Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I have a 94' Kawasaki 125 that I bought for really cheap. I have the bike apart all the way to the frame, and im going to repaint and repack/replace bearings and seals, basically restore it but not totaly, just make it a good running bike. So while I have the bike stripped to the frame (I am waiting for the $$$ for top end work), I decided I will paint the frame. It has normal wear (paint worn and rusty by foot pegs and above on frame, under the frame, small places like that. The rust isn't bad at all, most rust comes off easy with 200 grit sandpaper, except for small rust pits. But there is sooo many small rust spots in tight places that I can never get to. What is the cheapest way to tackle this job and get it ready for new paint??? I know sandblasting would be best, but I can not afford that.

What about POR or Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator?? I tried naval jelly and it would take years :nod: . I just dont want the rust coming back through the paint. I want it sealed and stopped, or removed. but FOR CHEAP!

digifox

May 25, 2006
Strip it down and repaint with a Good Paint.
& 5+ coats

*Get some Sand paper, Paint Stripper, Xylol or Prep-cleaner and GOOD paint*

Spray the frame with the stripper
Sand down all the Rust spot to CLEAN bare metal
Clean the Whole frame with whatever Non-Residue cleaner*i always use Xylol*
Then Take your time painting the frame.

I personally would go 2-3 coats primer,5+ coats Base then a sealer/clear coat

Something else would be Rhino Liner thats some good crap :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
The rust spots that you cant get to can be neutralized with a good rust neutralizer available at any good automotive paint store. Eastwood sells several good neutralizers and their rust encapsulator is a very good product.

Any rust left on the frame will quickly come through your paint. Take the time and spend the money to get it all off.

Just my $ .02

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Thanks guys, I just wanted everyones $.02's to get ideas on what i should do. I have worked on a lot of cars/trucks, and painted 2, so I have most stuff...including Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator tho the can is empty now. I was just checking to make sure what the best route to go for cheap was. I think I will either neutralize it, or use POR 15 (or maybe both), then a couple coats of paint with PJ1 kawi green. I have some left over bedliner so I will bedline the bottom of the frame, and the side by the foot pegs then more green paint over that.

mihm82

Apr 6, 2009
personally if i had access to it (which i don't) i would look into getting it sandblasted. i've seen some nice painted frames turn ugly because ALL of the rust wasn't taken care of. I know that eastwood's rust encapsulators work very well.

Top Bottom