dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Has anyone been to Big Bear lately? Some friends invited me to ride up around Ridgecrest, but that’s a bit far for a one day ride. It’s at least 8 hrs total drive time from my area, so I may have to pass Saturday. So I was thinking Big Bear or the Cajon Pass USFS (ridge trails). Are the trails open at Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead? I was told that the Pinnacles staging area is closed till June due to snow/rain. Where else is it good to stage east of Pinnacles that’s open. What Fawnskin and the campgrounds up the dirt road off to the NW? Any single track stuff out there and is it easy to avoid getting lost? I know there’s a single track running form Hanna Flat campground (?) down to Fawnskin area. I don’t know if that’s open to OHV or just MTB’s.

If not Big Bear then maybe the Cajon Pass Ridge or out in Anza at the San Jacinto SBNF area.

Thanks for any input.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
I usually end up around there. Last few rides at Hodge Rd area. I was just in the mood for some woods stuff. With the VCMC coming up (hope to make that one), I though some woods riding would be a good test for my bike. I have only had the YZ (running) for a few rides and I’d like to figure out my gearing and all. Just thought some woods type trails would be ideal to determine if I need to swap to a 51 or 52 for tight stuff. Don’t get me wrong, there are some tight and rocky goat trails up off the 15, but I was looking closer to home. I started looking to ride the tight stuff at Wildomar, but the ranger said it may not open this weekend due to all the rains. So I next thought of Anza or Cajon Pass/Silverwood, but if I went that far Big Bear would have to be better.

I’ve got to drop my son off for his school band by 6:45am, so I’ll get an early start and may just end up at Stoddard or there about. Just was thinking a change in locals though.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Dingoe, if I wasnt heading to Vegas this weekend Id head out with you riding. I definately understand the wanting to ride the tree lines stuff for a while. You can always ride the Ridge although that is mainly pucker bushes rather than any trees

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
I know what you mean about the Ridge pucker bushes. My last ride up there on my Husqvarna was just that. I found what I thought was a single track and ended up over the side in so much brush that I couldn't move. I thought I had found a trail that Kiwi took us on back in winter 04 (blew out my right knee on that ride), but I was wrong. I was deep and stuck. Ended up getting off the bike and breaking/fighting my way out on foot and then backtracking to get the bike out. I should have stopped when I first started in and worked my way back up the side to the ridge, but thinking the trail would open up I pushed on and that was a mistake.

Have a good time in Vegas.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom