehow!!! Hows that smart guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fft:
Woodsy :ride:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Jeramey - What what's his name is yacking about is that Comstock is closed at the creek culvert. At least it was on 4/10. He suggested checking out why it was closed to through traffic and I'm the sheep. The backhoe was across the road from guard rail to guard rail. No big deal really as the detour simply goes west a mile. I had no idea I was spoiling someones fun.

Young Ted

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
YOung Ted has to learn to read between the lines and be a little more scientific about his conclusions.... For instance, how on earth can he spoil someones fun when he is the very basis of the fun in the first place. He would be spoiling himself.. Of course I suppose that is possible in his case as "spoiled" is synonomous with ROTTEN!!!

2tracR - Once again the Master of the Trail hit the nail on the head. The bridge on Comstock just above 10 mile road is OUT!! I was up there last Sunday and it is still not passable! Ted is right though - detour is only 3 miles out of the way..
Once again - hope this helps!
Scott

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
So if the bridge wasn't out, would that be a better road than Dickinson? Guess I'll see when I get over that way next..
Appreciate all your input!

As for missing bridges, or construction in general, that stuff doesn't phase us either. We've snuck around barricades (they're just suggestions anyhow), missing bridges, missing roads and the list goes on. Not that we'd ever do anything illegal or dangerous. Immoral maybe, but not illegal. ;-)
I liked one we did where they decided to take out a section of road to put in a new culvert or bridge (can't recall what they were going to put in). Luckily they had left us the foot bridge the crew was using to jump the crick with, which happened to fit the bikes just fine. Or so I heard.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Naww - stick with Dickenson - more scenic (more gravel).
Interesting you pointed out that squeezing by idea Jeramy.. You see, I had "Tedsickle" with me in the middle of the night and we he followed me pass the barracade on Comstock. Weaseled the bikes down to the bridge only to discover that the driver of the crane who had been working on the bridge and extended the arm PERFECTLY so you could NO WAY cross without climbing over the top of said rig.. I still think someone informed them that "Trouble" was in the area...

YZMAN - you wouldnt wanna try crossing that one - unless you have scuba gear and underwater outfitting for Skippy!! Especially not when the ambient temp is 23 degress :nener:

Ride on brothers!
Woodsy

Top Bottom