mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Here we go again.

Dale and April (B3CB) have graciously agreed to host the staging point at the Wedge Ranch again. Planning for a 10:00 am departure. I'll be there at 8:00 am to help with a few valve and supension adjustments.

I'll post directions to the Wedge Ranch soon. Here's a link to the trail map:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tonyc/jeep2/bigbearmap1.jpg

Here's the current ride plan:

From the right side of the map, we'll be entering the forest on 3N16. Due to popular demand, we'll take 3N02 to 3N10 (yellow highlighted, John Bull uphill!!) and back onto 3N16. Optionally, riders can stay on 3N16, bypassing John Bull.

From the 3N10/3N16 junction, we'll proceed west to 3N89, south to 3N08 and onto 3N93 (the Holcomb Creek Trail, beautiful). Out of 3N93, we go west to Crab Flats and take 3N34 to Deep Creek, our turn-around point (no necessary water crossing here this time, but feel free to try). I estimate the round-trip distance at 55-60 miles. Depending on feedback and riders staging at Crab Flats, we may be able to arrange gas at Crab Flats, if needed.

Some parts of the ride are on "street-legal" fireroads. I'll check with our local club to determine if Forestry will consider "club ride/ green sticker leniency" and post back. As with our last ride, if anyone's interested in staging at Crab Flats (green sticker safe) for the last leg of the ride, let me know.

The Wedges are planning to have drinks and sandwiches at the end of the ride, like last time. Just need to get them a rider-count.

More details to follow...

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Deep Creek

I've been through the Deep Creek crossing a few times (almost dumped it once), but I haven't gone through the boulder garden on the other side, because it seemed possible to bend a disk or worse if I messed up there. It's a good place to watch the four wheel drive guys show off, though.

It's kind of early to know what my schedule will be, but it sounds interesting.:)

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
Help an ingnorant one

I live within riding distance to Cali, but I don't know what I'd need to come out and play. I'll be riding my 98 RMX and my buddy his 94 YZ250. Will the state of California let us in if we are registered in AZ? I would really like to come out and see Big Bear in the rough.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Re: Deep Creek

Originally posted by holeshot
I've been through the Deep Creek crossing a few times (almost dumped it once), but I haven't gone through the boulder garden on the other side, because it seemed possible to bend a disk or worse if I messed up there. It's a good place to watch the four wheel drive guys show off, though.

That's "Ballbuster". "John Bull" -- the subject of this ride, is worse. :cool:

(I've done the former -- never tried the latter -- yet).

sgr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 14, 2000
SoCal
Count me in, especially if there is an alternate trail for John Bull.

I'll probably come up to Big Bear on Friday the 13th :eek: and do a little mtn biking. Any suggestions on where to stay, or ride? I usually ride at the ski area, and I have never stayed overnight.

P.S. I'll get my bike some water wings :p

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Dirteater, I'll check into the out of state bike issue. My Dad lives in Yuma and its about a 3.5 hour drive to Big Bear. You can take a short cut out of Palm Springs up the back way to Big Bear. I'll post the highway when I look it up.

LT, all looking forward to seeing you again. we're running a pool on whether you emerge un-scathed:p

sgr, great! I e-mailed Ron Griffo (prez, BB trail riders club, you met at Deep Creek) to see if they will "sanction" the ride or secure some leniency on green stickers. In any event, Yvo will lead the bypass route (he has a severe psychological problem with John Bull:scream: ). Also, Mary Jo and I would be happy to put you up at our "cabin" Friday night. We have a very unusual geodesic dome, that's worth seeing. Best mountain bike riding is the south ridge behind snow summit. Unofficiially, mountain bikers tend to have the south ridge and dirtbikers get the northern mountains. On the map, 2N10 is a beautiful ride with north and south views. I'm not sure if you can access 2N10 off the lift at Snow Summit, but they should be able to let you know.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
You can most likely count me and TTRGuy in!! I've been wanting to ride up there ever since I rode at Kennedy Meadows over Memorial Day weekend. I think I'm getting to like trees! :) Hopefully I will have some modifications done to my bike by then so I don't wear myself out so quickly this time. 125mx bike in the woods=very worn out Aimee!! :eek:
Will need to camp, any recommendations or websites I can check out?

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Great gospeed!

You're welcome to stay at our cabin. First come...

On the map, here's three camping options:

Serrano - on the north shore of the lake is a large campground with facilities, very nice with lake and mountain views, but no trail access for dirt bikes.

