SPAZTIK

Sep 10, 2001
How biased are the bike reviews in mags? I read a review on the '02 CR125 in Motocross action mag saying the engine did not improve from previous years and did not have any bottom end. Later I saw the Honda Profile with Johnny O. about thr CR125 on the ESPN2 mx race from Binghampton 9-9-01 and the Honda rep said that the CR125 had a lot of bottom and top end. With these two conflicting reviews, who do you believe before throwing 5 grand down on the counter?? Or do I change colors?? :(

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
The good news is one of the other mags (MXRacer??) said the new CR125 RIPPED, and had a much improved motor.

Ha. Did you see the b.s. in MXA--the combined kiss-ass review of the YZ125 and YZ250? They're claiming the YZ is the strongest stock 125 they've ever ridden, and had nothing but praise (some reservation about the susp.) for the 250. :silly:

These guys are such idiots, that they don't even realize how OBVIOUS their bias is. How discrete! It's getting to the point where it's laughable. Okay, okay, it's been laughable for a long time.

Unfortunately, I'm so damn addicted to MX stuff, that when I run out of good mags to read, I often turn to newstand issues of MXA. :(

Shame on me! :o

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I'm absolutely shocked that a company rep would praise his own product. There wouldn't be any bias there, would there?:think :silly:

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
As far as MXA is concerned, Yamaha could put a 250F engine on a tricycle and they would still rave about it. From what I've read in Dirt Rider and TWMX, the new Honda is vastly improved. The most consistant complaint is the numberplates are tight for 8 inchers.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by SPAZTIK
I saw the Honda Profile with Johnny O. about thr CR125 . . . and the Honda rep said that the CR125 had a lot of bottom and top end.
Like Vic says.:silly:

Also, Johnny O' has his nose so far up the Leprechaun's, well, you get the picture, that he's gonna say all sorts of wonderful things about Honda now.

I feel another flame coming on . . . :think

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I always enjoy the fact that when any new bike comes out, every mag touts it as though it's the second comming. Then several months later, when the bike is in public hands and the aftermarket stuff starts appearing you see statements like "the XYZ Performance pipe eliminates the pitifully weak top end" or some new suspension kit to fix the "horrible bottomming problem common to this bike".:think

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Riders of their new steeds are just as bad:
start of season-bike is THE best thing ever
middle of season-bike has to go to tuners for minor mods+various small gripes about bikes shortcomings
end of season-bike was worst thing ever and will not be buying that brand ever again-at least until MXA says the new model is the dogs gonads.
Its like when you ask a rider about his new bike you are questioning his labido.:D

Miltonyz

Sponsoring Member
Apr 12, 2001
I watched the same segment and was real curious since I read/heard or something to that effect that the 02 motor on the 125 was less then stellar.
So I listened real carefully when O'Mara was discussing the bike. He was bragging about the supension the handling everything but I don't recall him ever talking about the motor. I do remember the tech guy bragging about it but maybe O'Mara didn't want to say anything bad about the bike so he omitted the motor? Then again maybe I just missed it but just my .02

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Also, Johnny O' has his nose so far up the Leprechaun's, well, you get the picture, that he's gonna say all sorts of wonderful things about Honda now.

Johnny O': "Hey, this ain't so magically delicious. ...And what are these? Your (2) Lucky Charms?"

Okay. LAME. I know. :o

he,he :p

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
The mags always say the bike is good. Who do you think pays for the advertising? Be silly to bash your bread and butter. As far as Johnny O, It's no secret that he's in tight with Honda, Heck he delivered Ricky didn't he. Did you notice the number on the bike? 4. In that matter, Notice the number on the CR450F in the cyclenews test. Bet you can't guess it! Anyways, I ride em and make my own decision.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Re: Re: Biased Bike Reviews

Originally posted by Darby O'Gill

Like Vic says.:silly:

I feel another flame coming on . . . :think

Hold the cynicism for just a sec.- isn't it at all possible that Johnny is an honest person,and that'shis honest review? I dunno, I just don't like convicting people like that before I know them. I like to give most the benefit of the doubt. Then if they burn me, that's it. But come on- what if the bike really is that great, and the guy wanted to praise it? Now how am I supposed to know, now that you guys cast this shadow of doubt.

