helio

Dec 19, 2001
I have some little points of rust and old grease in a chain in my garage...I need to put it as new, what to do ?

-Is it good idea to put it in brake oil or diesel and then wash it ?
-Should I remove before the rust(only some points of rust in the chain sides) with acid and then do the step above ?

Thanks for any idea.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
The wire brush is fine as long as it isn't an O-ring.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
My best luck with cleaning most parts for my bike that I need to let soak is Kerosene (overnight) not to mention cheaper than solvents that could break down your o-rings. The oil in the fluid will lube your chain and eat the rust off. It's safe and later you can use a tooth brush(Nice for o-rings) to take any dirt and debris off with out much mess like using old oil. This being it evaporates slower than WD40 and no worries about excess oil like using old motor oil. Besides, makes a good fire starting aid(Be safe and smart!) on those over nighters!

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
what if you took a 6-7 foot piece of PVC pipe, capped one end, filled it with kerosene and let the chain soak for a while, and as an added feature attach a palm sander (or similar device) to the tube and vibrated the tube and kerosene, kinda like ultra sonic cleaning....????? any thoughts on this :think: :think: :think:

motomad

May 26, 2002
Mackay,you've got a truly twisted mind :) Maybe you can attach to an old BSA 441 Victor. Why just knock it loose when you could vibrate the rust into a different time zone entirely.... And keep in mind,Guy;as we used to say in the E.R. "all bleeding eventually stops"

Top Bottom