BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Has anyone tried the Michelin Bib Mousse foam core instead of a standard tire tube? I have seen a similar product offered by Moose.
I'm wondering how these "foam inserts" would perform.
Also what's the best front tire as far as self cleaning mud? I'm getting sick of the stock tire balling up into a 50lb. ball bearing.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
The foam inserts are pretty expensive, and I've been told that they are only good for about a season. They tend to loose their "hardness" after a year or so of riding. Also, lots of dealers don't like putting them in as they are a PITA. However, YMMV.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
Foam inserts are good for what they are intended for. Getting you through a race without the possibility of a flat. They are expensive, wear quickly because of heat and take some muscle to mount. I run Bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes in PA rocks and haven't gotten a flat yet.

If you absolutely cannot afford a flat, then foam is the way to go, otherwise ultra heavy duty tubes work well.

Scott Summers Racing (I think that's who it is) is working on the next new thing. Many individual inflateable air balls instead of a tube. You flatten one or a few and you still have an inflated tire. The first prototype used tennis balls. I just went looking for a link, but came up empty. Maybe I dreamt it.

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
The ball thing seems to make sense. I wonder if it will catch on? Maybe I will dig around the baja guys or the ISDE guys.

Top Bottom