best solution to wash air filter

FLYIN_KAW

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 19, 2000
where can you buy the stuff, or is it readily available at local dealers?

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
got mine from rocky mt. ***. Most any parts unlimited dealer can get the stuff. The tun isn't necessary, but I think it's worth it. It as a sealing top and a tray on the bottom that keeps the filterfrom dowing down into the gunk that accumulates. I swear by the stuff.

2 B

Aug 31, 2000
air filter wash

hey guys, I have found that gojo orange pumice hand cleaner works real good.
I take a scoop out with my fingers and rub it into the filter and then squeeze the filter into
a ball then rinse with hot soapy
water and then clean water to completly rinse.Do this two or three times and then let filter air dry.
Its cheap and can be found at any auto parts
store.

02 cr 250

agent 86

Nov 4, 2001
Dirty Air

Place air filter in oven spray with easy off oven cleaner wash with warm soapy water .Dont forget to do the same to the air filter . The wife wont mind when ya go for a long dirty ride!
AND LOVING IT!

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
People say not to use gas, I do and have since I began riding.
Then use dishwashing soap and re-oil. I hope people don't just use gas, without washing with soap.
I use Silkolene air filter oil and love it!
Regards

Brandon Moss

Oct 24, 2001
washing filters

I just posted a question to the No Toil thread about this. I use Simple Green and it seems too good to be true. $12/gallon, non toxic, rinses out with soap and water, does not appear to harm the filterconstruction, available everywhere, WHAT's THE CATCH?

FloridaMX

Jun 20, 2001
where are you getting no-toil for $12 a gallon
I also heard you had to use no-toil's oil for the cleaner to work good
I use bel ray and I also use simple green and my opinion simple green doesn't do the job so I'm alos looking for a solution. I heard the twin air liquid dirt remover would work on any oil.

capt hookleg

May 30, 2001
What I found that works good is to go down to any hardware store, and buy a gallon of paint thinner in a plastic jug. DO NOT use laquer thinner as it will destroy your filter - the laquer thinner comes in a metal can. The paint thinner will break down the oil and grease and wash it out. Then use hot water and dish soap to finish the cleaning process.

Brandon Moss

Oct 24, 2001

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
What do you do with the paint thinner after it has become saturated with dirt and oil? The beauty behind the Simple Green is that is it Bio-Degradable as are other cleaners/degreasers. I have been using Purple Power, local auto parts store, with Bel-Ray, it gets the dirt out but not all of the oil. Sells for 5.95/gallon and is bio-degradable. I will have to try Simple Green.:o

ADS

Nov 21, 2001
I know this is ill-advised, but I prefer to use gasoline or kerosene. I pour a little into a drain pan (kerosene is first choice), then I wash and gently squeeze most of the solvent out of the filter, next I wash the rest of the solvent out with plenty (a whole lot) clean running water (the warmer, the better). That gets the filter pretty clean, but I also wash the filter again with Dawn and warm water and then I re-rinse the filter in plain water to get out all of the soap, squeeze out as much water as possible, then hang it in front of a fan to air dry. A lot of work but worth it.
Also never try to oil and use a filter that is not thoroughly dry.

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
Zep Big Orange absolutely rocks for cleaning air filters. No environmental issues, works far better than Simple Green. I use it in my parts washer as well. One dip in that stuff, a rinse under warm water, a squeeze and done. Cuts PJ1 like nothing. I've never tried No Toil simply because it's tough to get up here.

tonyr

Feb 15, 2000
My method is similar to others I seen posted here. I use mineral spirts, paint thinner to some. I buy three gallons and dump it into a five gallon bucket that I have the snap on lid for. I bend up a piece of heavy screen to make about a three inch shelf for in the bottom of the bucket. This keeps the filter out of the dirt that collects on the bottom of the bucket. I usually clean two or three filters at a time, so I let them soak in the mineral spirts about 5 min. Using rubber gloves I wring out the filters and then wash them with Dawn dishwashing soap. They come very clean. I use these 3 gallons for about a year, then take it to the same recycling place I take my oil to. I know, Your going to say a whole years worth of dirt in this bucket. But the mineral spirts only gets the oil out of the filter, the soap and water cleans them. If your not cleaning your filters with soap and water after you remove the oil, your not getting them clean. About $6 a year, not counting the soap and water.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Simple Green won't cut the PJ1 Super Tacky oil for me, nor will it cut the grease around the seal, so that's why I use Paint Thinner

Antman

Dec 17, 2001
I actually use diesel fuel. It is like kerosene, it does not harm your skin like gas, and it is cheap. After the diesel, I wash it in warm soapy water and squeeze out the water and let it dry overnight.;)

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Silkolene filter kit

kit includes one bucket of cleaner ( wire rack fits in bottom of bucket to keep filter out of dirt and sediment that settles to bottom) soak a few minutes and squeeze out cleaner. One bucket of filter oil, dunk and squeeze out excess. no fuss no muss even comes with several pairs of rubber gloves.
It doesn't get any easier.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…