between yz 250f and a two stroke 125

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
I've heard its a world of difference. Almost no comparison as I would hope since it does have twice the cc's. I have never ridden a 250F I will tell you that. Most 125 aren't designed to have low-end anyway. Maybe someone else could help. What are you wanting to use the bike for?

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
You dont need the low-end all that much for Mx. Depending on how tight the trails are you might have some trouble. I have taken my 2001 CR125 on some pretty slow trails before (following my dad on a 4x4 quad) and have done just fine. I havent ridden any other 125 but mine so I cant say this for sure but everyone says that this bike is notorious for having no low end and no power compared to some of the other ones. If you can use the clutch and keep the revs up enough you can ride a 125 in trails no problem. I dont care what anyone else says. Yeah a 250F might be easier, but doesnt mean that you cant do it with a 125 either. I love my bike and wouldnt trade it for a thing. Ive head that some of the newer YZ125 have some good low-end compared to most other 125's. I guess it depends on which you want more two stroke or four, Mx or trails. Hope I could help.

dancrosbie

Dec 20, 2002
Thanks. My concern is that I'm big (200lbs.) and I don't know if I'm too big for a 125. Exactly how hard is it to ride a 125 on trails and up hills? I'm currently ride a Suzuki DRZ-250 and 400E so I'm used to tons of low end. I want to get into more MX but I still have to ride a lot of trails with my dad.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I'm around 190 and my '87 CR125 hauls me around just fine. You just gotta keep it in the power band for uphill stuff, when your on more flat ground, you can keep the rpms low and be just fine.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I'm about 180, my 125 has been a blast, both on the track as well as trails. The 125 will make you work, thus making you a better rider. The 250F is an incredible bike with great low end, power all around and a fantastic suspension. Either bike has its advantages both in MX and trails. Good luck & have fun.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I normally ride 125's and I this year I made the switch to the 250F Yes the 250F is an awesome bike but I want to add in this converstation is, if you like the free revving instant style throttle response on a 2 stroke forget the 250F you'll hate it. Even with the after market ignition on my 250F it still can't match a 2 strokes throttle response.

Where the 250F has the 125 beat is that its power band is wider, I'm directly comparing it with my '02 YZ 125 I have an '03 YZ250F. Other wise I feel that they are about equal in all other area's of performance literally. The 250F will have slightly better suspenion settings for your weight cause its sprung heavier but some of that is lost to the extra weight of the bike it's self. Some people try and play off that it's a plus that you don't need to premix anymore. Thats a laugh now, cause you'll be changing the oil in the 250F like every couple of rides and after about 6 oil changes you have to change the oil fliter I go threw motor oil now like I would of premix. You would be a good canidate for the 250F speaking size wise for your build. But its going to boil down to personal perference in riding style and how your want the motor to respond. If you want a light flickable quick repsonding bike that you can just throw around go for a 125. If you want very wider power band, but not quite as agile a bike and definetly not as flickable get the 250F. Personally I would get a 125 for now and say in another few years look at getting a 250F cause by then you'll have alot more choices for a 250F and I know for fact you won't be at a disadvantage on a 125 racing against 250F's. The 250F isn't the ulitamate bike people act like it is. I'm going to get a 200SX or a TM 125 MX next year to replace the 250f.

Top Bottom