*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Well, I got to telling tall tales of how I spanked everyone in BB last weekend, and now the wife wants to go. (And I've got to conquer MS Trial) My question is, did any of you pull a camp trailer in there? Can you park it in Big Pine? Do you need reservations? (I just drove up for the day.)

We've got a 18" toybox and would like to take it slow and stay a couple nights. Is there a better spot?

Anyhow, we're thinking of going Aug. 17-19. Anyone would be welcome to meet us there. My wife is going to be trying out her new YZ, so I don't think she'll be up for any gnarly, rocky rides or hillclimbs, seeing she's coming off a very portly four-stroke. Some nice smooth fireroads would be just the ticket. :)

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Hi William,

Didin't get to yack with you last weekend, sorry.

Big Pine is first-come first serve. You fill out an envelope and insert csah ($12.00??). A few trailered their campers/motorhomes in last weekend.

Crab Flats is a better spot (more centrally located to green trails) where you can reserve at http://www.reserveusa.com. Shorter drive from Redlands too. I'll try to hook up wherever you end up.

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Cool! Thanks so much mtngoat. Where can I get my hand on one of those maps sgr scanned in last week?

I'll check Crab Flats first...

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Hey Bob, the fireroad in from Green Valley is pretty good and cut for large equipment access. Should be fine.

Desertbob

Mar 1, 2000
Thanks everyone. So.....When is the next DRN Big Bear ride? Larry showed me the pictures and I want, no NEED, to ride someplace other than the Desert. :scream:

I may be able to make the August 17-19 ride with the family.

Bob

Last edited:

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by mtngoat
Sounds like 8/17 has been instigated by William for a mini-ride. I think john and Larry are good too.

I would especially like for any women riders to drop by (sgr?), as my wife would do well with the encouragement.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by *william*
I would especially like for any women riders to drop by (sgr?), as my wife would do well with the encouragement.

Dang! If Big Bear wasn't so far I would love to "drop by". Make sure to bring your wife if you ever make it to Kennedy Meadows to ride with us sometime. :) How long has your wife been riding?

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
I was gonna drop your name Speedy but I knew you weren't as close. But by all means drop by. For some reason I thought sgr lived around here (?). :think

Anyway, my wife has been riding only a year, but did really well right off. She just had a baby and is dying to go after a 9 month hiatus. We just sold her lead sled (TTR225) and got her a YZ. It was beating her up and wearing her out (the weight and lame suspension). Of course I'm a bit worried that the four-stroke spoiled her, but I've already thrown some money at the YZ to make it a bottom-to-mid bike, and I'll see how it works out the next few weeks. :cool:

sgr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 14, 2000
SoCal
Originally posted by *william*

Of course I'm a bit worried that the four-stroke spoiled her

I live in O'side, not too far and look forward to riding up there again, but what do you mean about being "spoiled by a four stroke???? :think :p :p ;)

kwakvgr

Jul 20, 2000
Hi All
Hey - all you guys ride up there on the weekends, anybody game for a Tuesday or Wednesday mid week adventure ??? I have those days off and ride up there now and again. I usually stage out of Pinnacles and end up at Crab Flats, but am game for anything.
I ride a KTM 440exc and also have a KDX 220.

Let me know!
Steve
PS - There is no one there during the week - Man is it good!:)

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
DesertBob -- there's four of us within 6 miles of you, who all ride BigBear. This should be easy to do.

p.s. You said family -- does that mean wife? kids? what ages?

Desertbob

Mar 1, 2000
Hi Long Time,

Great. I have never ridden in Big Bear. Mtngoat, John and Larry have been trying to get me up there to reward me for showing them some places to ride in the desert. Do you guys also ride in the Desert in the fall/winter/spring? I know of some fun places to ride out in Johnson Valley when Big Bear is closed due to snow. Family is wife (does not ride - yet!) and 2 girls - 9 & 11 who share a PW80.

Desert Bob

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
That could be great. Big Bear for the big boys, desert for the kids. (I have 5 and 9 year old boys. Currently share an XR50 - looking for something a little bigger for the older one now).

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Kwak, wish I could ride mid-week, but gotta work. Have on occasion done a mid-week ride and I know what you mean;)

Next ride might be a good one for the kids too. I've been meaning to set one up. There's a great single-track next to Crab Flats, very suitable and challenging for kids. I know John's been wanting to bring Matt (xr70) up for a ride and Dale's got two that ride.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Kwak, wish I could ride mid-week, but gotta work. Have on occasion done a mid-week ride and I know what you mean;) Maybe we can catch you on weekend.

Next ride might be a good one for the kids too. I've been meaning to set one up. There's a great single-track next to Crab Flats, very suitable and challenging for kids. I know John's been wanting to bring Matt (xr70) up for a ride and Dale's got two that ride.

Top Bottom