B

biglou

Sorry if any of this is covered, but I have been purposely staying away from this thread so as not to "jinx" anything!  We don't want a repeat of last year!  Looks like we are locked and loaded this year.  Anywho, here is my question:  According to mapquest, I would take I-70 west to Denver, then go north about 90 miles on I-25, and then take I-80 west into Reno.  My question is, I see that if I follow I-70 through Denver until it ends at I-15, there appears to be state hiways that run a more direct route into Reno.  Not sure of the numbers, I didn't get that far into mapquest.  Does anyone know the condition of these roads?  Are they rough, mountainous, dangerous in snow, etc.?  Would it be best to just play it safe and take interstate the entire way?

Also-Can someone link me to directions to where we are supposed to go once in Reno?  I know it's here somewhere, but like I said, I've been staying away from this forum on purpose!  We roll one week from tomorrow night!  Woohoo!

Thanks!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Lou,
I'm not sure what I-80 is like from Denver to SLC but I-70 is fine if there isn't a storm brewing. How many passes do you cross on I-80 between Denver/SLC vs I-70 between Denver/Utah boarder? I-70 across Utah to 191 to cut the corner from I-70 to SLC is an easy but very boring drive. SLC to Reno has a whole lot of nothing between SLC & Reno - Hwy 50 is more scenic but this time of year may be a problem with snow.

Can't really help with the Reno/hotel directions.

Hope that helps.....

Brian

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Lou,

I have done both 70/80 and 70/15/50. 70/80 is faster (by about 4-6 hours), but 70/15/50 is far more interesting. My suggestion would be do 70/80 to Reno, & then if you have a reason to leave a half day early go 50/15/70 home.

50 is refered to as "the lonliest highway", it has some very long streches of (imho) beautiful desert. There is also a phone booth out in the middle of nowhere.

As far as where to go in Reno, your on your own. I vaugly remember where Moonrocks is & that is where I am heading. ;)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
When I went to Moab in Oct '00 I took 50/15/70 Eastbound from Reno and 70/15-191/80 westbound. There was only about 30 mins difference in actual driving time according to my GPS. My truck is gearing limited for top speed so somebody else might make better time on 80 than I did. FJ is correct - Hwy 50 is a beautiful drive if you can enjoy it.

Brian

CSL

Oct 30, 2000
CJ and I have gone the past two years (from Denver) and 70/15/50 was quicker for us. When I get out in the big basins on Highway 50, I tend to get a REAL heavy foot, much moreso than on I-80 west of SLC.

B

biglou

I should probably mention that I don't speed too much. Out in the open, maybe 5-7 over, but that's it.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Okay - Okay I take back the time difference. 50 probably is faster.
When I originally responded I was looking at an old road tip time lists. The drive accross 80 was done on my 94 FZR 1000 when I "just wated to be home" & the trip I compared it to on 50 was done in a truck loaded with dirt bikes & I forgot that we stopped at Sand Mountian for 3 or so hours.
Looking at lists from other trips 50 seems faster by about 1 hour.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
FJ - I just re-read my post and it's a bit confusing. I-80 was faster by ~30 mins for me. My truck is spinning 2500 RPM at 84mph so I don't usually drive that fast - it's a Dodge Cummins DIESEL. I was getting passed like I was sitting still on I-80 while going 84 MPH. Kinda of like I5 thru the valley.....

Brian

Top Bottom