Rev

Mar 6, 2001
I have a 00 KDX200 and by the end of the summer I will need new tires. I run mainly tight woods, 1st 2nd 3rd gear stuff but will get on a mx track at times. What do you think I should get? I rode a couple weekends ago after having my stock forks redone with all the race tech goodies. Bike handled great. Went to the same woods last weekend and rode, the woods was a little softer after some rain but not slick, my bike handled completly different. I thought that the back tire was going flat. rode back to the truck to check the air pressure and it was still at 14#. Cannt find any movement in the swingarm or the rear axle or the shock. I did not mess with the clickers in between the weekends. any ideas would be helpful.

NJ-DirtRdr

May 2, 2001
Rev, it's possible that you've lost some of that plush (spongy soft) feel when you tossed your stock front end. KDX's are renowned for their mushy stock springs--I had mine replaced and yes--the bike handled much better, but in the woods I lost that pillow soft feel at slow speeds. Keep riding though, and I'm sure you'll get used to it.
As far as tires go, I ride in tight east-coast woods with a lot of logs and slick stuff, but I run a Pirelli MT44 in the front (which did a lot to bring back the comfort level) and a Bridgestone M78 in the rear--which tracks real nice and is a very predictable slider. Good luck with it, and believe me, you'll develop an acquired taste for your new forks.
--Tim

JCV 220R

Oct 13, 1999
Rev,

As OLD-N-SLOW said, try 10 - 11 psi in your rear tire for the soft stuff,... I would suggest staying at 12 - 14 in the front - stock KDX rims are soft as microwaved butter.

With a Race Tech revalve you will lose a lot of your stock plushness. You will find that riding faster will make a huge difference over sharp edged hits and this shouldn't be a problem with you reworked suspension,... that's why you had it done right? :D

Did you do the re-valve yourself? If so, what stack did you go with? On my KDX I had much better results using a single stage stack than with the configuration RT recommended. If you don't get used to your new boingers I strongly suggest popping out the base valves and re-stacking with a straight ch7. When I did this my front end stuck like glue and, as long as I pushed it hard, it erased sharp hits and rock gardens with ease. In cruise mode though, the ride was quite rough :D

A set of Dunlop 756's would also make a huge difference in traction and handling. The Bridgestone M78 rear is ok for 2 or 3 rides,... once the knobs barely start to round off it handles like a slick ( I just took mine off my KTM last night after 3 rides). The 756 wears like iron compared to a Bridgestone. A lot of riders here use Michelin tires (m12 or s12 I'm not sure,... try a search) and swear by them

good luck

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
:cool: everytime this conversation comes up there are always 2 tires that get mentioned, michelin s-12 m-12, and the dunlop 756, im sold on the 756's like to run them front and rear outstanding traction from hard dry to sloppy mud, and they wear well also, had mine for a year and ride most every weekend, im just about ready for a new pair now, never had the michelins but i hear alot of good things about them too.

Rev

Mar 6, 2001
JCV,NJ,O-N-S,thanks for the info. No, I had the front forks done by a race tech shop, using their recommended setting.When I said I thought I was getting a flat, I thought the rear tire was going down, If it makes any diff? I will try lowering the air pressure in the tires. Also rebound and compression settings on the rear shock should they be set the same turns out, if not how to you determain how to set it. I have looked up some web sites. they say things like fast and slow terrian, is that speed wise or how Fast or slow the forks and shocks move?

eldrm

~SPONSOR~
Nov 3, 2000
just put 756's on my 95 kdx200,big difference on both ends! nasty new england mud,deep sand,rocky singletrack,they handled it all well,made me feel like i knew what i was doing!

Top Bottom