Me? I'm an honest person. I sell insurance for a living. It's not easy to overcome the stereotypes, but I have. First of all- I don't cold call. I get all of my business from referrals- as in people call me after being referred by friends/family/associates. I tell people if what they already have is better than what I've got. I lose a lot of business doing that. But at least I can sleep at night.

The guys at MXA have, though I don't recall the details, deserved much of the flaming here on DRN. Yeah, I know, he'd be stupid to bite the hand that feeds him. But Johnny needed a Devil's advocate. Maybe ESPN2 needs to be slapped for not getting an impartial opinion.

There. Boy, the view sure is good from atop the soapbox. :cool:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Darby O'Gill, eh? :cool:

Thanks, zio, I needed a laugh this week.

A little humor goes a long ways.:)

Now, excuse me while I chase down that puka while looking for King Brian and his pot o' gold. Watch out for the Banshee! :eek:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
good. I had to stretch for the rest of the post, it was just a reason to quote ya. Have a good one, pal.:)

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
The new dirt rider has reviews of the 2002 cr125 and yz125. in the honda review they brag about how one click on the forks will make the bike handle different and how tunable it is. In the yamaha review they complain about how the clickers on the yamaha do the same thing.

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
In the yamaha review they complain about how the clickers on the yamaha do the same thing.
But, if I'm not mistaken, they later said that it is mostly the stiffness of the new frame that causes the problem. Or maybe that was the 250.

jake949

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2000
the problem is that there is 5 major colors to chose from so no matter who wins what shootout there is allways going to be 4 out of 5 that are mad because there bike did not win the shoot out. Yes I ride a Yamaha but i would have taken a KTM or a Honda but there prices where much higher. In my local area the DUNE GOONES swear by Honda's just like people with mullets swear by Chevy's. It just happens that one of the mags writers like blue bikes and there is nothing wrong with that because every one is allowed to there own thoughts on the subject just like we are. Maybe they should just let the honor of being a shoot out winner just be a 5 year cycle. with the mags picking a new winner every year so that they don't make any one mad.

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
All my friends that start out in this sport get concerned over whether they are getting the right bike. I always tell them any bike made in the last 10 years in good condition will be plenty to get started on. If you just get a bike, any bike, and get enough hours on the saddle you will be used to all the quirks and that'll be the bike for you. I personaly only buy hondas and yamahas because my local Kaw/Suz shop sucks. and we dont have a KTM dealer yet.

Last edited:

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Now, excuse me while I chase down that puka while looking for King Brian and his pot o' gold. Watch out for the Banshee!

Right, XRpredator. But just remember: "Three wishes I'll grant ye, great or small. But wish one more, and you lose them all." :)

By the way: I'd like to know exactly how a magazine editor can tell that a bike's stiffness comes from the frame and not the suspension. Honda's aluminum frames have gotten that rap for years, but I've heard some pretty smart guys say that the problem has really just been the suspension. I don't think you can tell whether it's the frame or the suspension just by seat of the pants. Heck, all I can tell is, "Hey, that rock (root, rut, bump, etc.) just about broke my tailbone. I don't know what it is, but something's way too stiff." My posterior isn't as educated as a magazine editor's, I guess.:p

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
I have to roll my eyes when the individual rider comments come out on that one in the rags. kinda like, test rider joe blow - 1st year novice. "I really didn't like the stiffness of the honda frame it made the bike...." Like a novice would be so in touch with the bike notice such things. I imagine that the next line out of his mouth was "Hey did you guys see me nail that 20' double, I only came up 10' short!"

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
I think to get a fairly unbiased opinion on bikes, Racer X should hire Ping as a test rider, and let him go to town with his own personal sometimes controversial, but always honest opinion. I like the guy he seems to tell it like it is.

Top Bottom