mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Snow's melted, water's running, dirt's tacky, sun's shining, tree's blooming, bird's singing, bear's pooping...
Big Bear's finally thawed. Rode Holcomb and Deep Creek trails and it's magnificent!
Life's wonderful.
Now, check "Land Closures" posts to help us keep it open.
Thanks.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Practically "green only", since red is only available during winter months, when you can't ride most of it. Although, we rode through January this year.

Also, they've separated many green areas with "street legal" only access, so dual sport is the most practical way to ride everything worth riding.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
It would be nice to put together a ride in that area. Maybe a mini spodefest? They seem to be a popular type of event. Were making the trip to Jawbone/Dove Springs this weekend. As it gets warmer we like going up in elevation to keep cool. We plan on spending time at Kennedy Meadows and few others this summer. If anyone wants to put something together I would be willing to help.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Be happy to oblige.
Did one last summer and had ~10 riders and a great time. The best routes "technically" require license plates, however, several enduros are run up here with green stickered bikes through "street legal" trails. Would not recommend red sticker bikes. Lots of options on trail difficulty, but the best scenic rides tend to follow/go to creeks (Holcomb/Deep Creek).
I figure, with all the snow last winter, this summer will be one of the prettiest in the back woods.

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
Im in,I really want to ride that trail that drops down into the desert.Im already riding every weekend in may so I wont be able to get up there till june.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
As long as its all green sticker not within the next 2 weeks I will for sure be there

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
Do they actually enforce the red sticker thing,I worked on the trails with the rangers once and those rangers said they let the red stickers slide.I also was told by the rangers at gorman that they were also letting it slide.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Brett- I am not sure about Big Bear but a few months back at 138 they were writing tickets. They also said they could impound if they needed to

They also advised us to carry the registration and a copy of id.

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
I've wanted to ride the trail network in Big Bear, but don't have a clue where to begin and am wary of getting lost. A group ride would be a lot of fun.

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
Jeff,
were they giving people tickets with red stickers for riding out of season or were they giving tickets to people that had no green or red sticker.I have not heard of anyone getting hasseled over the red sticker thing.

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
How about some options for my fellow DRNr's:

1) We'll be riding almost every weekend through the summer, starting now. The deep woods are our favorite and offer the most scenic rides (Deep Creek, Holcomb Creek & when we're really energetic; John Bull). Anyone interested in a particular weekend, just e-mail me. We're haapy to have new folks join us.

2) My group is all licensed dual-sports and we normally ride into the woods from the City of Big Bear Lake, but if you're green sticker, we can meet at a staging/camping area in the woods. I recommend either Crab Flats or Big Pine, both really nice campgrounds. Also, both of these have green access to Deep Creek and hopefully Devil's Hole, which is scheduled to re-open next month. We've done this before with other DRNr's and it worked out pretty good.

3) For dual sporters, we can meet up in the City and ride into the woods. This enables access to Holcomb Creek and John Bull too. (both very pristine, latter considered a double diamond run).

4) We stage another Big Bear spode-fest with a combination of green/dualsport and do a "super-loop", which requires about a fourth of the ride on street legal fire-roads. We also split the group, allowing some to take the really tough stuff, but converging at common meeting places. While on the fire roads, greens ride inside/in-between the duals.

Red's pretty risky. I know the ranger that patrols the Deep Creek area and while he and other rangers do not have enforcement authority, they will call in the Sheriff who will ticket and has been known to impound. Sorry.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I know in Ballinger there is one Ranger who is an absolute A$$. Anybody who rides there much knows who I'm talking about. Anyway the last time we were there he hasled my friend over his YZ400 because he had a green stcker and according to the law the bike should have had a red sticker. He went so far as to tell him he could'nt ride. My friend pulled out the registration and showed him it was legally registered with the green sticker. We finally told him we were going to ride anyway so he better just give us the ticket and then explain whay he ticketed a green sticker bike. So I guess it really depends on the ranger. I know the guys at Gorman are really good. But I also know they are are being pressured to up the enforcement including the sound issue. There is one nice big loophole in the law. Get the bike street registered. It easy and doesn't cost much. Once you have a street plate the red/green sticker law doesn't apply. The only time you need all the street legal stuff is if you are on the pavement. DMV doesn't even inspect the bike you have the lights inspected by a dealer and then just turn in the paper work with $48 to DMV and walk out with a plate.

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
Most my regulars are red sticker guys, last weekend we were at dove and the ranger came thru camp while most of us were on a ride, the ranger told everyone they had to have regi and drivers license on them at all times he also said he could hall them into jail and take the long way there if you know what i mean.This was a camp with mostly women and children most the guys were on a ride,I have talked to this guy before and he is a cyco they have to remember if they stop us from riding they wont have jobs.

Top Bottom