Big Bear (Big Pine) Camping.

Well, I got to telling tall tales of how I spanked everyone in BB last weekend, and now the wife wants to go. (And I've got to conquer MS Trial) My question is, did any of you pull a camp trailer in there? Can you park it in Big Pine? Do you need reservations? (I just drove up for the day.)

We've got a 18" toybox and would like to take it slow and stay a couple nights. Is there a better spot?

Anyhow, we're thinking of going Aug. 17-19. Anyone would be welcome to meet us there. My wife is going to be trying out her new YZ, so I don't think she'll be up for any gnarly, rocky rides or hillclimbs, seeing she's coming off a very portly four-stroke. Some nice smooth fireroads would be just the ticket. :)

mtngoat

Lifetime Sponsor
Hi William,

Didin't get to yack with you last weekend, sorry.

Big Pine is first-come first serve. You fill out an envelope and insert csah ($12.00??). A few trailered their campers/motorhomes in last weekend.

Crab Flats is a better spot (more centrally located to green trails) where you can reserve at http://www.reserveusa.com. Shorter drive from Redlands too. I'll try to hook up wherever you end up.

Cool! Thanks so much mtngoat. Where can I get my hand on one of those maps sgr scanned in last week?

I'll check Crab Flats first...

mtngoat

Lifetime Sponsor
Hey Bob, the fireroad in from Green Valley is pretty good and cut for large equipment access. Should be fine.

Thanks everyone. So.....When is the next DRN Big Bear ride? Larry showed me the pictures and I want, no NEED, to ride someplace other than the Desert. :scream:

I may be able to make the August 17-19 ride with the family.

Bob

Last edited:

mtngoat

Lifetime Sponsor
Sounds like 8/17 has been instigated by William for a mini-ride. I think john and Larry are good too.

Originally posted by mtngoat
Sounds like 8/17 has been instigated by William for a mini-ride. I think john and Larry are good too.
I would especially like for any women riders to drop by (sgr?), as my wife would do well with the encouragement.

Originally posted by *william*
I would especially like for any women riders to drop by (sgr?), as my wife would do well with the encouragement.
Dang! If Big Bear wasn't so far I would love to "drop by". Make sure to bring your wife if you ever make it to Kennedy Meadows to ride with us sometime. :) How long has your wife been riding?

I was gonna drop your name Speedy but I knew you weren't as close. But by all means drop by. For some reason I thought sgr lived around here (?). :think

Anyway, my wife has been riding only a year, but did really well right off. She just had a baby and is dying to go after a 9 month hiatus. We just sold her lead sled (TTR225) and got her a YZ. It was beating her up and wearing her out (the weight and lame suspension). Of course I'm a bit worried that the four-stroke spoiled her, but I've already thrown some money at the YZ to make it a bottom-to-mid bike, and I'll see how it works out the next few weeks. :cool:

sgr

Lifetime Sponsor
Originally posted by *william*

Of course I'm a bit worried that the four-stroke spoiled her
I live in O'side, not too far and look forward to riding up there again, but what do you mean about being "spoiled by a four stroke???? :think :p :p ;)

Hi All
Hey - all you guys ride up there on the weekends, anybody game for a Tuesday or Wednesday mid week adventure ??? I have those days off and ride up there now and again. I usually stage out of Pinnacles and end up at Crab Flats, but am game for anything.
I ride a KTM 440exc and also have a KDX 220.

Let me know!
Steve
PS - There is no one there during the week - Man is it good!:)

DesertBob -- there's four of us within 6 miles of you, who all ride BigBear. This should be easy to do.

p.s. You said family -- does that mean wife? kids? what ages?