94formy

Mar 13, 2006
I currently ride a rebuilt 93 CR 250 with a stock pipe and like it pretty well. I'm looking to get a newer bike and am in a battle between buying a 450 4 stroke or just getting a newer CR. I know of a real nice 2000 CR 250 with a pro circut pipe on it and the thing screams. I could prolly get a pretty good deal on it. What changed on the CR's from 2000 to now? Any advantages for any certin years? Thanks.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
I asked the same question before I bought my current bike. I couldnt afford a new bike, but wanted to get the best my money could buy. Many years ago when I used to race, I rode a CR125 and because of that, I was partial to Honda. I like 2-strokes so I decided on the CR250R. Now...what year to get? From what I have seen and heard...the 2001 had the best engine. In 2002 they went with the new RC valve and the engine was rated the worst in the 250 shootout, but the frame was redesigned and the suspension was updated. I decided to go with a 2003. The engine wasnt the best, but could be with some minor tunning. The rest of the bike is pretty much the same as the 2006 model so parts, etc. will be available for a long time to come. Hope that helps.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
SQUIRLEYMOFO said:
I think 2001 with revavled suspension. I love my 2003 even thou it still doesn't run like I would like.

You cant go wrong either way. Great motor in 2001 or new frame and suspension from 2002-2007. I love em no matter the year. Honda rules... :boss:

-a little over the top..huh? :coocoo:

ghost665

Nov 2, 2006
Didn't honda have a lot of problems with the first few years of the aluminium frame? I love the CRs up untill 1997. Easy to work on, strong steel frame, and fast as anything.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
ghost665 said:
Didn't honda have a lot of problems with the first few years of the aluminium frame? I love the CRs up untill 1997. Easy to work on, strong steel frame, and fast as anything.

I did hear a few things about the first generation frame flexing too much. That was one of the reasons I went with the 2003. Its the same frame they are using today. I just wish that it had the 2001 engine. Still runs good though. ;)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
RocketRaccoon said:
I did hear a few things about the first generation frame flexing too much. That was one of the reasons I went with the 2003. Its the same frame they are using today. I just wish that it had the 2001 engine. Still runs good though. ;)

the complaint was that the frame was too rigid. it was a personel preference thing, not a mechanical problem. i liked my '98. i'm of the belief that it is easier to bad mouth the bike than to admit that you can't ride.

the frame on the two-strokes is slightly different than the four-strokes but yes, it has remained the same since '02.

the 2000 you are looking at is an excellent bike. the 2000 was the last year of the keihin carb and didn't have the jetting issues that the '01 sometimes has. my preference would be anything from 2000 to present over the steel frame bikes and the '02 on up are much lighter feeling and handle a little better.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
mx547 said:
the complaint was that the frame was too rigid. it was a personel preference thing, not a mechanical problem. i liked my '98. i'm of the belief that it is easier to bad mouth the bike than to admit that you can't ride.

the frame on the two-strokes is slightly different than the four-strokes but yes, it has remained the same since '02.

the 2000 you are looking at is an excellent bike. the 2000 was the last year of the keihin carb and didn't have the jetting issues that the '01 sometimes has. my preference would be anything from 2000 to present over the steel frame bikes and the '02 on up are much lighter feeling and handle a little better.

Rigid....that could have been it. Seeing as how I dont come close to pushing the bike near its limit...doesnt matter much. Im sure any newer CR would be a good choice. Good luck with whatever bike you decide on. :cool:

crrod

Aug 14, 2006
my preference would be anything from 2000 to present over the steel frame bikes and the '02 on up are much lighter feeling and handle a little better.

02 lighter and handle better? Does this apply to the 125 models as well? Not doubting at all, the handling of my 99 CR125 is the reason I keep this bike, it is so light and nimble feeling, esepcially when it is compared to my KTM 300 MXC. Maybe I should get a CR250 and sort of settle some where in between.

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
Love my 2000. This will be my fourth season on it, and I've had no mechanical issues that weren't directly related to my poor maintaining of the bike.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
I agree the 02-current crs handling is improved over the 00-01, but imho the 01 has the motor down low vs the newer bikes. mid to upper mid you are better off with a newer model. From what i have heard the 04 may be the weakest on the bottom out of all of them. try finding a vet riders bike , lots of money thrown into those things and them old guys never have time to ride em.....(speaking from experience of course) ;)

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
i have an 02 cr250, the aluminum frame is definitly money but the motor wasnt the greatest. the jetting was very finicky until i got one of the JD jetting kits and now it rips like a bat outa hell. its still lacks in the low end compared to the 2001 but because i have a eline coil with the flywheel weight it makes up for it. i LOVE the aluminum frame. its so damn nimble

resslera

Oct 4, 2006
You are spot on CR125Freak. The querks were worked out after 99. The first generation aluminum frame ended in 99. The 2nd gen aluminum frame, what honda has now, started in 2000. The 2000 and 2001 are almost the same bike and from the research I have done are the prime years. Later model engines may not be up to par with the 00 and 01, but they can be made to run better. My 01, tuned to my altitude is a beast! Just got back into 2-strokes but I cannot believe how easy this things gets up and goes! The problem with this year group is that 02 and up use different plastics. My guess is that it will be harder to find plastics/accesories for the 00 and 01 since it is such a small range of years.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I absolutely loved my '02. Much better than my '99. I found the perfect solution for the "weak" motor was to get the 265cc overbore with Eric Gorr's Mo' Betta porting. The bike was flawless afterwards.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
resslera said:
You are spot on CR125Freak. The querks were worked out after 99. The first generation aluminum frame ended in 99. The 2nd gen aluminum frame, what honda has now, started in 2000. The 2000 and 2001 are almost the same bike and from the research I have done are the prime years. Later model engines may not be up to par with the 00 and 01, but they can be made to run better. My 01, tuned to my altitude is a beast! Just got back into 2-strokes but I cannot believe how easy this things gets up and goes! The problem with this year group is that 02 and up use different plastics. My guess is that it will be harder to find plastics/accesories for the 00 and 01 since it is such a small range of years.

Hey resslera...I think you are a little off on your facts. Its true that the second generation frame came out in 2000 and that most riders loved the engine on the 2001, but that isnt the frame that Honda is using now. In 2002 they came out with a 3rd generation frame and is still pretty much the same frame they use now.(minor tweaks in 2003,etc.). Thats why the plastics from 2002 and up wont fit the 2000-2001. Its a given that the engine was far better on the 2001 than later years, but the frame\suspension from later years is considered better than the 1997-2001 models. Its give and take either way. Personally...I think they are all great. I just wanted to make sure you had the correct info. :cool:

resslera

Oct 4, 2006
Thanks for the info RocketRacoon. Understand the frame differences. I was just talking in general mainly hitting home the first gen frame was the stiff one that some people didn't like. I'm with you, they are all great! I mean they are all Honda's right? ;)

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
resslera said:
Thanks for the info RocketRacoon. Understand the frame differences. I was just talking in general mainly hitting home the first gen frame was the stiff one that some people didn't like. I'm with you, they are all great! I mean they are all Honda's right? ;)

:cool:

Top Bottom