Big Pine - northwest of the lake at the 3N14/3N16 junction is a "deep woods" camp ground with facilities and in a green sticker area. It's about a six mile drive on a maintained fireroad and close to our route.

Crab Flats - in the bottom left corner of the map at the 3N16/3N34 junction is another deep woods campground with facilities. It's a three mile drive on fireroads north of Green Valley, but this a quite a ways from our staging area, but on our route. Also, in a green sticker area.

Finally, around the corner from the Wedge Ranch is a 2.5 acre lot I own, which borders the National Forest. No facilities except for a picnic table, hammock and my tractor.

Public campsite reservations must be made well in advance during the summer. Reservation number is (877)444-6777 or visit www.reserveusa.com

More info on campsites: (909)337-2444 (nice Forestry staff)

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Sticker and out-of-state

There seems to be some confusion surrounding stickers with the Forestry. Kali had tipped me off to a possibility red-sticker restrictions may be gone for some areas. I'm checking into it and will post, but historically, Big Bear has been closed to red sticker after March or so.

Dirteater, I was told by Forestry that out of state riders need to get a temporary sticker and I'm trying to confirm and determine where they can be had. Will post back...

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I believe you are req'd to obtain a Non-Resident CA OHV permit IF your bike IS NOT registered in your home state. I worked & rode with a guy that was on temp assignment from PHX - at Hungry Valley/Gorman it wasn't a problem since his bike was registered in AZ. License plate was zip-tied to the back of his chest protector.

Brian

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
They checked for registration at Kennedy Meadows. TTRGuy doesn't have one but his plates were Oklahoma and they checked his drivers license, also Oklahoma and they said fine. I was surprised because I thought you had to obtain an out of state reg sticker which is not hard to get.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Stickers and Out of Sate

Just picked up a voice mail from the Forestry. They say that the local Rangers consider out-of state OK if you bring a registration form or anything proving out of state registration. Also, that red sticker is OK. I was very surprised with that and saved the voice mail. I'll try for more confirmation.

RM, great! I'll post as soon as I get word from the local club or Forestry. ANother option is to stage at a "green" campground like last time, along our planned route. Best case, I'll get good news from the local club. On several sanctioned enduros, I've seen red sticker bikes riding on the street of Big Bear! The local Forestry, Sheriffs and CHP seem to get the word and let it go. But, I want to be as sure as possible to minimize risk for our riders.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Mtngoat- Great news hopefully it works out if not I will meet you at the staging area.

Also.... Thanks for all the effort of putting this together.

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
Hey all thanks for all the trouble. I have my plate and I have my registration. One of the nice gentleman at one of the riding shops at buttercup sand dunes was kind enough to sell me a registration sticker on my first trip out to the dunes. It happens to be green. All of that shoud be great.
I should be able to make it. All things go well. I am ready for a change of sceanery.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Dirteater -- good that you're coming, cause we're gonna need someone from Yuma to convince us that it's not all that hot or all that dusty :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
mtngoat.

Ol'89r + 2.:)

On the pool for LT,,, I will bring the duct tape.;) BOOWAAAHAHAHAHA!

Ol'you know who.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
I've always wanted to ride in the Big Bear area. I am going to try and talk the wife into spending the weekend up there, big pine probably. Our anniversary is on the 15th so I'm not sure if she will go for it but she does like Big Bear so that should work to my advantage. ;) If she doesn't want to stay the weekend I still may come up just for the day. I'll let you know what I work out. Also if we stay the weekend I have a buddy that is thinking of making the trip as well.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
If this is an open invitation then Captain Jack and I are in ... talked about it today and it would be terrific ... neither of us have ever been there.

So - can we crash the party ? :silly:

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Of course

Eel -- it's Mtn.Goat's -- and Dale and April's -- gig, but I think it's safe to say: of course you guys are in. Just quit using the word "crash" since we're talking about John Bull, okay? :scream: And hope you learn not the lesson of the strength of the duct tape :scream: :scream:

sgr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 14, 2000
SoCal
Originally posted by mtngoat

sgr,
Also, Mary Jo and I would be happy to put you up at our "cabin" Friday night. We have a very unusual geodesic dome, that's worth seeing

Great gospeed!

You're welcome to stay at our cabin. First come...

:cool: Cool, sounds like a slumber party. :)

Thanks for the offer, if there is stll room I would like to take you up on it. Does Mary Jo ride?

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Longtime - why don't you tell us about "John Bull" ?
You know ... build up the drama a bit ...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom